MrSite pulling the plug on web hosting...1S76.com

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email from MrSite who host www.1S76.com and the Brightonmrc.com website to say they are closing down on the 30th of June. They are suggesting that people should move to Wordpress, who they have made a discounted deal with. 

I will certainly move the Brighton MRC site as it wouldn’t take too much to rebuild, not many pages.....but 1S76.com is a different matter. 

Any thoughts from anyone or do I close 1S76.com down.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Dreadful news!  Please do NOT close the 1S76.com web-site down, if possible.  You are providing much information of value to us all.  I know nothing about web-page compositing, but if it is possible to move it to a different host (I use Heart Internet for my e-mail, and have no complaints) I hope I will not be alone in my gratitude for its preservation.  Or you could just print it all in a book for us to buy!  :happy_mini:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had to move my website a couple of times in recent years as various hosting providers have either shut up shop or abandoned web hosting services and it has been a monumental PITA!!

At the moment I am using the free service at 000webhost.com which is all right (basically all I could find in a hurry that worked and didn't try and sneak some charges on you when they thought you weren't looking!!)  They do have paid for services as well that offer more webspace if you need it.

Beware when searching for webspace providers online, a lot of the so called free hosting is nothing of the sort and is often plagued with advertising, downtime hours and all sorts of things that the glossy welcoming page encouraging you to sign up conveniently fails to mention....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

On the third attempt last night I got to the head of the queue for an online chat........MrSite / TSOHOST are retaining the domain name side of things, you get a free year at Wordpress and you can transfer the domain names. I got them to give me instructions on how to do this as I’m not that tech savvy! So not a complete waste of an hour or so  sat in an online queue.

Watch this space.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/05/2020 at 07:00, Lantavian said:

Make sure the waybackmachine at archive.org archives every page. Then it will live forever for free.

archive.org is indeed a wonderful resources, but like most things on the Internet the idea of living on forever for free isn't a given.

At this specific moment, they are facing a lawsuit that could close them down for example.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/06/publishers-sue-internet-archive-over-massive-digital-lending-program/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve started to move the Brighton Model Railway Club website and domain name to Wordpress. Stalled somewhat at the moment as I need some release codes for the domain from MrSite which haven’t been sent to me yet. 

1S76.com will follow if I can grasp the way Wordpress works for editing. It’s all backed up.

Edited by acg5324
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The new Brighton MRC website is up and running but in the end I could not get the domain to transfer to Wordpress.

the new web address is brightonmrc.wordpress.com

1S76.com will temporarily finish on the 30/6/20. I hope to get it transferred to Wordpress later on.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bigP said:

Hi,

Sad news.  Has been a very useful site, with a lot of interesting resources on it.

Seeing as you've got a few titles under your belt already, how about turning 1S76 into a book? 

Kind Regards,

Paul

Funny you should say that......I’m currently working on the next book which is the NE-SW and NW-SE routes. What became Intercity cross country. I have an agreement to do one other which will be the West London Line so lots of coverage between the two.

I hope to be able to move 1S76.com, I don’t think it will be to Wordpress as when I transferred the Brightonmrc site I had to retype everything, it jumbled everything written with MS Frontpage.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Funny you should say that......I’m currently working on the next book which is the NE-SW and NW-SE routes. What became Intercity cross country. I have an agreement to do one other which will be the West London Line so lots of coverage between the two.

I hope to be able to move 1S76.com, I don’t think it will be to Wordpress as when I transferred the Brightonmrc site I had to retype everything, it jumbled everything written with MS Frontpage.

Just wanted to make a discreet plea to raid all available photo archives for inter-regional vacuum-braked goods trains, and anything 'non-block' that served Crawley New Yard, please, as content.  Mind you, I will buy copies anyway.  Keep up the good work.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For whatever reason www.1S76.com still seems to be up and running. I don’t know why. I am looking at Calico for hosting as my friends at Blood and Custard use it, the price seems good and you can still use FTF transfer.

• 2 months later...