Would the station not be essentially perpendicular to the through lines? As currently drawn it seems to necessitate reversal for any arrival/departure heading across the bridge. Itd make more sense* to build a terminus perpendicular, with a cut off for through running providing a triangle for turning stock.

*I appreciate this might not be the goal

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, webbcompound said:

I see the double track goes down to single to cross the bridge. Perhaps (because nothing is ever that straightforward on Discworld), the tracks should be interlaced thus allowing for the maintenance and construction costs of double track, whilst benefitting from the traffic restricting effect of single track.

I think your on to something here think Round world London Underground

Nick B

• Like 1

I think the concept is that New Anhk was initially set up for the Sto Plains route, initially to Swinetown and Sto Lat, so it was a terminus.  The through platforms to Quirm came next and joined the existing terminus to one side.  I should image in that in the fullness of time, the Quirm/A-M/Sto (and beyond) line becomes the main axis of the station (bigger, more through platforms) think the old York station, tiny, within the walls compared with the current station, larger outside the walls. Here, the initial terminus becomes the "local/suburban" platforms.

The temporary terminus that abutted Harry Kings yard becomes a goods yard, rather like Liverpool Road station in Manchester, the oldest existing terminus in the Roundworld, which became a goods station, and is now part of the Museum of Science and Technology and you can go for a ride* on a replica Planet through it!

Very Iron Girder!

In fact (l-r) Dick Simnel and Drumknott?  :crazy:

A Factoid.  When they get to the buffers at the end, if the buffers were not there, and the junction connection was still in place, they would, after 30 miles or so, end up at Liverpool Lime Street...

* Covid-19 permitting...

Edited by Hroth
A couple of random morning thoughts
  • Like 3

Part of an address to the Ankh-Morpork Steam Locomotive Society:

My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen.

This morning, whilst arising and breakfasting, I have given thought to the evolution of the Steam Engine, in particular that Prototype of Prototypes "Iron Girder", recently returned from Bonk upon the completion of the Wilinus Viaduct.  In consultation with our esteemed and learned colleague Mr Ponder Stibbons, I would like to enumerate the development of that marvellous locomotive in terms of its Roundworld Equivalents.

1. Trevithick Penydarren (0-4-0)
  2. Trevithick Catch-Me-Who-Can (2-2-0)
  3. Planet (2-2-0)
  4. Patentee (2-2-2)
  5. Crampton (2-2-2-2) A particularly curious design with six carrying wheels under the boiler and a pair of large driving wheels at the rear.
  6. Bogie Single (4-2-2)  The basis of the current fleet of Flyers.
  7. Bogie Four-coupled (4-4-0) The most recent form of "Iron Girder" as used for the Bonk Express.

As you can see, "Iron Girder" has passed thriough seven distinct stages of development, we look forward to seeing what magical transformation will be achieved in the 7ath iteration!

Ithenkyo!

(All forms canon or easily derived from Rasing Steam and Mrs Bradshaws Guide)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:
  1. Bogie Single (4-2-2)  The basis of the current fleet of Flyers.
  2. Bogie Four-coupled (4-4-0) The most recent form of "Iron Girder" as used for the Bonk Express.

Getting very modern and conventional there - some early examples (vide "The Diver" there) but to me speaking 1880s.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Getting very modern and conventional there - some early examples (vide "The Diver" there) but to me speaking 1880s.

Well, the "Bogie single" was suggested by Ponder Stibbons, but I feel that rather than a Stirling single, we might initially be thinking of a GWR Broad Gauge "Iron Duke" class loco of the 1850s, such as Hirondelle

image.png.8b37d4711ad9cbd2dd63312d34b8e84d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_Iron_Duke_Class

A Bogie four-coupled is illustrated on the map page of "Raising Steam" so who are we to quibble?  As "Iron Girder" is the Prototype of Prototypes, we must be prepared to seeing something avant-garde, well ahead of the current state of the art!

Going back to the first two locos on the list, rereading "Raising Steam" has cause me to think that the locomotive presented to Harry King when Simnel arrived at A-M was the first Iron Girder, a Trevithick Penydarren type engine, which metamorphosed fairly rapidly into something similar to Trevithicks Catch-Me-Who-Can, which gave rides at a location close to the site of Euston Station in 1808.

