Hogwarts Express

Before I get pilloried for raising an old hat question....and I know that everyone knows that 5972 was originally Olton Hall, I'm sure I'm not the only person who's ever asked why the Locomotive chosen wasn't a Castle Class Locomotive at all. I'm presuming one wasn't available so they went with the next best thing.?

Not that that's important....She DOES look very good in red!!!! And that's a good photograph too...

jules :D

I took an interest in this a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, the Director chose the locomotive just because it looked 'quite old'. As far as I'm aware, the books never referred to the locomotive as 'Hogwarts Castle' and I think it is just a coincidence that it was a similar design to the Castle, so the enthusiats in charge may have named it as such?

Taw Valley was also painted red, but was discarded as it looked too modern. I believe it carried 'Hogwarts Express' nameplates.

I don't think there was ever any question of using a real castle class, and 'Hogwarts Hall' just isn't the same!

I took an interest in this a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, the Director chose the locomotive just because it looked 'quite old'. As far as I'm aware, the books never referred to the locomotive as 'Hogwarts Castle' and I think it is just a coincidence that it was a similar design to the Castle, so the enthusiats in charge may have named it as such?

Taw Valley was also painted red, but was discarded as it looked too modern. I believe it carried 'Hogwarts Express' nameplates.

I don't think there was ever any question of using a real castle class, and 'Hogwarts Hall' just isn't the same!

The train is never actually named in the books other than as Hogwarts Express which goes to Hogwarts Castle.

I'm sure part of the reasons for choosing the hall was because it could be used on the West Highland extension to Mallaig for filming purposes, where there was absolutely no chance of a castle been used due to axle loading restrictions along that section of line.

I saw Taw Valley as Hogwarts Castle and the livery really did suit the loco (waiting for daggers in the back from the purists) and its a shame they did keep it as its pretty close to the cartoon loco on the front of the 1st edition HP book

• 2 years later...

THE HALL THAT THINKS ITS A CASTLE

the 2 reasons its a hall and not a castle

1. Chris Columbus wanted something original (TAW VALLEY was the first choice but he thought it to modern it was painted red and carried the name HOGWARTS CASTLE for a few months)

2. none of the owners of the castles would allow their locomotive to be painted red (it would of clashed with the countryside if it stayed green

• 5 years later...

Bachmann made a much better model than the Hornby model with a Hall Class.

The Bachmann edition Hogwarts (officially for sale in US only upon release as Hornby had the UK licence) is a modified hall, not the original hall it should be. The running qualities are not brilliant. and the coaches issues with the set are HO scale.

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 months later...

The Bachmann edition Hogwarts (officially for sale in US only upon release as Hornby had the UK licence) is a modified hall, not the original hall it should be. The running qualities are not brilliant. and the coaches issues with the set are HO scale.

Mike Wiltshire

True, but I still own that model I once collected. The Hogwarts Express was always my favourite ficitonal train and still is. Harry Potter was big when I was ten years old.

Mike Wiltshire

Does that mean that a source of rtr H0 Mk1s exists other than Lima's early 70s efforts?

Does that mean that a source of rtr H0 Mk1s exists other than Lima's early 70s efforts?

Yes

Cheltenham Model Centre had a stock of coaches a couple of years ago at Warley. I bought another for Junior's Hogwarts at Shildon Model Railway Exhibition, last month, so they are out there.

Mike Wiltshire

Before I get pilloried for raising an old hat question....and I know that everyone knows that 5972 was originally Olton Hall, I'm sure I'm not the only person who's ever asked why the Locomotive chosen wasn't a Castle Class Locomotive at all. I'm presuming one wasn't available so they went with the next best thing.?

Not that that's important....She DOES look very good in red!!!! And that's a good photograph too...

jules biggrin.gif

Seeing as the train left from Kings Cross why was a GWR locomotive chosen at all.

Perhaps an A3 could have been found, called Flying Hogwarts and painted red.

I'll get my coat.

Seeing as the train left from Kings Cross why was a GWR locomotive chosen at all.

Perhaps an A3 could have been found, called Flying Hogwarts and painted red.

I'll get my coat.

No, it would have cost too much......

Er, nope, they're 00, at least they are in my set. They're the ex-Mainline tooling MK1s. The whole lot is labelled as H0 because it's not for the UK market ;)

Not only are they the ex-Mainline Mark 1s, they also couple very closely.  No interiors either, but quickly sorted with Replica ones.  My children love our rake of these!

Paul

I must admit the red painted hall on the West Highland line rather spoilt the film for me. When things get so far fetched that you can no longer suspend disbelief you tend to lose your emersion in the story being told, and start wondering about other things such as was a Ford Anglia really faster than an express train?

I must admit the red painted hall on the West Highland line rather spoilt the film for me. When things get so far fetched that you can no longer suspend disbelief you tend to lose your emersion in the story being told, and start wondering about other things such as was a Ford Anglia really faster than an express train?

I love this... never mind the wizards, dragons, three headed dogs, spells, magic etc.. it's the presence of a GWR engine painted red on the WHL that makes it unbelievable.

(I mean this in the nicest possible way - this post made me laugh..)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I love this... never mind the wizards, dragons, three headed dogs, spells, magic etc.. it's the presence of a GWR engine painted red on the WHL that makes it unbelievable.

(I mean this in the nicest possible way - this post made me laugh..)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That was my intention, glad to have brightened your day in some small way.

Archived