Units from one TOC loaned or hired to another TOC

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just found some pictures of Scotrail 156503 hired to East Midlands Railway earlier this year as well as several EMR Class 153’s now working for Transport for Wales.  They appear to be in full former TOC livery except former lettering has been removed and new applied.

Are these moves just temporary or is there due to be a mass migration of units?  I ask this with ToW taking on former Greater Anglia Class 153’s and 170’s as well as EMR getting GA’s 156’s, is the EMR 153’s and Scotrail 156 just a short term thing?

The hiring across of the ScotRail 156 was only a temporary arrangement and it's now back with ScotRail - I think it was only for a maximum of a month and it went back up to ScotRail in mid-December. 

There's a lot of DMU merry-go-rounds at the moment with the ex Greater Anglia 156s to East Midlands Railway  (due to be replaced once enough 170s arrive), ex Greater Anglia & East Midlands 153s to Transport For Wales and Northern to ScotRail (153s). The 9 ex Greater Anglia & East Midlands Railway 153s with Transport for Wales are only a temporary measure though and will leave the fleet when the 769s eventually start entering passenger service - Porterbrook sent them across both to allow the 37 Hauled set to be replaced and to cover for the late running of the 769 Flexx project.  

At the moment no future homes are known for them, nor the TfW 150s, ex GA & EMR 156s, EMR & TfW 158s. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, surfsup said:

At the moment no future homes are known for them, nor the TfW 150s, ex GA & EMR 156s, EMR & TfW 158s. 

Extra units could be useful at the moment to run longer trains in the context of "social distancing".

But, as things return to normal, 156s and 158s might be a good option for regional open access operators to start new services.

• RMweb Premium

387105 was loaned for quite a while from Great Northern to Gatwick Express, it even received GatEx full branding on the white livery so became known as the Diet Coke Can (as opposed to the full sugar Coke Cans of the red ones!).

It returned to GN last week, still carrying the GatEx branding apparently.

There are a pair of Southern liveried Class 377/1's with SouthEastern as well still in Southern colours, 377163 and 377164 although contrary to what many believe, these are permanent transfers and will probably be repainted at some point.

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

387105 was loaned for quite a while from Great Northern to Gatwick Express, it even received GatEx full branding on the white livery so became known as the Diet Coke Can (as opposed to the full sugar Coke Cans of the red ones!).

It returned to GN last week, still carrying the GatEx branding apparently.

I'm not surprised, it does look a little odd. I hadn't realised it's been with Southern for 18 months though! (Not my photo). 

387105 - Waterbeach - 18/05/20.