Markits - customer experiences

97xx

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An update on my previous post from 18th November

I had ordered two sets of 6 GWR 5' 8" wheels this year and they both had nickel Silver tyres

I manage to damage one of the wheels so I wanted a replacement pair of wheels & axle.

The wheels from Wizard a couple of weeks ago (including the replacement 5'8" wheels), have what I assume are stainless steel tyres as they are much more silvery in colour but don't seem very magnetic, unlike Alan Gibson wheels.

• 7 months later...

Just got off the phone with Markits, very helpful very nice chap, we were having a grand conversation about Casting wheels, machining tyres and so forth, can confirm Stainless Steel tyres these days, for anyone trying to contact him, send an email and include your phone number, he will call you back. there's only 2 - 3 people there and most of the time they are in the workshops so won't answer the phone ,but as I discovered this evening they are happy to call you back well after their listed opening hours.

Oh and I think he said they'd cast over 100,000 wheels this year so not about to go out of business in the near future just in case anyone was worried.

David

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had a similar experience yesterday with Colin at Alan Gibson. I phoned mid afternoon and there was no answer so I left a message, just before 6 he called me back, I would have thought by then they would have been long gone home for a well earned rest. And we complain service standards have dropped.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I had a similar experience yesterday with Colin at Alan Gibson. I phoned mid afternoon and there was no answer so I left a message, just before 6 he called me back, I would have thought by then they would have been long gone home for a well earned rest. And we complain service standards have dropped.

I would say it's typical of many of the smaller suppliers, where 9AM - 5PM work hours is just a dream.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Do we think it might be fairer to change the title of this thread as the vast majority are positive comments?

Probably better to just let it die and start a new one with whatever good experience you have had personally? I mean in general, doesn't have to be physically you.

Then it is on record that people have had a "bad experience" in the past. But the new thread might be a bit more relevant to the situation now.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• AY Mod changed the title to Markits - customer experiences

As an aside there used to be years ago a local model shop that had a big sign at eye level on the door "To Browse: definition - the movement of cattle across a field".

The proprietor apparently only had one answer to any question "No"

It was a joy to shop there lol

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2020 at 17:51, melmerby said:

have what I assume are stainless steel tyres as they are much more silvery in colour but don't seem very magnetic, unlike Alan Gibson wheels.

That's right, new wheels from Markits are now stainless steel.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

That's better and thanks. Too much small Trader bashing at length on some of these threads; some deserved, some not so. Seems a sign of the times to really 'have a go' and often not let go when the circumstances are not fully known. Wizard often have loads of Markits Wheels available.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm getting frustrated with markits I have always ordered parts from him and never had a problem till now

I had asked for a quote on some items which I received within a few days that was May by the time I ordered them it was June I e-mailed my credit card info except no 3 digit number and asked him to let me know when he received it so I could send him the rest of the info. After a week I e-mailed him again still no response so I emailed him again still no response finally I phoned him and must of got him on a bad day any way I gave him my credit card info and the estimate he had given me which was 14.55 sterling includes shipping that is about 25 Cdn dollars I asked him if he would let me know when it ships now 3 weeks later I have not heard from him but when I received my bank statement the price was 51 cdn dollars and still waiting for items to see what as happened. Ordering should not be this complicated I love the products but will order from someone else.

Derek

MB Canada 

Edited by Railways Forever

41 minutes ago, Railways Forever said:

I'm getting frustrated with markits I have always ordered parts from him and never had a problem till now

I had asked for a quote on some items which I received within a few days that was May by the time I ordered them it was June I e-mailed my credit card info except no 3 digit number and asked him to let me know when he received it so I could send him the rest of the info. After a week I e-mailed him again still no response so I emailed him again still no response finally I phoned him and must of got him on a bad day any way I gave him my credit card info and the estimate he had given me which was 14.55 sterling includes shipping that is about 25 Cdn dollars I asked him if he would let me know when it ships now 3 weeks later I have not heard from him but when I received my bank statement the price was 51 cdn dollars and still waiting for items to see what as happened. Ordering should not be this complicated I love the products but will order from someone else.

Derek

MB Canada 

Firstly, a little punctuation would have made understanding your post so much easier.

Secondly, your first resort is to your credit card provider; tell them that the amount charged has not been authorised and they should put a hold on the transaction until such time as Markits provide justification.

CJI.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Railways Forever said:

Derek

MB Canada 

Use  Wizard models. A few posts back you would have seen that had you bothered.

P

• RMweb Premium

Lots of other people stock Markits including 247, Wizard and some others.  As others have said contact your credit card company and raise a dispute, that will get their attention if they are not responding to emails or calls. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All very well recommending other retailers. But do any have stock though? 

Wizard? Some wheels, but not much else. Even axles, axlebox bearings and crankpins aren't available.

Peters Spares? Not much in stock.

247 Developments? Worth asking. But he stopped selling wheels if that is what you need.

Even Tony Wright was asking for outside cranks for an Armstrong Goods the other day as he couldn't get them from Markits....

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

No idea. I just find the method for ordering a bit strange.

