Bachmann locos

Rossi

On 05/06/2020 at 15:25, micklner said:

New motor , bearings gone and the brushes worn out. Bachmann normally offer a good price and excellent service.

Hi Micklner,

Being a bit green with these new Bachmann motors... Is that brass part, the brush? I've just come across the exact same scenario with the class 73049, (pushing it in & motor flies away, as in video) plus there was a very small deposit of black debris beneath the motor.

4 hours ago, micklner said:

Brass, I presume you mean the Worm which drives/connects to the gear wheel between the wheels

No, not the worm, the part on the video where I can slightly touch it and the motor starts running.

Positive wire connected to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was on a roll. (Maybe a new page for this?)

Getting the diesel class 24 motor out seems a different kettle of fish.

Anyone done one? Can't find anything on youtube.

Pics below show I've stripped every screw out but the motor seems held in.

Prise it out? Not sure.

class24motor.jpg

class24motor2.jpg

Eureka.

When you've done one the others will be easier!

Prised slowly one end out & that was that. Success.

The pliable plastic harness remains in the metal body top.

Couple of fine wires came adrift with the rough handling, (lights at front) but not a problem

This motor is far larger than any of the 3MT/5MT.

class24motorout.jpg

Eureka.

Couple of fine wires came adrift with the rough handling, (lights at front) but not a problem

Edited by Rossi
duplicated

17 hours ago, Rossi said:

Eureka.

This seems to be a common feature of many modern diesels, more a motor for 7mm rather than 4mm!

I suspect that if you had a couple of 24's and were prepared to run them permanently as a pair, you could easily operate with only one being powered.

John.

Hi John,

Yes you're probably right.

Not got a quote from Bachmann yet but I suspect the price will be bigger than the 3MT & 5MT motors I bought.

Now the 24 is in bits I'll have to bite the bullet anyway.:lol::lol:

• Friendly/supportive 1

It sounds like the brushes or the brush holder contacts may be at fault.  I had a lot of problems with Anchoridge motors taking the temper out of their brush springs when the motors were overloaded. Soldering contacts direct to the brush holders sounds like a good work around. I found replacement brush springs in several other non railway motors, they are only around 1mm diameter.

Even XO4s can suffer from poor brush tension, especially where the insulation and contact tag both wrap round on the insulated brush.   Glad you found replacement Bachmann motors. I never succeeded 10 years or so ago when many of mine failed.

• 2 weeks later...

EKM Exhibitions have replacement early type Bachmann motors and also later twin flywheel ones that fit most of the modern diesel types. Web site is ekmexhibitions.co.uk where you can download a full list of spares.

Bachmann sent me 2 motors for the class24 & 25.

Working on the steam outline engines was a doddle compared with the diesels.

So many delicate wires once you've got to the engine...which just prises out with some effort!

Also managed to knock one of the wires off the new motor fiddling it into position.

Anyway the good news is it's fixed and running (class 24).

Might wait until tomorrow to tackle the 25.

4 hours work on the 24 was enough for me!!!

Thanks again for replies/help etc.

class24fixed.jpg

Edited by Rossi
spelling!
  • Like 2

On 08/07/2020 at 17:22, RAS15H said:

EKM Exhibitions have replacement early type Bachmann motors and also later twin flywheel ones that fit most of the modern diesel types. Web site is ekmexhibitions.co.uk where you can download a full list of spares.

Thanks for posting this - some useful items in there.

The motors seem good value compared to other manufacturers.

John.

Considering where we live( 200 miles off the coast of Africa) the first charge of 45 euro's for the steam outline motors ( 2) & just 10 euro's more for the diesels. (2 )..Can't really complain.

I've moaned about Bachmann engines (having  4 of them give up the ghost) but they've come through with spares & to be honest also given some good advice from the techno guys.

Edited by Rossi
duplicated...again. My fault!!!