Guage 1 ?, RTR ? ?, from Hornby ? ? ?, for How much ? ? ? ?

Ceptic

Spotted within Rails of Sheffield's Newsletter dated 27th. May 2020.

I know April 1st was 'Locked down'  but, where have they been for the past two months ?

Rails of Sheffield Newsletter 27-05-20 (2).png

I think it’s the Lionel “cheap toy” version being sold under licence.

Lionel also make this loco in 0, but that is a very good near-scale model, mostly metal, available also in GWR livery. Naturally not as cheap.

• Informative/Useful 1

I had the Lionel one for a while. Can't recommend it at all. Sold mine on. I have quite a lot of G scale and this is the only 45mm item I have ever found unacceptable. There again it is very cheap and you get what you pay for.

• RMweb Premium

My first thought was that while it looks a bit frightful would it have potential to be chopped up to something a bit more to scale? I'm reminded of those 60's cut and shut jobs on the Triang princess to make a black five or those 70's rehashes of the B12 into all sorts of LNER round firebox locos.

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Not my cup of tea but if this toy generates revenue for Hornby then that can only be good.

And if revenue generation comes at a cost to reputation?

• Administrators

You might want to hold fire on this. There seems to be an issue with the track gauge Lionel produced. I'm looking in to it for Garden Rail. I'll lock the thread until I have answers.