Rails Of Sheffield - Offers on Ebay.

Waverley47708

I made an offer on a Buy It Now  item late last night. Almost instantly and certainly in less than a few minutes the offer was rejected.  I had assumed Rails would have been closed for the night and had not expected a response so quickly.

At that time I wondered if they have preset what offer on a buy it now item they are prepared to take. So I thought I'd try again.

I them made another offer about 5 or 10 minutes later expecting the same an almost instant acceptance or decline.  This time no response other than the standerd Ebay message the the offer is being considered.

This got me wondering why one offer got an instant response and one submitted minutes later didn't. 

Did I just happen to catch someone on the late shift who was online for the first offer but had signed off by the second offer a few minutes later.

Is there a preset level at which offers are automatically refused, accepted and a level  between those two at which depending on the circumstances an offer may  be accepted but this requires someone in office hours to look at it.

Are all first offers declined!

I wonder how others have got on with making offers for buy it now items on the Rails of Sheffield Ebay site.

• RMweb Premium

A seller can set a preset amount under which the offer is auto declined. That happens quickly. 

what I don’t understand is the buyers who do that and then decline offers over that amount manually, as it’s clear that’s not really their floor amount!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I did not know sellers could set a lower limit.  Given the speed that it was declined esp at the time if night that makes sense.

I wonder if my first offer was below a preset figure and the second was above it.  I guess if you are above the lower limit a number of factors like the number of people watching it, how long it has been on and how many other bids may then come into play.  This may require someone during office hours to look at it.

Is it possible to set a level above which the offer is automatically accepted, presumably below the buy it now price.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes you can set a level to accept the offer.

I've found with RoS they are usually quite lenient with their offer limit, you can sometimes get quite a bit off the starting price - but their starting prices can be quite optimistic ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Half-full
54 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Thanks, I did not know sellers could set a lower limit.  Given the speed that it was declined esp at the time if night that makes sense.

I wonder if my first offer was below a preset figure and the second was above it.  I guess if you are above the lower limit a number of factors like the number of people watching it, how long it has been on and how many other bids may then come into play.  This may require someone during office hours to look at it.

Is it possible to set a level above which the offer is automatically accepted, presumably below the buy it now price.

You can set a minimum price where offers below will be automatically rejected, and a limit where the first offer at or over a certain amount will be automatically accepted.

As soon as there is a bid on it, the best offer facility disappears, so if there are multiple offers, but still below the acceptance price then I guess RoS would either accept the highest, make a counter offer to the highest or decline and let it run until the acceptance price was reached

I've found them to be very good at accepting cheeky offers!

Ok this is weird.

My initial offer of £70 was immediately rejected as mentioned above.

My offer of £75 around 2300 resulted in a counter offer of £79 just after midnight.  I only realised I had got a counter offer this morning when I checked to see if my £75 offer had been accepted.

However rather annoyingly I got another message this morning saying

This item is no longer available.

Your offer expired.

On another page on My Ebay it says it sold for £75, how does that work.

Confused and a little disappointed.

Guest Half-full
3 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Ok this is weird.

My initial offer of £70 was immediately rejected as mentioned above.

My offer of £75 around 2300 resulted in a counter offer of £79 just after midnight.  I only realised I had got a counter offer this morning when I checked to see if my £75 offer had been accepted.

However rather annoyingly I got another message this morning saying

This item is no longer available.

Your offer expired.

On another page on My Ebay it says it sold for £75, how does that work.

Confused and a little disappointed.

Someone else may have put in an offer for £75 before you and if a counter offer was made and accepted, the stated sale price would be what the offer was made on, regardless of what it actually was!  A bit confusing, but it is eBay and they have strange ways!

• RMweb Gold

With EBay you can set a level above which an offer is automatically accepted.  You can also set a level below which an offer is automatically declined. Any offers between these levels have to be considered manually.

Example:

BIN price £100

Automatically accept offers over £90.

Automatically decline offers below £70.

Between £70 and £90 means I'll think about it.  I might get several offers between £70 and £90 and this gives me the option of choosing which one, if any, to accept.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Half-full said:

eBay is there to make money, RoS are there to make money, do you see that as a problem?

That's what I was saying  -  both sides (seller and potential buyer) are playing  COMMERCIAL  games.

So no problem.

• Like 2

I also find that a PM can be beneficial - you only get '3 goes' before you have no offers left, so a little background can be helpful.

Rails are excellent and have always given me a good service in this respect.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 2

28 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

That's what I was saying  -  both sides (seller and potential buyer) are playing  COMMERCIAL  games.

So no problem.

