The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Songs with a railway theme

rocor

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, steve1 said:

Blyth Power are a folk-punk band formed by a railway enthusiast called Joseph Porter and named after a Class 56. They have several railway-related songs, Junction Signal is just one of them.

There's also Eastfield, an "Urban Rail Punk" band (in their own words) named after the depot. Their website, run by the main man Jesse has some superb railway photos on it. 

https://www.eastfieldrailpunk.co.uk/

Mr Cloggy Dog of this parish is well acquainted with both of these beat groups...

steve

Their song Land Sea And Sky names all the class 50s! 

Andi

• Like 1

If discussing songs about trains, surely we cannot forget the most well-known train song of the past couple of decades, the end credits song from the Thomas and Friends animated TV series?

Slightly earlier, the animated series Chigley had "The Little Steam Engine", probably better known by it's first line "Time flies by when I'm the driver of a train" as sung by the wonderful Mr Brian Cant.

Not a song as such, but instantly recognisable about trains is W H Auden's poem "Night Mail" which is recited over music by no less than Benjamin Britten in the 1936 documentary of the same name.  As a musician I should revere Britten as one of England's greatest composers (he is) but IMHO his music for that film is instantly forgettable and at times seems totally divorced from either the narrative of the poem or the action on screen! 

So, can we include music alone depicting trains in this discussion?  If so, I submit the following...

The opening theme music to Thomas and Friends (not exactly descriptive, but that tonk piano theme is instantly recognisable!) 

Next, the quirky theme music for the Ivor The Engine animated TV series; took a while to find a clip with the later solo bassoon version of the opening credits - at the end of this (longish) clip the theme is started again in its original trio version!  

How about a proper bit of music about a proper train?  "Coronation Scott" by Vivian Ellis!  

Another depiction of a train by a classical composer was "The Little Train of the Caipira" by Villa-Lobos.  If you've not heard this before, it depicts a wheezy old steam train. It is perhaps the best musical depiction of a train starting its journey, and certainly if you listen to the end you will hear the train decelerate and come to a standstill.  Definitely worth a listen (and you can ignore the artwork!)

My musical background stems from brass bands, and two pieces spring to mind.  Firstly, "Intercity" by Darrol Barry, a Salford-born composer and lecturer in brass band studies; sadly, I cannot find a recording available to share of this piece.  Secondly is the third movement from Gordon Langford's "Three Howarth Impressions", which is called "Worth Valley Railway".  This definitely 'borrows' elements of Villa-Lobos' work (particularly in the acceleration of the train near the start) but what I think Langford captures perfectly is the ca-tack ca-tack (beat) ca-tack ca-tack of carriage wheels passing over rail joints.  It is also worth a listen, although in this YouTube recording you will need to start at 9:20 unless you want to listen to the other two movements first!  

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected links
  • Like 2

It’s interesting to note that the majority of the songs about railways listed in this thread are American songs. Understandably, given the influence of the railways in America on that part of society which generated so many folk and blues singers/musicians.

For me, the definitive British song about railways is by Jethro Tull, from their Heavy Horses album. Called Journeyman, both lyrics and music invoke a very British sense of railway.

"Journeyman"

Spine-tingling railway sleepers ---
Sleepy houses lying four-square and firm
Orange beams divide the darkness
Rumbling fit to turn the waking worm.
Sliding through Victorian tunnels
where green moss oozes from the pores.
Dull echoes from the wet embankments
Battlefield allotments. Fresh open sores.

In late night commuter madness
Double-locked black briefcase on the floor
like a faithful dog with master
sleeping in the draught beside the carriage door.
To each Journeyman his own home-coming
Cold supper nearing with each station stop
Frosty flakes on empty platforms
Fireside slippers waiting. Flip. Flop.

Journeyman night-tripping on the late fantasic
Too late to stop for tea at Gerard's Cross
and hear the soft shoes on the footbridge shuffle
as the wheels turn biting on the midnight frost.

On the late commuter special
Carriage lights that flicker, fade and die
Howling into hollow blackness
Dusky diesel shudders in full cry.
Down redundant morning papers
Abandon crosswords with a cough
Stationmaster in his wisdom
told the guard to turn the heating off.

Whenever I hear this song, it brings back memories of travelling on the last train from Waterloo back to Andover, Hampshire in the mid 80s.

iD

• Like 5

I'm slightly surprised no-one has mentioned the brilliant English band Big Big Train, who (apart from their name !) have multiple rail references on their 2013 double album English Electric Full Power; Songs entitled The Permanent Way and East Coast Racer, and photos of Eastleigh Works, Leicester shed (referenced in the song Summoned by Bells), a PW gang at work and 4498 Mallard (which is what East Coast Racer is about). And their (ex)-guitarist Dave Gregory was of course a member of XTC, the documentary about who heavily featured Pendon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I'm slightly surprised no-one has mentioned the brilliant English band Big Big Train, who (apart from their name !) have multiple rail references on their 2013 double album English Electric Full Power; Songs entitled The Permanent Way and East Coast Racer, and photos of Eastleigh Works, Leicester shed (referenced in the song Summoned by Bells), a PW gang at work and 4498 Mallard (which is what East Coast Racer is about). And their (ex)-guitarist Dave Gregory was of course a member of XTC, the documentary about who heavily featured Pendon.

Their first album is called “Goodbye To The Age Of Steam” too! One of their other albums features a song called Evening Star.

Back To Squeeze, and their song “Third Rail”, rather suits a South London band!

British prog band Mostly Autumn do a nice instrumental “Distant Train”.

Over the pond, Bob Seger’s “Long Twin Silver Line” is a nice chunk of railroad inspired rock n roll.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pH said:

There definitely was a topic on this, but it appears to have been on an earlier version of the site.

Some suggestions:

Play a Train Song - Todd Snider

Texas Eagle - Steve Earle

Dixie Flyer - Randy Newman

The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore - Johnny Cash

She Caught the Katy (And Left Me a Mule to Ride) - Blues Brothers

Southern Streamline - John Fogerty

Southern Pacific - Neil Young

All the songs from 'The Ballad of John Axon' - https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-ballad-of-john-axon-mw0000243698

Oh, yes! A groundbreaking programme

• RMweb Premium

Paradise by John Prine, written in 1971, is a lament for the lost landscape of part of Kentucky, destroyed by strip mining, and the lost town of Paradise. The refrain goes: 

And daddy, won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry, my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

4 hours ago, Colin said:

British prog band Mostly Autumn do a nice instrumental “Distant Train”.

Mostly Autumn also have a song called Passengers on the same album.

and there's Slow Train by Status Quo from the album Quo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A very private one that I can't find anywhere was one written (mainly) by Cal Ford and I suspect only performed once (and never recorded) about Radyr Yard that he played at the annual Radyr staff social and retirement evening in the BRSA at Cardiff Queen Street in 1973.  I can't find much about his regular repertoire from that time so I don't know if anything about it survived.

H*nky Tonk Train Blues, various artists.

The Original Original H*nky Tonk Night Train Blues - Pete Atkin. Describes accurately the workings of a steam loco.

steve

Edited by steve1
Won't accept h*nky for some reason

• RMweb Premium

Trans Europe Express - Kraftwerk

Achterbahn - Spider Murphy Gang

Train - Leo Sayer

Edited by DIW

The Men They Couldn't Hang - Rain, Steam and Speed

Also - Midnight Train - I think about nuclear waste transport? Imagine the music class where you are given that theme to write a song around. 

They do a fair amount of historical-themed songs - Ironmasters, Waiting For Bonaparte [Spithead mutiny], Ghosts of Cable Street. 

• Like 3