Dapol 58xx/ 48xx sound

swiftbeam

Hi,

I just bought an O Gauge Dapol 58xx/ 48xx and want to fit DCC and sound.

I have very little understanding of fitting decoders into locos other than doing a hand full of 00 locos and an O gauge LegoBiffo 08 card with sound.

It is my understanding that Youchoos do a great sounding file for the 58xx/ 48xx, the sample on their site sounds good to my ear.

Am I correct in thinking this?

I want the biggest sound I can get in this loco, Youchoos suggest their IceCube28X18X08.

Should I go with this or has anybody managed to fit a bigger or better one?

I'm looking for the biggest sound I can get within the loco with the best bass.

Thanks

Which loco do you have?

The 48xx are auto trailer fitted so you could have the auto trailer sound feature on that loco if you are intending to use it with the auto trailer.

The 58xx were not auto trailer fitted so that would be just normal use.

Wiggy.

I doubt you can improve on the YouChoos custom sound fit with upgraded speaker for the 48xx. Plus they have an illustrated guide showing how to install it, they are very helpful and they will even do the delicate decoder soldering for you. Perfect if it's your first time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

I doubt you can improve on the YouChoos custom sound fit with upgraded speaker for the 48xx. Plus they have an illustrated guide showing how to install it, they are very helpful and they will even do the delicate decoder soldering for you. Perfect if it's your first time. 

Hello,  Yes, I'm inclined to agree :-)

Edit, I just found out that the 14xx Youchoos sound also has the auto coach as well, job done, I'm sold :)

Edited by swiftbeam
extra info

I pushed the button on the Youchoos full set (decoder, biggest twin speaker for engine and  stay alive).

I'm no expert, but I can report back if anybody is interested in my opinion of the sound quality and texture?

If no message left here, I'll not bother you all with my opinion, up to you :)

1 minute ago, Richard Croft said:

I'll be interested to hear what it sounds like, I've never been blown away by a Youchoos diesel but people say their steam stuff is better, I've not heard many.

Richard

What diesel sounds have you been blown away by?

I have a Warship to sound and a 14 Ted on order, guna need sounds for those.

Thanks.

Your not taking over anything, I'm very glad of the help, I'm still very new to DCC and sound and I need all the help I can get :)

My 42 NEEDS DCC as the slow speed crawl is not all that great, so some DCC low control will help and she is naked without sound. I spent years thundering around 5" tracks with my fully loaded 42 and to have my O gauge 42 without sound is a bit sad.

So moving on slightly from the sound for the 14xx, I need to ask about the 42 :D

That Howes does sound good, but is there any merit in getting as many sounds form Youchoos for general consistency of electronics?

Does anybody know if the Howes is much better than the Youchoos?

I have a Biffo in my 08.

Edited by swiftbeam

On 31/05/2020 at 12:58, swiftbeam said:

So moving on slightly from the sound for the 14xx, I need to ask about the 42 :D

That Howes does sound good, but is there any merit in getting as many sounds form Youchoos for general consistency of electronics?

Does anybody know if the Howes is much better than the Youchoos?

I have a Biffo in my 08.

Used to have Howes sound in my Warship but the turbo whistle used to drive me mad .

Listened to the Youchoos sound online but doesn't sound convincing to my ear .

Biffo's version is , to the best of my knowledge the only sound project to use actual Warship engine sounds .

All other sound projects borrowed the Western loco sounds so with Bifs project , you're getting the real thing and not an imitation .

Bought one recently , fitted it to my western with an EM2 speaker to try it out .

Sounds great ! 

Uploaded the video to the Modelling diesel hydraulics group on Facebook. 

Albie 

If you have the project from Legomanbiffo you will need his wiring digram to wire the Heljan lights up.

I'm assuming you are talking Heljan warship as the page title is Dapol 48xx/58xx?

Wiggy.