Halfords car paints updates

21 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

We still need a BR blue. I use rail match spray cans for blue, but the Halfords are better value and last longer I've found.

BS381c 114 is rail blue

Pretty much any supplier of mixed aerosols should be able to oblige.

For example.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BS381C-114-RAIL-BLUE-2k-Acrylic-400ml-Aerosol/323502091583?hash=item4b523a2d3f:g:bSoAAOSwdbVbxbWi

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Red Devil said:

BS381c 114 is rail blue

Pretty much any supplier of mixed aerosols should be able to oblige.

For example.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BS381C-114-RAIL-BLUE-2k-Acrylic-400ml-Aerosol/323502091583?hash=item4b523a2d3f:g:bSoAAOSwdbVbxbWi

Is that the answer now? Rather than trying to match to an ever decreasing range, provide a table of the information needed to get paint mixed?

Roy 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Found this site, might help as it lists a few colour codes used by British rail which you can get mixed 

Might be worth contacting them or the one mentioned above and see if they can identify and then produce BR rail grey

Probably IS  worth coming up with a chart listing colours used and the codes to reproduce that colour for future reference as Halfords and other firms seam to be going more towards mixing as required rather than carrying huge selections of obsolete colours at each store

Edited by Mattc6911

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm looking at doing a couple of repaints to BR Blue in N, and I'm going to have a go at ordering a can of VW Pargas blue from my local Halfords (I rang up to check, and as long as I've got the number I can order it for collection next day), a question to those in the know, as I haven't tried a loco repaint yet...;

I'm guessing this paint will come in a gloss finish, will passing over the finished model after painting and adding the transfers with Halfords Matt Lacquer be the right way to go, or will it still look rubbish?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that VW Pargas Blue can be ordered at your local Halfords, along with any other colours that you have the code for.

I picked up one today, just done a test on both white and grey primer, and it comes up with a nice finish.

Slightly going o/t, but does anyone have Halford equivalents for Tilling red and cream bus paints? If anyone does, it will save me making up patch panels and trekking to Halfords which is a little way away....?

...But if I have to, I'll post results on here (make take a while though).

Stewart

• 6 months later...
On 20/06/2020 at 16:29, Gary White said:

Hi Does any body have the BSC Colour for BR Rail Grey 

So i can get it mixed 

Thanks 

Hi Gary,

I use RAL 7038 for Rail Grey and RAL 5020 for Rail Blue mixed from an auto paint supplier, I then seal the transfers with acrylic varnish and then Halfords satin varnish to finish.

One of the below is painted with Railmatch the other with RAL 5020, I don't have any in grey as I was beaten by the weather for outdoor spraying from September onward ! 

DSCF1178.JPG.f841536b953049435d81dd52e80c263a.JPG

DSCF1179.JPG.75df3b6bb8be7cdf136c905b52e971a1.JPG

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Gary,

I use RAL 7038 for Rail Grey and RAL 5020 for Rail Blue mixed from an auto paint supplier, I then seal the transfers with acrylic varnish and then Halfords satin varnish to finish.

One of the below is painted with Railmatch the other with RAL 5020, I don't have any in grey as I was beaten by the weather for outdoor spraying from September onward ! 

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

for locos those look spot-on. But for carriages my impression is that the blue started out a lot darker, and (apart from some pre-war SR EMUs in about 1970-1, i.e .some 4-CORS and 2-PANs) I don't think I've seen any blue-grey stock looking so light.

ĸen

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Hi Gibbo,

for locos those look spot-on. But for carriages my impression is that the blue started out a lot darker, and (apart from some pre-war SR EMUs in about 1970-1, i.e .some 4-CORS and 2-PANs) I don't think I've seen any blue-grey stock looking so light.

ĸen

Hi Ken,

After spaying the RAL5020 on it actually looked too light a shade although not by much, after it had been toned down a little with the application of the satin varnish is seemed almost identical to the Railmatch. I have to say when next to each other it is difficult to tell them apart, the RAL 5020 is both darker and lighter than some Hornby finishes and on a par with a Bachmann Mk1 RB once it has been varnished. That said the models were photographed in a strong light.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2020 at 18:31, Compound2632 said:

Now that Rover Damask Red seems to be no longer generally obtainable, what recomendations from the current range do folk have for a good match to Midland / LMS / BR crimson lake?

A bit late but i picked up a can of Mercedes Red from Halfords for my LMS locos. Looks similar shade to the Crimson but yet to test it properly.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2020 at 18:31, Compound2632 said:

Now that Rover Damask Red seems to be no longer generally obtainable, what recommendations from the current range do folk have for a good match to Midland / LMS / BR crimson lake?

I primised i would show results if i found a close match to crimson lake. Well, dont use Mercedes Jupiter Red. Even though the colour on the lid looks close to Crimson, in reality its way too bright.

On the left is Precision Paints Crimson Lake. On the right is the Halfords Mercedes Jupiter Red. 

Thats one option ruled out!! Anyine own a Jupiter Red Merc in need of a touch up???

Ian

20210228_170543.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, ianLMS said:

I primised i would show results if i found a close match to crimson lake. Well, dont use Mercedes Jupiter Red. Even though the colour on the lid looks close to Crimson, in reality its way too bright.

On the left is Precision Paints Crimson Lake. On the right is the Halfords Mercedes Jupiter Red. 

Thats one option ruled out!! Anyine own a Jupiter Red Merc in need of a touch up???

Ian

20210228_170543.jpg

Can I ask what colour primer you used? Halfords usually say to use over white but you can get quite a variation of you use red or grey. If that is over white then that colour over, say, Upol etch (which is a particularly dark grey) may be a fair bit closer.

Just to throw my bit in, I've used Peugeot Conifer Green as a reasonable match

for BR Loco (and everything else) green.

You can see the results (over mid-grey primer) over in Fictional Units (NOT BOARDROOMS!)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SR71 said:

Can I ask what colour primer you used? Halfords usually say to use over white but you can get quite a variation of you use red or grey. If that is over white then that colour over, say, Upol etch (which is a particularly dark grey) may be a fair bit closer.

I used car plan red primer. The halfords paint recommends a red primer for these shades. Grey primer for others.

• Like 1