How far will this one get

rab

20 minutes ago, rab said:

There may be some logic in a parallel extension as far as Goodrington Sands for regular scheduled GWR services, but beyond that surely it's a matter of commercially/ operationally accommodating railtours and charters alongside the T&D's standard timetable - and in the present climate that may be fraught with problems TBH.

• Agree 1

I agree that utilising the exisiting line to Goodrington for a new station there would be a realistic target.

As regards a train service to Brixham that is a no hoper in my estimation. In the last years of BR service I think there was about 1 passenger per train off peak, the change at Churston being time consuming, the regular bus service provides a better service for local travel.

I have thought that had the junction at Churston faced the other way with direct access from the Paignton direction to Brixham, with no reversal then that might be more useful, Brixham trains would no longer call at Churston and the journey would be much quicker. Brixham station is some climb above the town centre which is a deterrent to many travellers.

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rab said:

I can't see why it would bother them at all if the proposal is just to go as far as Goodrington. Should be an easy project so long as it does not get over-specified to a ridiculous extent and made unaffordable. Location for a "parkway" is ideal, close to the main road and a car park. I was surprised to see on Google Maps just how many sidings there are both at Goodrington and between Goodrington and Paignton.

My first responses are what developer benefits, and why is a Totnes MP interested.

It is also worth pointing out that there exists plans for a new station just outside of Torbay, which would provide service to a lot more people in Torbay with parking, that no one wants to fund.

37 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I was surprised to see on Google Maps just how many sidings there are both at Goodrington and between Goodrington and Paignton.

I believe the Goodrington sidings are now owned by the steam railway, the other set of sidings are NR and I think @Captain Kernow has posted in the past that he fought to keep/protect them as they are still useful.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Other than the bit about going to Brixham I could see some real sense about this. 

To be fair the article doesn't talk about going to Brixham, but using Churston to serve Brixham.

Article also mentions Torbay will be pursuing funding under another government scheme for the other station I mentioned, Edginswell, just on the outskirts of Torquay.

It could, with enough parking, provide the same parkway station capabilities as the MP claims to want for Goodrington at the cost of a slightly longer drive for Goodrington area people, but with the benefit of (if successful) not further clogging up streets in a developed area.

(sudden thought, I seem to recall Torbay's first elected mayor had plans for a significant housing development in the leisure centre area - could just be coincidence that an MP wants a shiny new NR station nearby).

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2020 at 16:10, mdvle said:

My first responses are what developer benefits, and why is a Totnes MP interested.

It is also worth pointing out that there exists plans for a new station just outside of Torbay, which would provide service to a lot more people in Torbay with parking, that no one wants to fund.

I believe the Goodrington sidings are now owned by the steam railway, the other set of sidings are NR and I think @Captain Kernow has posted in the past that he fought to keep/protect them as they are still useful.

They do own it, the line was severed from NR goodrington carriage sidings some years ago, quite what the point of this adventure is I dont know....he talks about getting people from the national network to the line easier....yet both PDSR and national network pretty much share a station at Paignton...save a fence in the way!!!

PDSR dont run a shuttle service to goodrington sands probably because adjacent to the sidings in question there is a massive car park....why would you pay to go on the train.....when you can park your car 5 mins walk from the beach, for probably cheaper than what the PDSR will charge you....for 2 adults and 2 kids...

a shuttle service from Paignton to goodrington would really make sense, but it would have to be really heavily subsidised I expect to make it viable.

The other issue is I dont think (but could be wrong) the operating model on the PDSR allows for any increase in capacity beyond what they run now.

Edited by pheaton
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, pheaton said:

They do own it, the line was severed from NR goodrington carriage sidings some years ago, quite what the point of this adventure is I dont know....he talks about getting people from the national network to the line easier....yet both PDSR and national network pretty much share a station at Paignton...save a fence in the way!!!

Actually, he doesn't say anything at all about that.  The two of them don't care one bit about getting people from the national network to the steam railway because their idea has nothing to do with the steam railway other than perhaps needing to use some of its infrastructure.

The talk/plans are about creating a station on NR served by GWR in Paignton that has abundant car parking, so that the people of Paignton can drive to the station, park their car, and catch the train to Exeter - this essentially being an extension to the Devon Metro idea.

The flip would be people from Newton Abbot could hop on the train to get to Goodrington, though this I expect is more of an excuse to make the idea seem more viable (and to hide what it really is) then something that would be all that popular.

• Like 1