Modern trip workings

Im not really sure if this counts as a question or as a discussion, but Ill put it here as it has a question in it somewhere.

So the other, maybe a week or so ago I was watching railcam Crewe 4 camera and I saw a Class 66 hauling a single set of intermodal wagons that had just one intermodal tank container on it, it came off Salop Goods on the Down Liverpool Independent heading towards Runcorn Folly Lane.
I assumed it was carrying some raw materials for one of the industries down there. Caustic soda maybe...

Seeing it made me think of wagon load freight hauling as there was just one container. But then I thought about all the trip workings we did back in what now feels like the far distant past.

Would this have been a trip working from Bassford Hall to Folly Lane, I didnt think they did that kind of thing anymore as there was so little money in it for the private companies to make it pay.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, CKPR said:

AFAIK There is still a trip working from Carlisle to serve the oil terminal at Dalston on the old M&CR line 

Isn't that because of the short sidings at Dalston?

Not really a trip working per se.

(But a short modellable freight nonetheless)

The inbound from Grangemouth is split at Kingmoor and then worked forward in two sections. Unloading of the first takes place whilst the return to Kingmoor (for the inbound second section) takes back those tanks remaining from the previous inbound. Loco then returns to Dalston with the second section and back to Kingmoor with the newly unloaded empties to combine with those earlier on the day to progress back to Grangemouth.

There's actually three "half-sets" that rotate as the second section is left for the next inbound from Grangemouth - if that makes sense....

• Informative/Useful 2

The Crewe BH to Runcorn Folly Lane trip is still a fairly regular runner and I believe ran today.  Formerly operated by DB it is now a Freightliner job.  The traffic, in tank containers, comprises caustic soda from Runcorn to customers in the Scottish Lowlands.  The Castner-Kellner chemical complex at Runcorn has been producing caustic soda since the nineteenth century.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1