Those Airfix B-set coaches...

In my return to RM, I came across a pair of Airfix B-set coaches.

Not the pinnacle of fidelity I must admit, looking at what is available RTR now.

However, not to be totally outdone I have attempted to do a little detailing.  Apologies to those who really know what they are talking about and doing, but I limited my adjustments to:

• Close coupling but admittedly retaining the incorrect bow end bufferbeams here plus 'small' buffers
  • Milling off brake end same and replacing with flat beams plus correct pattern buffers
  • Adding the frame strengthener to bogies between axleboxes
  • Milling off vac cylinders and battery boxes and replacing with (slightly) more realistic and correctly positioned ones
  • Fabricating some approximate V-hangers from microstrip
  • Renumbering one from W 6894 W to 6895, the stablemate I believe it was mated with on the Higham Branch (?)
  • Adding bars to guard's van windows
  • Painting innards in 'first' and 'second' colours, plus 'wood' panelling
  • Adding First and No Smoking to windows
  • replacing wheelset with metal-tyred 
  • Added guard's steps (differnet I know but that was all I had...)
  • P.S. I don't think the Collett 7' bogies had steps for the double-doored brake end?
  • A bit of light weathering
  • Oh, and Dublo couplings!

I admit I did not go as far as to remove the errant guard's window - as that means a complete repaint. And then really need to re-glaze...

I did want to add brake blocks but struggled to find any (white metal or brass etches) that were going to work without major bogie redesign plus the need to install pinpoint bearings to keep axles precisely centred (and off of blocks).

All said, an amateur at work, but hopefully look a bit more presentable.

Not sure many will be that interested in these old models now, but have had very positive comments on my other efforts so happy to share my misdemeanours!

IMG_6671D.jpeg

IMG_6672D.jpeg

IMG_6673D.jpeg

IMG_6674D.jpeg

IMG_6675D.jpeg

Edited by 97xx
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Similar to mine, but these have now been withdrawn from service pending the building of E147 Comets correct for my area/period, Tondu 1948-58.  There were E129s on the Ferndale branch, but not as far as I can find the Tondu branches.  Despite this attempt at correct stock, I've cut'n'shut 'em into an all 3rd, W 5638 W, which is very much a 'layout' coach and handy as a strengthener.

It's worth repainting them as Airfix's interpretation of 1956 unlined maroon is a bit purple for my taste, even new and it doesn't age well.  I also replaced all the vents on the all third conversion as some were missing.