World's Most Scenic Railway Journeys - Ch5

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Click here

The series seemed to be about wonderful railway journeys in some of the world's most opulent trains none of which we could afford until last night's episode featuring the Ligne des Cevennes from Nimes to Clermont-Ferrand (or vice-versa) which used standard SNCF train services. It is well within our impoverished budget and it seemed perfectly do-able off season when cooler, quieter. There were added attractions of a nano-brewery in Chamborigaud run by an ex-pat from Leicester plus lovely French folk, everything low key and our kind of territory accessible from Cherbourg once Brittany Ferries and life returns to normal.

Our delayed Brittany Ferries trip will be rescheduled to involve a return trip on this line amongst other activities.

Cheers and Stay Safe

• 2 weeks later...

The line is undergoing more repairs and a blockade scheduled to end in June is now extended to July 4th. Further work is planned in the Autumn. Journey information is published daily. 

https://www.ligne-des-cevennes.com/

It may be worth contacting the line support group for more information. 

I had planned to run small group railway tours to the area but the timetable chaos caused by strikes, sudden engineering work and now corona have put this idea on hold till 2021.

Thought last night’s about Finland was interesting, but I wouldn’t have ranked it highly in a list of most scenic. Flat, snow, trees, flat, snow, trees etc. Each to their own I suppose. 

Edited by eastwestdivide

7 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Thought last night’s about Finland was interesting, but I wouldn’t have ranked it highly in a list of most scenic. Flat, snow, trees, flat, snow, trees etc. Each to their own I suppose. 

I travelled that route back in 1985, in the opposite direction, and would have to agree......Trees and lakes are beautiful, but not so much when you spend 8 hours plus looking at nothing else !