Lineside Fencing

Hi,

I wanted to have some wooden lineside fencing to compliment a new backscene that I have added to "Montgreenan" along the Portencross branch line, but could not see anything ready-made that I liked, and so it was out with the matches and wire to make my own.

One of the challenges I had was that the fence needed to be right at the edge of the baseboard and against a wall, and as such it was going to be difficult to drill suitable holes, install the fence and also make sure it was relatively robust...….however after several days of thinking about it, a neat solution came to mind.

When I made my baseboards and before any track was laid, I covered the entire surface in 2mm cork ( another 2mm was also laid under the track to help noise and create a ballast shoulder), and so I figured that if I lifted a strip of this where I wanted the fence to go, I could replace it with a 2mm strip of plasticard, into which I could drill neat holes for the fence posts and superglue them in place all away from the layout...……..this also had the added advantage of building the fence in sections and being able to easily thread the wires at my workbench.

I also found an old motor coil and striped the copper wire from it, which was very easy to thread and wind etc...….I subsequently painted it the same dark brown as the fence posts and purposely laid it on thick which gives it a more ragged / aged look. Once complete the plasticard strips were glued in place and then I placed hedging and shrubbery in front of the fence...…..still a few finishing touches reqd but very pleased with the outcome...….see pictures below.

Hope this is of help to others - cheers Richard

fence 2.jpg

fence 1.jpg

fence 4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...