Halfords car paints updates

• RMweb Premium

If a brownish primer was good for the Midland Railway, then the LMS for crimson lake  use the darkest brown primer you can find.. oh hang on a moment.. that will be browny red then...

Baz... 

• RMweb Premium
On 28/02/2021 at 18:37, Compound2632 said:

@Dave Hunt had advised me of a substitute but I've lost my note of what he said...

Sorry for not posting in reply to this sooner. I got a Rover Damask Red spray can recently from MPex at Marston Business Park, Rudgate, Tockworth, York YO 25 7QF  Tel. 01423 358000 email mpexdirect.com 

It's not cheap - about £11 per can IIRC - but it seems to be good stuff.

Dave

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...

Went into Halfords yesterday to get some Rover damask red (Rio Grande Southern maroon) to find what they had left was reduced. Could be that it will be discontinued, so stock up while you can. Was selling at £3.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, JZ said:

Went into Halfords yesterday to get some Rover damask red (Rio Grande Southern maroon) to find what they had left was reduced. Could be that it will be discontinued, so stock up while you can. Was selling at £3.

Interesting. It was being discounted a year ago and was then unavailable on Halfords' website. At the time I had an excuse to do some essential shopping at my local Halfords (replacement wing mirror glass) but they had none left in stock. But Halfords Winnersh is hardly a megastore.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, sagaguy said:

If you know the paint code,your local auto paint supplier will fill you a couple of cans,probably bigger and cheaper.

Many and various have been the suggestions but all involve more faff and probably greater expense* than walking into your local Halfords, which is why the disappearance of Rover Damask Red from their range is frustrating.

*You say bigger and cheaper but do I want / can I keep that much?

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

....more faff and probably greater expense than walking into your local Halfords....

Now that's the quote of the year! ANYTHING is easier and cheaper than Halfrauds......

Stewart

Maybe cheaper, not necessarily easier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, sagaguy said:

If you know the paint code,your local auto paint supplier will fill you a couple of cans,probably bigger and cheaper.

Ray.

One of the big attractions of Halfords spray cans is that they dont get clogged as often as other makes. 

• Agree 4

I use quite a lot of Belton Molotow spray cans these days from Great Art.Huge range of colours and pretty large cans and are much cheaper. My Dapol Deltic using Molotow Shock blue.

Ray. 

20201117_230858.jpg

Edited by sagaguy
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, PenrithBeacon said:

They are very useful paints,originally used by street and graffiti artists,they are low pressure and quick drying.This is a pretty close match for the Dublo SR green of the period.

Ray.

20180817_151926.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

https://www.greatart.co.uk/molotow-belton-premium-spray-paints.html

https://www.greatart.co.uk/liquitex-acrylic-spray-paints.html

There are more, but many of the common railway paintings in the BS381C range don't seem to be here. 

Neither does Halfords, if you want true railway colours, Railmatch or Precision are the only way to go. 

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Never used them (yet) but  you could try these:

Rover Damask

Note Hicoat have stopped doing the Damask Red.. which is probably why Halfords have as I understand that Hicoat was Halfords supplier.

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Halfords still do Fords Burgundy Red don't they?  I've mixed and matched coaches with burgundy red and damask red to get them looking the same but different if you see what I mean.

Yes, I dont understand this desire to have all rolling stock be identical in terms of colour. It just wasnt like that in real life. Coaches in a rake were painted at different times, and weathered slightly to difference degrees - environment also played a part. And thats before we get into the slight variations in paint batches used.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JohnR said:

Yes, I dont understand this desire to have all rolling stock be identical in terms of colour. It just wasnt like that in real life. Coaches in a rake were painted at different times, and weathered slightly to difference degrees - environment also played a part. And thats before we get into the slight variations in paint batches used.

A valid point but I have found in practice viewing layouts representing the Midland Railway that inconsistency in shad of the crimson lake sticks out like a sore thumb and spoils the illusion - especially if there's a vehicle that is too bright a shade. What in this context should vary, I think, is the varnish. Consider the second carriage in this train (the Longbridge workers train) - definitely overdue for re-varnshing but would there be any actual difference in colour?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

...so why was No 2035 fitted with Westinghouse equipment at this time?

Six of the 2000 Class were fitted with the Westinghouse brake between 1913 and1918-22 for working on the LTS section; 2035 was the last to retain it. Details in S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 4 (Irwell Press, 2005) pp. 162-3.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/04/2021 at 09:02, JohnR said:

I don't feel that it translates as well to miniature models. looks fine on the real thing but stands out and looks wrong to my eyes in model  form.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/04/2021 at 12:51, Compound2632 said:

A valid point but I have found in practice viewing layouts representing the Midland Railway that inconsistency in shad of the crimson lake sticks out like a sore thumb and spoils the illusion - especially if there's a vehicle that is too bright a shade. What in this context should vary, I think, is the varnish. Consider the second carriage in this train (the Longbridge workers train) - definitely overdue for re-varnshing but would there be any actual difference in colour?

I think the problem is that most of our visual references for the pre-nationalisation period are black & white, where such shading is difficult to pick up. Even post war, colour stock was not great.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I think the problem is that most of our visual references for the pre-nationalisation period are black & white, where such shading is difficult to pick up. Even post war, colour stock was not great.

Experimental archaeology would be the way forward except that, where painting specifications and formulae survive, many of the ingredients are no longer readily obtainable, and as to aging, we just don't have the atmospheric pollutants of yore.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/04/2021 at 15:23, Metr0Land said:

Halfords still do Fords Burgundy Red don't they?  I've mixed and matched coaches with burgundy red and damask red to get them looking the same but different if you see what I mean.

They do, but in some lights it's nothing like BR Red... in some photos I've taken it looks almost pink.

With regard to things being the same colour... I don't want that but for me I want to start with the same colour as a base coat, then weather or fade it out to create variations. I wouldn't mind if for example I used different brands of Rover Damask Red and there were slight variations.

• Like 1