Availability of drawings

Hi all.

Fairly new here and keen on scratch-building. The only thing stopping me is the availability of drawings to work from.

Can anyone suggest where I might get suitable drawings?

I haven't picked a theme yet, but likely to be the NER, or Stockton and Darlington.

Possibly Great central or L&YR at a push, as these are the ones that have piqued my interest.

Many thanks

H.

• RMweb Premium

Drawings of what?

Structures? Locos? Stock? Signals?

For the L&Y, GC and NER, the relevant society would be the first point of call as they tend to be the repository of drawings, and there's also the HMRS and NRM collections. 

There have probably been relevant drawings published in the modelling press over the years, the BRMNA.org website has a fairly comprehensive index which might help you narrow down specific titles/issues to hunt down. 

Hi, I started modelling NER locos and rolling stock many years ago. I bought quite a few archive drawings when the Oxford Publishing Co. were selling copies. This collection is now at the (National) Railway Museum, however in the current circumstances I don't know how possible it is to order copies. Here is a link to the lists: https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/research-and-archive/further-resources/catalogues#drawing-lists 

I may have a few that I would be willing to pass on if any might be of interest.

Good luck!

I have always gone to York's spent the day in searchengine going through the list I thought I would like to see then ordering the ones I actually needed. Not sure how I would do that these days. Luckily I have a stock pile of drawings to go through.

Marc

Most loco's and wagons will have been drawn in one or other of the magazines over the decades - drawings in the mags were much more common in years gone by. A quick search of on line indexes or even just googling it will probably point you in the right direction. Then you can try to get a copy via ebay or put a query on here and some sad fool, with thousands in his loft (who, me?) can PM you a scan.

The Railway Modeller, incidentally, offers a valuable service where they can send you a photocopy of any article they have ever published, for a small fee, if you can't find the right mag elsewhere.