Edward & co engineering

I’ve recently been faced with a challenge that my younger brother wanted a small shunting layout and on looking for “entry level “ ideas thought that maybe with the influx of great industrial locos at the moment why not make an industrial layout , much like we see the
 “ train set layouts “ in the magazines etc. 

Would anybody be interested in this if I were to post progress pictures up on the site ?

its about 10ft by 15” built using some old ikea hollow cupboard sides . Code 100 set track and a felix track , dcc and set in the 60s-70s .

thanks 

I am in the same boat

An old Hornby Thomas breakdown set

A four foot by one shelf

Struggling for ideas as to how to proceed

Will never have space for a large roundy roundy so industrial looks like the best way to go

with a couple of used points maybe an inglenook 

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 16:11, gjhimages said:

I am in the same boat

A four foot by one shelf

Will never have space for a large roundy roundy so industrial looks like the best way to go

Have a look/search for my 'Enigma Engineering' layout.  This is 4' x 15" (12" would work) with 4 points and a deceptively 'challenging' operating system.  Take no notice of the fact that it is P4 rather than 00 as I think using small radius Setrack points should achieve a similar result.  It can be self contained as a fiddle 'yard' isn't absolutely necessary.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 16:11, gjhimages said:

I am in the same boat

A four foot by one shelf

IIRC, didn't the Thomas breakdown set include a fairly anonymous brown-liveried crane? If you built something set in, say, a shipyard or a scrapyard, you could easily make use of that.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 17:11, gjhimages said:

I am in the same boat

A four foot by one shelf

How about modelling a small factory yard or something similar.

A run-around-loop with one or two sidings to store some wagons. At one end could be a turntable only for wagons that leads to loading / unloading facilities. They hold up to two or three wagons and could only be reached via the turntable. Chain shunting would be required to shunt the facilities.

That might be a bit more interesting than the Inglenook trackplan on the long term. Just as an idea.

In terms of the rail crane: in the "Industrial Locomotive Sheds. A third selection" by Adrian Booth, published by the IRS is on page 73 is a photo of a rail crane used on the "Tees Foundries Ltd" network. Maybe you can get some inspiration from there for the use of your crane.