In that you have to use an outdated catalogue from 2013, then phone him up to ask for a price, then sort out payment.

That's why I use other retailers for getting Markits stuff. Just that they seem to be struggling getting the stock.

Jason

Has to be remembered, and had this conversation with Mr Markits before, he just doesn't have time to reply to emails, as he's a one man band making, machining these parts, and answering phones, taking orders, unfortunately there comes a point where you don't have time for everything.
There has been times where orders take a month or 2, or a return call takes a few weeks, totally understandable...

Most of those who stock his parts do have stock, and have seen a few places with parts that you mention... just have to find them.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

6 minutes ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Has to be remembered, and had this conversation with Mr Markits before, he just doesn't have time to reply to emails, as he's a one man band making, machining these parts, and answering phones, taking orders, unfortunately there comes a point where you don't have time for everything.
There has been times where orders take a month or 2, or a return call takes a few weeks, totally understandable...

Most of those who stock his parts do have stock, and have seen a few places with parts that you mention... just have to find them.

That's the problem. It's a very old fashioned and time poor method of working, and is probably the same problem that Modelmasters has.

How long is he on the phone for when someone is ordering? Twenty minutes? Half an hour? How many calls can he take a day whilst he should be doing something else. Not many.

I can answer far more emails than I can phone calls in the same time. And I'm a total technophobe. How quickly can you read an email. Couple of minutes? 

As for others having stock.

https://www.petersspares.com/detailing-markits.irc

Great having wheels, but useless without the basics which haven't been in stock for months.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/rm4/

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/rm2/

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/00axle/

Loads of other gaps here.

Wizard Markits

Jason

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's the problem. It's a very old fashioned and time poor method of working, and is probably the same problem that Modelmasters has.

How long is he on the phone for when someone is ordering? Twenty minutes? Half an hour? How many calls can he take a day whilst he should be doing something else. Not many.

I can answer far more emails than I can phone calls in the same time. And I'm a total technophobe. How quickly can you read an email. Couple of minutes? 

As for others having stock.

https://www.petersspares.com/detailing-markits.irc

Great having wheels, but useless without the basics which haven't been in stock for months.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/rm4/

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/rm2/

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/00axle/

Loads of other gaps here.

Wizard Markits

Jason

Jason

The real problems are down to most of these smaller companies being run by people as a cottage industry not generating sufficient income for additional staff, also many are run by folk who prefer to use more traditional methods. If anything its getting harder to trade for these businesses and many are either nearing or in retirement. These businesses are hard to sell and perhaps are worth little or no money to others

Markits is a very technical business to run, as you need an engineering background, knowledge of using computer controlled machinery, along with an interest/knowledge of model railways.

Take C&L for instance it was days away from being lost and has taken many years and thousands of pounds in investments to reinvigorate it. Sadly far too many think they could do better without realising the difficulties traders face running small businesses. Mark is renowned for running his business a bit differently, but it works for him !! 

Recently I had dealings with one of the so called better companies who have a successful model railway business and staff (internet and all). Sounded pretty disinterested when I phoned up with an order and said it would take nearly a week before they would get round to posting it, in the scheme of things it was not an issue and the item duly arrived. Just proves even the supposedly better run companies have their issues  from time to time  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Jason

The real problems are down to most of these smaller companies being run by people as a cottage industry not generating sufficient income for additional staff, also many are run by folk who prefer to use more traditional methods. If anything its getting harder to trade for these businesses and many are either nearing or in retirement. These businesses are hard to sell and perhaps are worth little or no money to others

Markits is a very technical business to run, as you need an engineering background, knowledge of using computer controlled machinery, along with an interest/knowledge of model railways.

Take C&L for instance it was days away from being lost and has taken many years and thousands of pounds in investments to reinvigorate it. Sadly far too many think they could do better without realising the difficulties traders face running small businesses. Mark is renowned for running his business a bit differently, but it works for him !! 

Recently I had dealings with one of the so called better companies who have a successful model railway business and staff (internet and all). Sounded pretty disinterested when I phoned up with an order and said it would take nearly a week before they would get round to posting it, in the scheme of things it was not an issue and the item duly arrived. Just proves even the supposedly better run companies have their issues  from time to time  

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good your product is, or whether you prefer making them to selling them; if customers who wish to buy are effectively prevented from doing do, the products may as well cease to exist.

It is abundantly clear from reading this thread that there is a large body of suppressed demand for the excellent Markits products.

It is also evident that Mark prefers the challenges of production to the, to him, boring aspects of sales and marketing.

I am as sure as I can be that the cost of employing someone to deal with sales, or appointing a sales outlet,  would be covered by increased turnover / profit. Mark, though, probably doesn't want the hassle of employing someone or liaising with a sales agent.

I do know what I'm talking about - back in 1999 I set up Cambridge Custom Transfers, intending to offer a bespoke transfer service.

It rapidly became clear that demand exceeded my ability to handle it, so the bespoke aspect was dropped in favour of selling what I produced for myself.

Reality should not be optional; provide resources to match demand or reduce the scope of your business; failing to do so leads to a bad reputation.

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2