....another useful tool....

I have to fit some windows into a shed and was watching a YouTube installation video, when the guy pulled out some of these to hold the frame in place. Hadn't seen them before, but they look invaluable for levelling up baseboards etc, particularly if on your own. How ingenious and dead simple to use.

Checked out Amazon and found these for just over £20. Different make, but same principle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F8Y836V/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07F8Y836V&pd_rd_w=4JugT&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=O1h4r&pf_rd_r=KV3RD79G0923Q1W1EVGN&pd_rd_r=1adea456-79c7-4942-9a7c-78ba91df5717&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFGUTlDU1JHQk8wTEomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0ODc4MzgzTFJXVTlLWk1LQ0paJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MjU0NzQyUTZHN1MyNFpKU0hWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

Yes, the guy in the video used four around a frame and by inflating/deflating each on in turn, not only did they hold it square, but they held it firmly whilst adding the fixings. Such a simple idea....

Edited by gordon s
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Aren't all the best ones?

Mike.

I think i've shared this before but I worked in a Tool Design office for a while and one of the boss's favourite expressions when he found a solution to a problem we'd been struggling was 'it's so simple it hurts'.

• Like 3

I always used to do that Trev, but these are infinitely more adjustable. The other problem is that you still have to lift something up to slide the piece of wood underneath and nine times out of ten once you are in position to lift, you can’t reach the area where you need to slide the packing in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I found one of these handy when fitting fire doors: https://www.toolstation.com/draper-door-board-lifter/p88729

By altering the pressure applied with your heel it is easy to move the door up and down.  It is really just an improved version of the old technique of laying one screwdriver at 90 degrees across another and standing on the handle.  The strap enables you to move the door backwards and forwards too.

One thing I would definitely recommend is a drill bit guide.  They make centring the holes for hinges effortless.

This kind of thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-Snappy-Drill-Bit-Guide/dp/B0001P122O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Got mine years ago from Lidl at half the price, very useful for doors, window frames, etc, especially when working single handedly.

Mike.

I've been getting emails from Lidl with all the latest offers etc. for quite a while now and have never seen these before, so it can't be a regular line for them :(

Can't remember whether it was Lidl or Aldi that I had mine from, but they are another of the once every 12 months offers. Mine were the second tranche I saw and my son in law got his, after having seen mine, on the next batch 12 months later.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit, this is not one of mine, but one from Mick Nich.

Gramophone needles, dirt cheap, used with a pin vice, really useful for scribing brass, plastic etc. but the benefit being they can easily be sharpened.

Edited by Andy 53B
Can't spell
  • Agree 1

On 01/06/2020 at 12:48, Andy 53B said:

I have to admit, this is not one of mine, but one from Mick Nich.

Gramophone needles, dirt cheap, used with a pin vice, really useful for scribing brass, plastic etc. but the benefit being they can easily be sharpened.

I've got a small tin full of them.  No idea now where it came from but they ain't half sharp if you're not careful.

Ask me how I know....................:rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

They are called winbags, I got mine from Sainsbury’s Homebase at £3.50 each

That’s one hell of a price as most Winbags I’ve seen at up around the £12-£14 price. I wonder if that is a pricing error on their part. 

We have a tool shop in the village and they have had them in for quite some time. In Feb we had new interior doors fitted, heavy things which needed 3 hinges with ball bearings to told them up. the chippy used these devices awich made it look so easy to adjust the height whilst fitting the doors to the frame,

I must buy a couple