The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Songs with a railway theme

rocor

15 hours ago, steve1 said:

H*nky Tonk Train Blues, various artists.

The Original Original H*nky Tonk Night Train Blues - Pete Atkin. Describes accurately the workings of a steam loco.

steve

The RMweb bowdleriser at it again!

This is the version I have in my record collection....

• RMweb Premium

My dad had a "trad jazz" single I remember from my childhood. I couldn't tell you the artist from memory but with the wonders of the internet, it was Terry Lightfoot and his New Orleans Jazzmen. The song was "The old pull 'n push"

The opening lines were "You've heard of all the famous trains that break all the records and we've all seen the old Royal Scot" and it went on to extol the local push/pull "Tearing round the corner, steam whistle shrilling, bushes flying by with a woosh".

You can even find it on youtube now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4yuQFzxXs

They don't write them like that any more.

Slow moving outlaw by Waylon Jennings has lots of train references too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGQwmbg3AaI

Edited by t-b-g
To add links

The One After 9.09 - Fabs

Homeward Bound - Paul Simon, written on Widnes station with the opening line ''I'm sitting on a railway station, got a ticket for my destination...''

Last Train To London - ELO

Last Train To Clarksville - The Monkees

Trains, & Boats & Plains - Burt Back Ache

On 31/05/2020 at 19:53, steve1 said:

Blyth Power are a folk-punk band formed by a railway enthusiast called Joseph Porter and named after a Class 56. They have several railway-related songs, Junction Signal is just one of them.

There's also Eastfield, an "Urban Rail Punk" band (in their own words) named after the depot. Their website, run by the main man Jesse has some superb railway photos on it. 

https://www.eastfieldrailpunk.co.uk/

Mr Cloggy Dog of this parish is well acquainted with both of these beat groups...

steve

Appropriately, The Lengthmen have shared the stage with our good chums Eastfield several times.  When I last saw Joseph from Blyth Power - at the Warley show last November - we discussed doing a show in Derby this year, this is presently on hold for obvious reasons.

And for railway themed tuneage, here's a top choice:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Chris rea album,  deltics mentioned earlier does have a track about deltics on it

Another railway sone is night mail by public service broadcasting 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Big big train have done several railway songs including east coast racer about Mallard and the permanent way to name two

They had an album called English electric full power 

Folk rock if anyone is interested 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Appropriately, The Lengthmen have shared the stage with our good chums Eastfield several times.  When I last saw Joseph from Blyth Power - at the Warley show last November - we discussed doing a show in Derby this year, this is presently on hold for obvious reasons.

And for railway themed tuneage, here's a top choice:

Are we allowed to mention them? 

• RMweb Premium

Freight Train-Nancy Whiskey Remember seeing her at a club pissed as a fart singing this song and smacking her head with a tine tray, wild times eh!

• Like 2