Howes Warship sound or other?

swiftbeam

Hi,

As tile really, I'm not lucky enough to be able to hear these sound units before I spend my money and they are not cheap!

I need a sound card in my Heljan 42, Howes have been noted as being very good, but what about other sound card brands for the 42?

Thanks,

Well there is a £55 price difference between the two, so if the Biffo is also good, then I can't quite understand why anybody would buy the Howes??

Many be somebody tell me why the  huge difference in price?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Without too much Howes bashing bear in mind the Howes recordings are a good few years old now, and are based around the loksound 3.5s capabilities, the gent that did the original work, Bryan, just hasnt upgraded them.....but in answer to swift beams questions biffo's recordings are newer, and take advantage of the 4/5 version of the loksound decoder.

Howes/Bryan were the go to person before biffo came on the scene, there's nothing wrong with a lot of the Howes projects, they just haven't kept up with advances in the field. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

No, I don't want to bash anybody !

But over £200 for a little PCB and a speaker is a lot.

Need to make good choices.

Thanks.

You also get a £20.00 Speaker too.  The function list is:

F0 Lights On / Off  

F1 Sound On/Off.                                                                                    CV259-128

F2 Playable High Note Horn.                                                                 CV435-128

F3 Playable Low Note Horn.                                                                  CV443-128

F4 Buffer Clash(when moving slow) and coupling hook sounds.   CV283-128

F5 Playable Brake Application (Active Braking)                                  CV291-128 

F6 Drivers Door.                                                                                      CV299-128

F7 Compressor.                                                                                       CV307-128

F8 Drive Hold (DriveLock)                                                                      CV267-0

F9 Speed Dependant Automatic Flange/Wheel Squeal.                   CV323-128

F10 Despatch Whistle.                                                                            CV331-128

F11 Not Used.

F12 Not Used.

F13 Not Used.

F14 Two Speed Vacuum Exhauster.                                                    CV363-128

F15 Engine Pre-Heaters.                                                                        CV371-60

F16 Fuel Pump.                                                                                       CV379-80

F17 Engine Priming.                                                                               CV387-70

F18 Detonators (3 Bang Stop Warning)                                              CV395-40

F19 Aux 1. (Autofade cab lights)                                                          CV427-60

F20 Aux 2. (Disable tail lights if enabled)

Edited by charliepetty

I'm assuming we are talking O gauge?

I don't know of a Heljan 00 gauge 'Warship' BUT I might be completely wrong.

If it is O gauge, You will find the lighting set up a lot different to any other plus the sounds are new.

Wiggy.