Dingham (Auto-Couplings) Still Trading?

Hi Everyone,

Just using a mobile device to post this, apologies if this is in the wrong area (only limited data viewable on a mobile phone).

Does anyone know if Dingham (auto couplers) are still in business or functional during "lockdown"?

Many thanks in anticipation.

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
typos/grammar

4 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

There's plenty of contact information on their website:

http://www.dingham.co.uk

Maybe you should ask them directly?

David

I have David,

Emails and numerous phone calls.

Thanks for the link - I always contact a supplier or potential supplier first before asking here.

ATVB,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

As I was typing the above, Ive had an email from Trevor at Dingham. He's working at a reduced rate - which is understandable. I was concerned as their phone line was acting up. But all is well that ends well.

ATVB
CME.

Thank you,

I always appreciate it when the OP closes the loop on a query. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Can I ask do you have the doubled up versions on your locos (are your locos turned)?

I am afraid that I don't have a layout yet, I am just building the stock at the moment.
Also I have not made any couplings up yet but I will soon as the chemical blackener has arrived. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, commsbloke said:

I am afraid that I don't have a layout yet, I am just building the stock at the moment.
Also I have not made any couplings up yet but I will soon as the chemical blackener has arrived. 

Ahhhh, understood CB, thanks for the reply. Good luck, it's addictive stock building!

As I plan on having a small turntable, I suspect I'll have to use the doubled up versions on steam locos.

I've not seen it done or any in action, hence my question.

Atvb

CME

If you plan on using fixed passenger rakes you have the option of putting loops on the ends of the rakes and hooks on the engines. For goods shunting don’t turn the engines. The problem with having loops on both ends of the engines is that the advantages of delayed action are lost. On my own layout I have an imaginary hill before the station that requires steam to run tender first  into the station to protect the crown sheet. The layout that Dinghams were originally designed for was Lofthouse on Nidderdale which only used tank engines AFAIK so turning was never a problem.

HTH

David

They work great on curves greater than 5ft under this they can be a little problematic, but it does state that in the instructions.  Also make sure that you have them all at the same height.

Marc

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Furness Wagon said:

They work great on curves greater than 5ft under this they can be a little problematic

For problem rolling stock it's not too difficult to attach wider loops:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118922-kylestrome’s-4mm-workbench-–-wagons-whisky-galore/&do=findComment&comment=2707035

David

They aren't great. They will go round the curve but they don't like coupling or uncoupling on the curve. They also bind and can give you buffer lock on wagons that don't have sprung buffers. I'm designing modified loops so that they work better on my micro layout.

I've, also, made sure that I'm only using 15ft long wagon on a 9ft wheel base as a maximum sided wagon. This is more to do with the radius of the curve than the couplings as they work fine with out any modifications through a standard peco 6ft point that I have on my other layout.

Marc

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm expecting the test etches for my  Flippem Automatic Coupling System should be with me by then of this week. I'm planning to fit them to some stock over Christmas and test them on WC Boggs. I have no doubts they will work but I would like to prove that they work in all conditions before I sell any.

Marc Dobson

Pre-Grouping Railways

1 hour ago, Andy Healey said:

Ah, that explains, many thanks, I hope the guy gets well and someone takes over this excellent product. Will keep an eye out as I only have a few left.

https://www.gaugeoguild.com/news/news_details.aspx?id=3022

Not sure if you have to logged on to read this, but in essence, the Guild has taken over the product.

Dave

Edited by daifly
Note

The etches for the prototype Flippem Automatic Coupling arrived about an hour ago. They look good if I do say myself. I'm going to fit some to some stock over the Christmas weekend, the Boss is on nights. So I will post some photos shortly

Marc

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1