The "Planet" phase of Iron Girders development was probably the version that opened the Ankh to Sto Lat route.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well, the "Bogie single" was suggested by Ponder Stibbons, but I feel that rather than a Stirling single, we might initially be thinking of a GWR Broad Gauge "Iron Duke" class loco of the 1850s, such as Hirondelle

image.png.8b37d4711ad9cbd2dd63312d34b8e84d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_Iron_Duke_Class

The Iron Duke is somewhat lacking in bogie. The Stirling single is perhaps more the thing - the slotted splasher is suitable archetypal - and of course dates from 1870. The Wheatley 224 Class makes a good stablemate - the original inside-cylinder 4-coupled bogie and slotted splashers too. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nothing to do with the learned discussion above, but the original post mentioned track designs so I had a little tidy-up of the previous idea before putting it, and myself, to bed. Thought I might as well share:

1622984484_NewAnkh.jpg.6b302291e08439db9f7a4f84407f002e.jpg

Shunting now takes place on the main lines, but nothing unusual about that as long the timetable isn't too hectic. Less usual is the twin-terminus format, but it does make the pointwork simple :)

I also wondered how it would cope if traffic increased. Perhaps something like:

871893323_NewAnkh2.jpg.6ef3bb8db4ffb70bfb84df3949cf83ff.jpg

Orientation changed to match more ('tho not the most) recent developments, river now off to the left. Throat needs reconciled, but that's easily doable. 

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Stirling single is perhaps more the thing - the slotted splasher is suitable archetypal - and of course dates from 1870. The Wheatley 224 Class makes a good stablemate - the original inside-cylinder 4-coupled bogie and slotted splashers too. 

We start with the 1850s Crewe type (with slotted splashers).  Given the need for these 1870s intrusions the above was very much my thinking.

• Like 2

One thing I remember being mentioned (in the CA thread, I think) is a book called "Early Railways, a guide for the modeller,  by Chatam and Weston.  I've just come across my copy and there's a fair amount of useful information on "Iron Girderism" within.  The end chapter is a roundup of "current" layouts, one of which is very New Ankh, consisting of a terminus metamorphosing into a through station.

The chapter discussing early pointwork makes the eyes bleed at times...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

One thing I remember being mentioned (in the CA thread, I think) is a book called "Early Railways, a guide for the modeller,  by Chatam and Weston.  I've just come across my copy and there's a fair amount of useful information on "Iron Girderism" within.  The end chapter is a roundup of "current" layouts, one of which is very New Ankh, consisting of a terminus metamorphosing into a through station.

The chapter discussing early pointwork makes the eyes bleed at times...

OK, that sounds useful, thanks, so I've ordered a copy.

Also, have just watched the Going Postal adaptation.  I very much enjoyed it.

I made Miss T watch it with me, which involved dragging her away from boxsetting various moody teenage vampire shows and, therefore, protests from my teenage goth daughter, however, she really enjoyed it. 

Very persuaded by the 'look' of the thing; the portrayal of Ankh and the costumes. Bags of further inspiration there.   

As for Claire Foy's Adora Bell, well, it made me wish I was young and in love, or just young, or just in love, for that matter. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

OK, that sounds useful, thanks, so I've ordered a copy.

Also, have just watched the Going Postal adaptation.  I very much enjoyed it.

I made Miss T watch it with me, which involved dragging her away from boxsetting various moody teenage vampire shows and, therefore, protests from my teenage goth daughter, however, she really enjoyed it. 

Very persuaded by the 'look' of the thing; the portrayal of Ankh and the costumes. Bags of further inspiration there.   

As for Claire Foy's Adora Bell, well, it made me wish I was young and in love, or just young, or just in love, for that matter. 

Glad you enjoyed it,  although for me be still my beating heart Angua is stunning if somewhat dangerous

Nick B

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

although for me be still my beating heart Angua is stunning if somewhat dangerous

Both dangerous ladies. With Adora Belle you'd get a stilleto heel through your foot if you made one wrong move and don't even think about Angua, once she'd finished with you, you'd have Captain Carrot to deal with.

Glad Miss T enjoyed it!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Both dangerous ladies. With Adora Belle you'd get a stilleto heel through your foot if you made one wrong move and don't even think about Angua, once she'd finished with you, you'd have Captain Carrot to deal with.

Possibly it's the romantic in me, but I say better to have loved and lost (all sensation in your foot/quite a lot of blood) than never to have loved at all!

37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Glad Miss T enjoyed it!

Thank you, so was I.  Bless her and her funny little ways. 

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Just wondering how you got  on with the project? 

I have decided to build a Discworld railway based on raising steam. (not sure I can build the goblin underground that would be a challenge!!!)

My New Ankh Station (I am going to base that on one of the London terminals possibly an older St Pancras), the layout by chance I came up with was similar to yours but missed out the river (Will add) 

I intend to run two lines as a ring. the will  run right towards Quirm, then a tunnel possibly with Lancre and hub mountains painted on it with the return line via  The sto plains. I will have a couple of trains running around those loops.

Key things for me is for it to be  discworld theme but  not reproduced 100% accurate, aim for it to be fun railway to build and run.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

So Railway plan has moved on (actually 2 small changes from this picture).   One point was not actually connected! small game can you find it :)

Also  slight jig of the station.

Location has been prepared.

Currently buying materials for baseboard

Project rocket tests 2.jpg

room.jpg

• Like 3