Bachmann Colletts

Ok first of all, confession time, this is probably the 2nd or 3rd coach related posts in as many weeks.  In my defence, I have been using lockdown to good effect to do some much needed work on my layout and to stock take my...erm stock!

I have a few Bachmann Colletts and I have done some work to upgrade them - I took the plunge and butchered the floor of 3 to fit the Keen coupling system.  That has turned out ok, however I the coaches do seem a little tired looking alongside my Hornby Hawksworths, Colletts and Staniers and a Bachmann 'porthole' composite I managed to get hold of last week. 

I have been considering attempting re-glazing the Bachmann Colletts but I am not sure I really want to spend a lot more time (any money) on these coaches.   In an ideal world, Bachmann would release there is a market for these coaches and do a re-tooled/updated version.  I havent spotted that they are intending to, or that one of the other manufacturers is thinking about it, although I guess there is an outside chance Dapol might consider it to run with their Manor and 43xx Mogul, particularly as they already do N versions.  

Have I missed any announcements that anyone is intending to model these coaches at any time?  It would certainly make up my mind as to doing any more work on the Bachmann Colletts I do have.  

Hi Chris,

You holding out for a retool/refresh version from Bachmann (or another manufacturer) or are you just  using Hawksworths and Hornby bow ended Colletts instead?

I am surprised Bachmann didnt spot the opportunity to update/improve their Colletts. Hornby issuing their Hawksworths would have seemed to have been an obvious cue to me. I am sure there'd be a market. I can't be the only modeller wanting to run trains comprised of a mix of Hawksworth and Collett stock!! 

The coaches represent an all third and a brake composite. You can buy a composite but it's just a fraudulent paint job.

I have placed comet coach composite sides on one to create a proper composite. The model is two mm too long for the sides.

I also understand the model coach windows are not deep enough and that the old mainline/replica versions have the correct depth windows.

It's likely that other comet sides can be used to create other types.

It is disappointing that Bachmann haven't announced any new versions but even if they did you could probably create upgrades before any Bachmann ones hit the shops

Edited by rovex

7 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I am expecting nothing from Bachmann and will rely on kit building.

Chris

I to expect no miracles on the collet front, and find the actual mainline versions better thanks to the thinner window bars, and I bought enough when they were new anyway........just needing toplights personly got enough mainline stock with the new Hornby stuff which are very nice but make the MAJ and PC stock looking a bit O! Dear when it gets close to the operator as it goes around

I actually think the Mainline/Bachmann sunshine coaches are a sound basis for conversion using brass side overlays; the roofs in particular are quite well detailed, the underframes reasonable and the bogies ok. Comet alone produce around 10 different variants of side that can be used on these coaches. 

I think the sunshine coaches are fair candidates for eventual retool, but the problem is that Bachmann would make glacial progress, and when they do eventually appear, they would be north of, what; £60-£70 a coach? I cannot see Hornby adding a third range of GWR corridor stock, so perhaps Dapol would be interested? Oxford have not yet shown any interest in coaching stock  and neither have Heljan. 

Not completely out of leftfield, how about a Hattons project, or dare I say even a Rails product utilizing the new 3d print technology? The sunshine coaches are certainly iconic GWR stock, were fairly long lived up until around 1965/66, and are preserved in decent number. They would augment the Hornby Collets and Hawksworths really well and I think would sell well. 

CoY

9 hours ago, MDP78 said:

...although I guess there is an outside chance Dapol might consider it to run with their Manor and 43xx Mogul, particularly as they already do N versions.

Though it's a really outside chance given those N gauge models are based off of the now Bachmann 00 versions so probably not the best starting point...

15 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

and when they do eventually appear, they would be north of, what; £60-£70 a coach? 

I managed to get hold of a Bachmann Stanier 60ft composite online last week. When it arrived it had a price tag on the box. My wife spotted the tag and commented that £48 seemed a lot for one coach. At least it distracted her attention from the Hornby 4mt that got delivered on the same day......!!!

• RMweb Gold

I've been hinting to Dapol for a while in the so far forlorn hope that they'd put their 7mm diagram N auto trailer through a shrink ray.  I wouldn't hold your breath for a retool of these Colletts as it is far more likely that Blue Box will re-issue the existing tooling at around the £35 level; enough people will buy them to make it worth their while and even I might go for one or two as chassis donors.

I'm starting to think we may have reached or are close to reaching 'peak RTR', as the post CV world is going to be marked by major economic recession and it will less likely that companies will design new toolings when the ones we've got are pretty good (by the standards of 30 years or even 20 years ago).  This makes new tooling less likely in future, but only my opinion of course.  Other opinions just as wrong, misguided, poorly informed, or plain daft as mine are available, and there may be even a few out there worth listening to!

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I actually think the Mainline/Bachmann sunshine coaches are a sound basis for conversion using brass side overlays; the roofs in particular are quite well detailed, the underframes reasonable and the bogies ok. Comet alone produce around 10 different variants of side that can be used on these coaches. 

I think the sunshine coaches are fair candidates for eventual retool, but the problem is that Bachmann would make glacial progress, and when they do eventually appear, they would be north of, what; £60-£70 a coach? I cannot see Hornby adding a third range of GWR corridor stock, so perhaps Dapol would be interested? Oxford have not yet shown any interest in coaching stock  and neither have Heljan. 

Not completely out of leftfield, how about a Hattons project, or dare I say even a Rails product utilizing the new 3d print technology? The sunshine coaches are certainly iconic GWR stock, were fairly long lived up until around 1965/66, and are preserved in decent number. They would augment the Hornby Collets and Hawksworths really well and I think would sell well. 

CoY

Given Bachmann have released super detailed Thompson (BR(E) / LNER and Stainer Porthole stock (BR (M)), plus are in the process of doing Bulleid stock for the SR / BR(S), the GWR / BR(W) region will be the only one where they don't have anything decent.

As such its quite possible that revamped Colletts (or something else) could be an attractive venture for Bachmann to pursue - however given the uncertain economic outlook post Covid (and post Brexit) combined with the struggle Bachmann already have in brining fresh product to the market its unlikely that such a project would happen in the foreseeable future.