Black Hall finally finished.

Hi all,

Here is the finished black Hall.

So this is what has been done to the old and well worn Albert Hall.

Gently filed that big nasty moulding seam on top of the boiler and firebox away.

Full repaint in satin and matt black.I did not paint the handrails silver as all the pictures I looked at for a Black Hall they were painted black. Noticed some small red areas on the tender after I took the pictures. This error has now been corrected.

New front hook and buffers.

Front and rear 3 link couplings added.

New tender brake handles( Dart Castings).

Replaced the loco/tender drawbar with one that works. The one it came with was far to high and stuck out by a good 5mm more than it should.

Lamp irons at the front made from brass strip and fitted.

Lamps added and set for express freight.

Real coal in tender.

Red route dot added to cab sides. Did try and fit the little white D in the red dot but valued my sanity more after my several attempts failed. You need a microscope and very steady hand to try and add the letter.

Windows glazed.

Extended footplate made and fitted.

Crew added

Vacuum pipes fitted front and rear.

Replaced the front bogie wheels with the correct ones. The ones it came with had pinpoint axels with the pins sticking out.

New number and name plates put on. The engine is now 6972 Beningbrough Hall. The numbers and name plates are by Jackson-Evans.

BR tender transfers are by Fox.

Engine given a full service.

All in all I am very pleased with this engine. it has turned out better than I thought it would.

So here it is in all it's glory.1267863936_Blackhall(3).jpg.1b800bb31521d95f2cb78c29536c37c0.jpg

Black hall (1).jpg

Black hall (2).jpg

Black hall (4).jpg

Black hall (5).jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Here is the finished black Hall.

So this is what has been done to the old and well worn Albert Hall.

This is what  has done to this engine.

Gently filed that big nasty moulding seam on top of the boiler and firebox away.

Full repaint in satin and matt black.I did not paint the handrails silver as all the pictures I looked at for a Black Hall they were painted black. Notice some small red areas on the tender after I took the pictures. This error has now been corrected.

New front and hook and buffers. Front and rear 3 link couplings added.

New tender brake handles( Dart Castings).

Replaced the loco/tender drawbar with one that works. The one it came with was far to high and stuck out by a good 5mm more than it should.

Lamp irons at the front made from brass strip and fitted.

Lamps added and set for express freight.

Real coal in tender.

Red route dot added to cab sides

Windows glazed.

Extended footplate made and fitted.

Crew added

Vacuum pipes fitted front and rear.

Replaced the front bogie wheels with the correct ones. The ones it came with had pinpoint axels with the pins sticking out.

New number and name plates put on. The engine is now 6972 Beningbrough Hall. The numbers and name plates are by Jackson-Evans.

BR tender transfers are by Fox.

Engine given a full service.

All in all I am very pleased with this engine. it has turned out better than I thought it would.

So here it is in all it's glory.1267863936_Blackhall(3).jpg.1b800bb31521d95f2cb78c29536c37c0.jpg

Black hall (1).jpg

Black hall (2).jpg

Black hall (4).jpg

Black hall (5).jpg

Well, for an old Tri-ang Hornby model, it is something! It reminds me of the Hornby Railroad range only charming in detail. So, I know this is a common question modellers ask but does it run?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi, 

Yes it runs very well for it's age. it did need a full service though.

Oh, good. I hope your layout is good-old AC control. If it was DC or DCC, then it would be a nightmare to add one of those modern chips in.

Hi,

I do not have a layout at the moment. I am spending my time restoring old engines. But when I finally get to build my layout I have everything I need boxed away. Yes it will be standard DC and not DCC.

This Hall is about the 10th engine I have rebuilt and restored over the past few months. Keeps me out of mischief. My next 3 projects are a Hornby Black 5, Triang BR 2-6-2 tank and a very rare Triang 2-6-2 German prairie with the red chassis. I believe I have everything to start work on the German prairie if I can find the body. Which is in a box somewhere in my loft. The chassis and wheels ended up in my spares box when it broke 45 years ago and was just put away. I do not remember why I completely dismantled it as a child, but for some reason I did I have had to hunt round for some of the missing parts which I now have.

So have enough to keep me busy for a while.

Edited by cypherman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hall. You are correct in saying there are two versions of this engine. But they are not both German. The single domed version comes with a black chassis.  This is sold as French SNCF engine. There are two of these for sale on Ebay at the moment. The German version came with the twin domed body and a red wheels and chassis. It is the German version I have. The chassis is now complete but I currently cannot find the body for it. I am still looking for it. It is in a box some where. The German version is the rarer of the two. I have never seen another one for sale.

Edited by cypherman