The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

wildlife camera traps advice needed

jbqfc

• RMweb Premium

i looking at buying a camera trap for the garden having had a look they are so many to choose from 

so can any of you recommend one to buy 

Thanks John 

• RMweb Gold

Hi john

i bought an Apeman 16MP off Amazon ... about 50 sqiddlies.

very happy with it... hedgehog clips are my YouTube stream ... Abbotswood Junction

cheers 

Phil 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil that looks very good for the price i also want it mostly for night time use 

John 

6 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

bought an Apeman 16MP off Amazon ... about 50 sqiddlies.

• Like 1

I bought one last week, having studied the feedback and looking at reviews on youtube, I plumped for the Spypoint Solar-W which can use batteries, but you don't need to as it has a built in solar panel and internal battery. So far so good, seems well made, though not the cheapest.

PICT0087.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't offer any advice except that we've tried many different trail cameras without finding one that's totally reliable and issue-free.

Ltl Acorns - we've had three, one of which failed due to a switch malfunction (too complicated to fix) and one which needed servicing shortly

after purchase due to a screen fault.

I bought two Konig units which both developed screen faults. They still work, but can't be programmed so no way to set time/date or trigger mode etc.

More recently (2019) we bought a Bushnell because they seem to have a good rep and you often see them used on programs like Springwatch. But

this unit has also developed a screen fault. We'll have to wait until lockdown ends to see where we lie with regards to the warranty.

Not long ago my wife got a unit from Lidl which seems to be working quite well. But I'm very frustrated at the overall failure rate and non-reliability

of what should be robust equipment, We treat them really carefully, too, and I've been careful to try a range of battery types in each unit.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/05/2020 at 12:23, Phil Bullock said:

i bought an Apeman 16MP off Amazon ... about 50 sqiddlies.

i am happy with mine nothing over night so i things i did to stop the rats coming from next door seem to have worked 

my first video 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bought a "Swann" 5Mpix unit from Maplin many years back when they were on offer, not the greatest resolution (640x480) but has worked fine until recently when the sensitivity has dropped noticeably.

Can't get it to trigger on anything much less than human size.

Mind you the lens over the IR detector, which was originally translucent white is now an opaque dark grey, with cracks across it.

I suspect the weather has degraded it so much that little IR light gets through now.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

My Bushnell has now gone back to the shop for repair. It failed during lockdown so we'll see where we are with regards to the warranty - on the box it says one year but the man in the shop seemed to think it would still be covered.

The unit I'm quite happy with so far, both on reliability, sensitivity and battery life, is a Bresser (via Lidl) which seems to be working well. The only fiddle is that it only tales micro-SD cards and I nearly lost it by dropping it in the grass. How much more pointlessly fiddly do things need to be?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1