The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Songs with a railway theme

rocor

Through the postings on this thread, I had a chance to listen to a lot of tracks(!) that I have not heard before.

Keep waiting for one of my favourites to crop up. But as it has not yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX_SHVILEA

I liked this one since it was first released, now that ages me.

• Like 3

On 03/06/2020 at 02:23, warbonnetuk said:

Billy Bragg and Joe Henry's "Shine a Light" takes it to a new level. A collection of railroad related C&W / Bluegrass songs recorded at various Amtrak depots while they travelled between Chicago and LA by train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mJnOX6fbvo

I have to say I was disappointed in that album. A couple of good tracks, but the rest ... meh.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got the song  ‘last train South’ in my head. I’ve got it somewhere in my music collection, but frustratingly can’t find it. I suspect that while ‘last train south’ is part of the lyrics, its not the song title.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Al Stewart has songs called Trains and Night Train To Munich.

steve

Trains has already come up but good call on Night Train to Munich, a great song from a fine album.

Although it's not specifically a train song, I love the imagery in Roads to Moscow:

I'll never know, I'll never know why I was taken from the line and all the others
To board a special train and journey deep into the heart of holy Russia

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lindisfarne - Train In G Minor,

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Midnight Special and Graveyard Train, plus lyrics from Green River: 

" Up at Cody's camp I spent my days with Flat Car Riders and Cross Tie Walkers".  There's also a track with the title 'Cross Tie Walker'.

One of my favourites, which I don't think I've seen listed and no apologies if I'm repeating it :- Smokestack Lightning by Howling Wolf.

Not actually a song so a bit ot and rather obscure, but there was a band called Gravy Train who produced an album of the same name, the cover photo of which was taken at Glemsford station in Suffolk a few years after its closure.

• RMweb Premium

I knew I had a deja vu feeling about the theme of this thread and have just found the topic 'Train related music on MRL TV', where in 2014 I posted :- "

'Train Song' from Pentangle's 'Basket of Light' album is to me a masterpiece of musical imagery."