• RMweb Gold

I'm currently beating a couple of Parksides finest into submission, but apart from David Larkin's books, which I don't have with me ATM, there seems to be a dearth of pictures on t'interweb, is anybody aware of any please?

One picture I do remember but can't find is one of the rebodied wagons, with, tantalisingly, a corner of a 22 ton tube wagon "extra plank conversion" wagon nosing into the frame. Does anybody have any information or pictures on these wagons as I have a Parkside kit begging for mercy which just might get converted into one if I can find any prototypical gen.

TIA.

Mike.

There are a handful in Paul Bartlett's galleries, including one of the 'extra plank' conversions. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p97881659

I think we've got the scanner working again, so I might be able to find the Larkin book which contains the picture you're referring to if that would help. The repro' is a bit murky if I remember rightly (oh, and the 'setting/proofing is rubbish in that book, but that's secondary).

Adam

Edited by Adam

There is a picture of a Tube in Ale traffic with extra planks in Larkin's Working Wagons Vol 2 1974 - 1979.

Slightly different to the one on Paul Bartlett's site, being  BR rather than LNER design.

Andy

Edited by SM42

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm currently beating a couple of Parksides finest into submission, but apart from David Larkin's books, which I don't have with me ATM, there seems to be a dearth of pictures on t'interweb, is anybody aware of any please?

One picture I do remember but can't find is one of the rebodied wagons, with, tantalisingly, a corner of a 22 ton tube wagon "extra plank conversion" wagon nosing into the frame. Does anybody have any information or pictures on these wagons as I have a Parkside kit begging for mercy which just might get converted into one if I can find any prototypical gen.

TIA.

Mike.

Pages 11 and 12 of ''Wagons of the Final Years of British Railways ' by David Larkin has photos of both types,  with a list of conversions along with numbers. He also lists salient features of which conversions had which buffers and axleboxes. The wagons with the extra plank were classed as 'Ale in Cask', those with the the plywood sides as 'Ale Pallet' The former worked from Burton to locations such as Hafod Yard, Swansea, and usually bore large plaques for 'Bass' and 'Worthington'.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm struggling with the orientation of the side panels.

It didn't help when I made an error with the ones I was building last year in the UK and that started my confusion.

From the, admittedly few, pictures I've found, the lift out double panel is generally always at the left hand end based on pictures of the cam and plain brake lever side of the wagon I've found in David Larkins books, but the one clear picture on Pauls site shows the single panel at the left hand end on the vac cylinder side of the wagon.

Were the panels built in random fashion and is there natural variation, or am barking up the wrong tree?

Suggestions welcome.

Mike.