NCE mini panel macros

tingleytim

• RMweb Premium

Needing many more macros than the 16 available on my NCE Powercab, I bought their mini-panel which supposedly provides 30 macros each controlling more accessories.  (Does this mean 30 in addition to the 16?)  Programming the Powercab was a doddle and its macros work fine but how do you program the mini-panel's macros?  I've looked at NCE’s guides and Mark Gurries’ information.  These show what to do to program accessories, and the mini-panel is ok for this, but they stop short for setting up macros.  I’m ok until the Powercab screens get to inputs and steps which I don’t want yet as I just want to put in the macro number and then the accessories to be controlled by that macro, like on the Powercab.  I must have got the wrong idea somewhere so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Tim.

I think you have it wrong...

The MiniPanel has its own "macros" or short command sequences, 30 of them, which correspond to the 30 push buttons you fit to the MiniPanel.   It doesn't directly extend the "macros" for your PowerCab.    I think the way to extend those is "buy a bigger system (NCE PowerPro system or swap to another maker)". 

That said, it might be able to do what you want, if you change your thinking to use the push buttons on the MiniPanel - its a pretty clever bit of kit for the price, considering what DCC electronics devices often cost from other vendors.    There is a mechanism to use fewer than 30 buttons, and cascade the short 4-action sequences together, thus getting more commands into a single button press.     The MiniPanel actions can execute a Macro stored in the Command Station (the PowerCab), but not the other way round.

Another approach, is a computer and the NCE USB interface.  With that, software such as JMRI could be issue commands for routes/macros (multiple turnout commands in a sequence).   The trigger to start a route could be a turnout address being thrown (could be a fictional turnout, only known to the software and human operator, no decoder on the layout matching the address).   
You could run JMRI on a Raspberry PI computer, and once setup, it won't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse, for use.   Its the cheapest way to get a near-infinite number of routes added to your system.    

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Plenty to think about there.  I reckon I need 49 macros, the layout and operation being complex - far beyond the Powercab’s capabilities (and maybe mine too!).  I had a look at JMRI and Big Bear (because both are compatible with NCE) a while back though struggled with both of them.  I do wonder now whether to change system.  I currently can have 3 operators simultaneously but the time getting the next train out is far too long for exhibitions, many operations needing 15 or more points set correctly.

Route setting involves 45 points and there will be 15 signals.  Any recommendations for systems that can cope with all that and 4 00scale locos moving at once would be very welcome; or best of the very many info sources to help evaluate the choices.  I am aware of iTrain and RR&Co but perhaps there are others.  In the meantime I will see how much can be done as a temporary measure with the 16 Powercab macros, perhaps linked with mini-panel buttons.

Thanks very much indeed Nigel for taking the trouble to answer my query.

You can if using Big Bear create the multi point macro in the software and operate it via a onscreen virtual button.

I have a lot of multi point macro commands stored in my Big Bear, all operated by the virtual buttons, the software even allow timed delays to be inserted between actions .

i also have on button that sets all the points on the layout left then right as a test if needed.

As Nigel said above with out going to a larger system you wont get the 49 macros you will need to do what you want it to do.

if you need any help drop me a message i use the mini panel for all sorts of things 

John

12 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Is it possible to use 2 Mini Panels giving 30 x 2 outputs and double the macros of a single module?

After all, a Mini Panel acts just as another Cab (or throttle) on the Cab bus.

Yes that works up to the limit of Cab addresses on the Cab Bus (which is "not many" for a PowerCab).   But they're not "macros" in the sense of "type macro number into handset". The minipanel needs buttons/switches to trigger actions. 

And they're not very long - four slots is the standard size, so not like a typical "route macro" of eight or a dozen turnouts.  

I suppose a slightly deranged person could use an accessory decoder to trip a relay which closes the button inputs on the minipanel, and thus the minipanel can be operated from a turnout command on the handset. :wacko: But Its more work and more expense than adding the RasperryPI option mentioned earlier. 

Another approach depends on the accessory decoders in use for the turnouts.   Some makers have their own internal macros, and with a bit of care/thought, those can be combined with the abilities of the PowerCab.   (I did something for another layout owner with a different make of control system, by careful programming of the accessory devices we were able to implement quite complex turnout routes from the handsets).

• RMweb Premium
On 31/05/2020 at 15:33, tingleytim said:

Route setting involves 45 points and there will be 15 signals.  Any recommendations for systems that can cope with all that and 4 00scale locos moving at once would be very welcome;

I think RocRail is capable of all you are asking - https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=manual-routes2-en but has some limitations with a PowerCab - https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=nce-en

• RMweb Premium

More thanks for the useful replies to my OP and offer of help.  I’ve now programmed the Powercab’s 16 macros to enable most of my routes to function, though usually needing to change individual points as well to get variations on those 16.  Slow but good enough for the loft for now while I look more closely at alternative systems including those in the replies. I’ll certainly look at Rocrail and have another go at Big Bear, though I’m getting “Please (big) bear with us while we construct our new website”; fortunately no great urgency at the moment so there's time to do comparisons.

Again, many thanks.