Loksound V3.5.......21 pin MTC?

boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

OK...call me an optimist but I found an old Loksound V3.5  I had forgotten all about, it is a wired chip.....BUT.......the wires all go to what looks exactly like a normal (current) 21 pin connector at the edge of the board, the trailing wires are all just soldered to the socket pads........am I correct in the hope that I could just cut off the wires/insulate them/whatever.....and plug the chip into a 21 pin Loco ?58585C57-0CD7-4875-B441-C7E66798016A.jpeg.9def40dab87c6f3145ed7e9ee4bab57d.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I've done it the other way round where I only had a 21 pin decoder but needed 8 and soldered the wires from a spare harness onto those solder pads, done it on Loksound 3.5's and 4's and it worked, so I cant see why it wouldn't work the other way like you are planning.

Richard

OK that’s reassuring, logically it should work I am just be over cautious.

Now I need to find a decent 100 ohm speaker for the job though, the original Loksound speakers really were “only just” good enough........

I just had the decoder hard wired to my Lias decoder tester and it works fine, just need to gather the ooomph to chop the wires and plug it into the 21 pin socket connection.

Edited by boxbrownie

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oops, bit of a late update, after testing plugged onto the 21pin on the tester everything worked, so “off with the wires” and into the 108....all working great.

Never knew the Loksound 3.5 came as a 21 pin......now I do :D