Absolutely Ebay is a game or a dance if you like!

In this instance I lost out.  Pity I hadn't seen the counter offer from just after midnight as I would have paid it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The other thing to note is that when more than one person is watching an item on eBay any offer you send out as a seller goes out to ALL watchers.  So a counter offer could be accepted by another watcher who happens to be on line at the time.

Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Several years ago when I used to purchase from their eBay store I found that an offer less than about 10% off listing price was generally accepted.  I always found them very courteous and helpful,  however,  with Australia imposing a 10% GST on overseas purchases on eBay,  I find I no longer look to purchase eBay items overseas.   I also found their items to be overpriced so an offer was generally an option.

Edited by GWR-fan
Grammar

• RMweb Gold

Having an auto-reject is a real bonus for sellers.

it can be very annoying to have vexacious low offers from buyers who are just trying it on and waste your time. I don't know how many times Ive had a £10-£30 offer for a £100+ loco.

Similarly some buyers just play the game on price, its amazing how some reveal themselves early in the negotiation, then dance around a difference of £2 or £3, and its sweet justice when someone else enters the ring and just buys it. 

I had one this weekend, he was selling a loco ive been after for ages, rejected two of my offers, one less than 10% of his asking, so I messaged.. he responded saying he doesn't want to accept offers on this one. I added a few locos i want to move on that night, He later that night made an offer that was 40% less than was asking for a model I was selling... I responded saying he had earlier rejected my interest on his, he later tried haggling with me on his model as a partex (full price his vs what discount he wanted off mine)..hmm..., however someone else bought mine for full asking an hour later, so I stopped responding to his mails.

ebay is full of chancers, though on balance in this lockdown i’m finding it a sellers market currently.. theres so little decent stuff out there, manufactuers havent made much new recently, and everyones at home modelling..

Though not sure how long it will last... good weather, end lockdown, supplies arriving and interesting economic times ahead could see a burst.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

38 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

........................................ though on balance in this lockdown i’m finding it a sellers market currently.. theres so little decent stuff out there, manufactuers havent made much new recently, and everyones at home modelling..

Though not sure how long it will last... good weather, end lockdown, supplies arriving and interesting economic times ahead could see a burst.

I had thought with so many unemployed and postage times being impacted that it would be pointless continuing to list items on eBay,  but as stated it is currently a seller's market.  The last three months have been continuing sales like the lead up to Christmas,  so much so that against my grain I started offering items for auction rather than my usual "Buy it Now".   I suspect that shilling downunder is ripe so I have always only offered buy it now listings previously to avoid any suspicion.  However, the few items that I have currently listed for auction have gone gangbusters,  with current bidding more than I was expecting for a buy it now listing,  although  I do usually offer items far below the price of the many chancers  on Australian eBay,  as I want an item to sell not carry over month to month unsold.  How long will it last,  for a little while yet I hope?

Ive had a few offers accepted by rails via there ebay. I like to buy the bundles of wagons they put up. Almost always make an offer and most of the time its accepted. 

Best deal I got was getting £20 off a £160 via the make offer button. Was well 'chuffed' 

• RMweb Gold

I recall making an offer on a Bose speaker at the amount they had on Ebay as I thought it was a fair price. The seller rejected that amount and asked for double what they had first put it on Ebay. I just walked away from the keyboard. Since then I haven't tried to make an offer on such offers.

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2020 at 08:25, Les1952 said:

when more than one person is watching an item on eBay any offer you send out as a seller goes out to ALL

I dont think that's the case if a seller makes a counter offer in direct response to an offer received from one potential buyer?

• RMweb Gold
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 07:36, Hal Nail said:

I dont think that's the case if a seller makes a counter offer in direct response to an offer received from one potential buyer?

Correct, a counter offer only goes to the person who made an offer.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

One thing that I associate the Rails eBay page with is bargains! More often than not an offer is accepted by them in my experience, and I’ve had some really low offers accepted! They aren’t as good as they used to be for it, but still better than all the other shops with an eBay presence.  And yeah, there is often someone responding late at night over the weekend!

On 02/06/2020 at 19:29, roundhouse said:

I recall making an offer on a Bose speaker at the amount they had on Ebay as I thought it was a fair price. The seller rejected that amount and asked for double what they had first put it on Ebay. I just walked away from the keyboard. Since then I haven't tried to make an offer on such offers.

You’ve confused their auction starting price with the price they want for it.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...

I have also found Rails quite fair when it comes to making an offer for their items. sometimes though with other sellers you do wonder why they even bother enabling this, as you make them an offer, and they counter with something thats almost at the starting price they want (ive found recently anyway)

NL