Hornby Class 56 wheel slip issue

I have recently bought a Hornby Class 56 (56108 in Railfreight Grey) from Rails of Sheffield. I have set it up inn RailMaster and it is working well, other than one problem.

It has absolutely no grip! I am trying to drive it light loco on a level track. The wheels spin around a lot, but the locomotive barely moves. This occurs at all speeds and both directions. I have put some coaches behind, just in case it altered the weight distribution somehow but as expected this only makes the issue worse. I am very surprised since it feels like a brick to pick up, and is far heavier than other locos which have no problems with traction on the same track.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions about what might be causing this or how it might be resolved.

Guest Half-full

It seems like there may be some sort of oil on the loco wheels, maybe in this heat the gear lubricant has melted and got onto the wheels.  A good wipe down with IPA should help

A bit of a longshot, but I just wonder if all six wheels are spinning. I had a similar problem with a loco where the cardan shaft between motor and one  bogie gear tower was missing. Therefore it was trying to drive on one bogie with no drive to the other on which of course the wheels were locked due to the gearing. This resulted in a lot of spinning but little movement.

Of course Half-full has a very good point

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, johnb said:

A bit of a longshot, but I just wonder if all six wheels are spinning. I had a similar problem with a loco where the cardan shaft between motor and one  bogie gear tower was missing. Therefore it was trying to drive on one bogie with no drive to the other on which of course the wheels were locked due to the gearing. This resulted in a lot of spinning but little movement.

Of course Half-full has a very good point

Thank you very much. It wasn't missing but it was disconnected. The loco is working perfectly now,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1