A Vintage Blue Pullman

A very interesting read and models  John, I also remember pushing my nose against the local model shop window looking at these, and like you, it was out of my pocket money range too !

If these were made available now I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them, just for the shear fun of the build.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

G

• Like 1

May I assume from the first paragraph of your opening posting that you attended a Leicestershire Grammar school that was ideal for those interested in the Midland main line? I spent many happy hours at the fence at the bottm of the play ground.

• RMweb Premium

Superb job John and so much more interesting than opening first your wallet and then opening the Bachmann boxes.  But I know what you mean about Kitmaster prices on eBay......

• Like 2

A lovely set. If your experience is anything like mine, one of the benefits of waiting until you are well grown up to acquire a kit that you coveted as a child is that you stand a better chance of actually building it to the kind of standard that would likely have eluded you had you been given the money to buy it back then....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sheffield said:

May I assume from the first paragraph of your opening posting that you attended a Leicestershire Grammar school that was ideal for those interested in the Midland main line? I spent many happy hours at the fence at the bottm of the play ground.

Abington High School and Guthlaxton Grammar School, Wigston Magna; copped 10800 HAWK on test from Brush (Loughborough), one school lunchtime.

I only put myself forward for Prefect as they were allowed to go along the railway bank, and turf off the minion trainspotters!

Happy days,

John Isherwood.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I have a Kitmaster Blue Pullman set in the "roundtuit" pile.. I may just need to get on with them as I already have a very nice set of transfers for them!

baz

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, rka said:

Thank you, would the interior ones be available or were they a one time production for yourself? 

I'm afraid that the internal ones were not designed in a format that would allow distribution for a wider usage.

It has to be said that this level of prototypical detail is largely wasted effort, as it is wholly invisible unless the car roof is removed.

IMG_5896.JPG.2902492a86b8dc9248e07799352a27a0.JPG

1795490230_TABLELAMP.JPG.3f487e824841e296e5bf2947033a14e8.JPG

What are very visible are the table lamps, and the ones provided by Kitmaster are, understandably, something of a caricature. I would encourage anyone detailing a BP to produce scale table lamps from a short length of white styrene rod, drilled for a nickel silver wire stem.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nice work, John. I did at one time have a home-modified Triang based BP. I made kitchen end inlays with styrene and the half window sections I didn't need were re-used at the outer ends to convert from WR to Midland format. Not as good as a Kitmaster one, of course (and powered with a Lima SNCF bogie as I'd bought the unpowered outers 'new' old stock). My better effort was in 2mm scale for Chiltern Green where I used more or less your suggested method for the table lamps, except that the white shade was wire insulation.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Nice work, John. I did at one time have a home-modified Triang based BP. I made kitchen end inlays with styrene and the half window sections I didn't need were re-used at the outer ends to convert from WR to Midland format. Not as good as a Kitmaster one, of course (and powered with a Lima SNCF bogie as I'd bought the unpowered outers 'new' old stock). My better effort was in 2mm scale for Chiltern Green where I used more or less your suggested method for the table lamps, except that the white shade was wire insulation.

Bernard,  I think the Blue Pullman was a game changer  saying "better effort"  nope - a brilliant execution of a difficult prototype.    Hopefully it still survives safely. 

Currently Worsley works has etches for 2mm and 3mm versions - the 3mm one is a fun build but thanks to Chris Ketley has cast ends and bogie sideframes . a WIP for the beat apart of 8 years. As with John lockdown has allowed some progress. 

Robert    

Robert 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Abington High School and Guthlaxton Grammar School, Wigston Magna; copped 10800 HAWK on test from Brush (Loughborough), one school lunchtime.

I only put myself forward for Prefect as they were allowed to go along the railway bank, and turf off the minion trainspotters!

Happy days,

John Isherwood.

I went to Kibworth, a little further along the Midland Mainline. The playground was surrounded on three sides by classrooms and the dining room, and the forth side by the railway. Lean over the fence and almost touch a train on the down loop.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 20:34, Enterprisingwestern said:

Whose transfers are they?!!!!!

Mike.

Mike,

You may think that you know - but I could not possibly comment!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you to all of you have made such complimentary comments about this project, and to the other members who have expressed their appreciation via the response tabs.

When you get to your early 70s, you realise that your senses and physical abilities are no longer as good as they were, and that the time rapidly approaches when aspirations will have to be reined-in.

The decision to brush-paint the train was, I suspect (unconsciously), to see if I could still make a decent job of it. There are more than a few wobbles in the blue / white interface that are evident in close-up; (age or the long-term enjoyment of alcoholic beverages?); but it'll do for me.

There are still plenty more rolling stock projects in the 'to do' list and, if I ever pluck up courage to make a start on the garage to railway room upgrade, the prospect of a layout on which to run the ridiculous accumulation of sixty years' of stock building.

All the best - stay safe,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 4 weeks later...

John

How on earth have I not seen this thread?  (Well, I guess it might be a combination of not getting great results with the RMWeb search engine, plus spending all my efforts on manually checking every entry of the 84 page long Improving and Detailing RTR forum without thinking to check the Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding forum!)

Just to say this is a cracking looking model with, of course, the correctly shaped cab ends built in, so to speak!  This is exactly what I hope to achieve myself.  If my finish turns out half as good as on your model, I'll be very pleased.

Steve S

• RMweb Premium

And there's me thinking you only made transfers :)

Lovely job John, well worth the effort.

The drawings for the Insixfish you fancied are nearly finished.

Ian

22 minutes ago, macgeordie said:

And there's me thinking you only made transfers :)

Lovely job John, well worth the effort.

The drawings for the Insixfish you fancied are nearly finished.

Ian

Thank you for your kind comments - I look forward to the INSIXFISH with great anticipation; as you know, the transfers have been available in my range for some considerable time !!

Regards,

John.

• 9 months later...
On 02/06/2020 at 21:25, cctransuk said:

......  if I ever pluck up courage to make a start on the garage to railway room upgrade, the prospect of a layout on which to run the ridiculous accumulation of sixty years' of stock building.

I plucked up courage ......

1374845231_IMG_5994small.JPG.1f8461fc197339bd4adb18a67bb44a79.JPG

1746044914_IMG_5995small.JPG.66be753b58d3426329ac13666fc93bda.JPG

204546203_IMG_5996small.JPG.d37189c3415c42f9a1af597a80206cba.JPG

715151288_IMG_5997small.JPG.4a22d36ffd2a327452118cf5d0a99b82.JPG

John Isherwood.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1