7mm Wagon Stock Box

Jack

I have needed some stock boxes for a while for my 7mm stock, not least because some of the kits I have built won't go back in their original boxes, and I have a cquired a few second hand purchases which came unboxed.  perhaps more importantly, I got bored of the packing and unpacking every time I had a running session ... fine for a couple of locos, but the wagons were quite tedious ...

... so, here is my solution (copied form someone I saw at Tonbridge show a few years ago.

A 24 Litre Really Useful Box (the hardened type).  A laser cut ply frame from Tim Horn.  Varnished, secured with impact adhesive and padded with 2mm Hobby Foam from Hobby Craft.  Finally, I have added antiqued brass label holders to make packing away quicker (especially as the outer spaces are wider than the inner ones and therefore suited to different stock).

IMG_4635.JPG.2a78be78232448f41d6754f89cc3ba1c.JPG

IMG_4638.JPG.5d2138347a8c2b57d2511e42dfb3f0b0.JPG

Oh, and just in case they get knocked over, I have used some upholstery foam wrapped in an old pillow case to protect the top ... well, what else can you do with 80's bedding!!

IMG_4639.JPG.4f3c9db490d4eed66b39a6093ec5f348.JPG

• Like 4

Here is a pic of the wood inserts from Tim Horn, they simply slot into the plastic box (although the bottom outer corners needed a bit of sanding as the box bottom is slightly rounded.

Revised.jpg.25513710909730b797926c4c02d52443.jpg

• Like 1

On 29/05/2020 at 06:31, Hal Nail said:

I'd already bought a box and some thicker foam board which I was intending to use as dividers on it's own - how critical do you think the wooden insert is?

If you already have some good quality foam then use that.  I went for the wood option because I didn't have any foam to hand and the person who came up with the idea had used wood.  The 2mm hobby foam, plus a piece of kitchen roll, seems to protect the stock very well.

By using wood it has meant I have been able to attached the label holders to each compartment.  When you look down on a full box of stock you can't always tell whats in each tray.

• Thanks 1