Stroudley Terriers in Southern Railway black?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

While looking through a couple of books on the above class I noted that there weren't many images of the mainland ones in SR livery, and the majority of those were clearly in lined olive green.  Does anyone know which ones were in unlined black?  

[This may also help solve a dilemma with some of my stock.]

Many thanks for any help with this.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

As far as I have been able to find out, W8 'Freshwater' was unlined black when nationalised, the SOUTHERN lettering being replaced with BRITISH RAILWAYS. I am also fairly sure W13 Carisbrooke was lined Malachite green at this time. However, these two did not return to the mainland until the late 1940's.

'Fenchurch' was painted black in 1926 and numbered B636, when the Southern acquired Newhaven Harbour who had purchased her from the LBSCR nearly 30 year previously. 2647 'Cheapside' was also SR black goods livery 1936-1950, but I am not sure if it was lined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for the responses.  All I have been able to find in terms of mainland locos in Southern livery are as follows (there are others but they seem to be the same locos on different dates and locations):

Kardas:

p48 - B653 lined green - Littlehampton Feb 27;

p50 - 2636 unclear but described as ' ... the later Maunsell livery ... ' Newhaven - Sept 47;

p51 - 2655 lined green; B644 unclear - 2635 unclear; Fratton May 33

p51 - 2647 lined ? - Newhaven - undated;

Middlemass:

p63 - E735 unclear - Eastliegh - undated (sometime 30-36);

p66 - B653 lined green - Eastliegh (?) - post 1934

p71 - 2644 lined green - Fratton Aug 38;

p72 - 2647 plain black (?) - no location, undated;

p81 - B659 lined green - Fratton august 38;

p81 - 2659 lined green - Rolvenden sometime 1940-42;

p94 - 2662 lined green - Havant - mid-37;

p107 - B636 plain black - Newhaven undated;

p108 - 2636 unclear; 2647 unclear - Newhaven June 49

RCTS:

This book only has one in mainland loco in Southern livery, and it's clearly lined green.

There seem to be plenty of pictures of IoW versions in olive, malachite, and black

The images marked unclear are where the loco is too dirty, or the image is too indistinct to tell.

Again, thanks for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Tidying up list.

The 1970 Southern Livery Register lists 2636 / 47 & 515S ( + 680S ) 'in existence in Maunsell livery' in 1948 - also W10 & W12 which were already withdrawn. ( 2647 retained this livery 'til withdrawn in 1951.)

All other members of the class would have been running in Sunshine black at Nationalisation  -  unless John Harvey has found exceptions for the new Register.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Bradley states 2655 was painted unlined olive green with Bulleid style lettering 21/12/39. No others received  this livery before plain black became standard. Number 2644 being the first to black in Nov 1941. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for those two posts.  That's also reference sources that I am not familiar with, namely the 'Southern Livery Register' and 'Bradley'; could you enlighten me about them?  Thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Pictures in the book “Stroudley and his terriers” by Tom Middlemass also show: 
32644 was out shopped from Brighton works in July 1948 in plain black with number and  “British Railways” in Sunshine lettering.

2655 caption states 1937 but in unlined livery with sunshine lettering so I assume date is actually post 1939 

2662 in unlined black with sunshine lettering dated October 1947

32646 In unlined black,  back on mainland number in Gill sans but with high position “British Railways” in Sunshine lettering as gained on IoW above now removed nameplate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex TM said:

Hi again,

Thanks for those two posts.  That's also reference sources that I am not familiar with, namely the 'Southern Livery Register' ........

..... that's the 'HMRS Livery Register ; no.3 ; LSWR and Southern' ( plus 1990 Addendum which adds nothing to this discussion. ) ( sorry I missed 2655 there, too, Graham ).

The HMRS ( Historical Model Railway Society ) is in the process of updating this under the title 'Southern Style' with vastly increased detail : the LSWR and Brighton volumes are already available and the Southern Volume is at the printers - though I'm not sure how locked-down they are now ! 

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Thanks 1