The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Post lockdown easing...... Rubbish!

newbryford

17 minutes ago, TheQ said:

People who visit the same beach regularly can  Buy / rent (depending on the local councils rules ) one, they are normally placed at the back of a beach. you are not allowed to stay overnight in them. But many are fitted out with seating / a camping cooker  / camping sink. Their doors are often arranged to open out in to a verandah / with roof so you can sit on the beach in windy / rainy weather..  in some areas they go for many thousands of pounds..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-most-expensive-beach-hut-11877744

Wells Next The Sea, apparently! 

Whitby has a long row of rented ones on the West Beach. Anyone with experience of holidays on the East Coast will understand why they are popular. 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Wells Next The Sea, apparently! 

Whitby has a long row of rented ones on the West Beach. Anyone with experience of holidays on the East Coast will understand why they are popular. 

Not for nothing is Wells-next-the-Sea, is known by many as Chelsea on sea... The locals are well and truly priced out of the area for local housing let alone beach huts..

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Not for nothing is Wells-next-the-Sea, is known by many as Chelsea on sea... The locals are well and truly priced out of the area for local housing let alone beach huts..

Wells-next-the-sea is also something of a centre for wind farm operations, last time I was there I saw a temporary loading bay dredged out of the foreshore between the tide marks and I’ve had enquiries occasionally for work there. Like most of the East Coast bases it has serious problems with accommodation costs and availability. 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Wells-next-the-sea is also something of a centre for wind farm operations, last time I was there I saw a temporary loading bay dredged out of the foreshore between the tide marks and I’ve had enquiries occasionally for work there. Like most of the East Coast bases it has serious problems with accommodation costs and availability. 

The only cheap places for accommodation would be Great Yarmouth, but then you've added an extra 60miles sea time to reach that area.. Or Kings Lynn with an extra 40 Miles..

• Like 2

My biggest irritation is dumping at the local charity shop, despite a notice explaining that they can't use stuff left outside when they are closed, for hygiene reasons, and that it actually costs the charity to dospose of it, and an even bigger notice saying that they are closed for COVID and please don't leave stuff. There are still people dumping their stuff in the doorway and someone is having to clear it up every few days.

• Friendly/supportive 6

22 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The only cheap places for accommodation would be Great Yarmouth, but then you've added an extra 60miles sea time to reach that area.. Or Kings Lynn with an extra 40 Miles..

There are several projects on the point of mobilising at present, after Stage 1 works in 2018/19; it will be interesting to see what develops. 

2 hours ago, Grovenor said:

My biggest irritation is dumping at the local charity shop, despite a notice explaining that they can't use stuff left outside when they are closed, for hygiene reasons, and that it actually costs the charity to dospose of it, and an even bigger notice saying that they are closed for COVID and please don't leave stuff. There are still people dumping their stuff in the doorway and someone is having to clear it up every few days.

It annoys me as well. They normally dump them late at night for some unfathomable reason.

Means the local lowlife have a good rummage through to see if there is anything in the bags/boxes worth nicking. Usually leaving things strewn everywhere. Normally after they've had a trip to the supermarket to get cheap alcohol or coming from one of the fast food joints.

Thankfully our shop is right next to where the shopping precinct cleaners have their store room and where our bins are, so the cleaners often bring the stuff in for us.

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Hmm those little bottle are hopeless, too small for any use at all, well under a second of gas in there.

But then nitrous kits for tractor juice engines are quite fiddly.

Now to burgers.

The idiots are queueing miles for them, left work yesterday, had trouble getting out due to burger queuers. 17:00 and already queued out onto the small office estate through road.

Burger place had also shut the road entrance to our offices estate, to force the burger junkies to enter from the other end blocking other offices further up.

I have warned everyone else about this in case they go to work.

In our city 1/4 mile long queues.

2 hours ago, MJI said:

Burger place had also shut the road entrance to our offices estate, to force the burger junkies to enter from the other end blocking other offices further up.

In our city 1/4 mile long queues.

Silly Burgers - never mind as obesity is one of the key risk factors for Covid-19, particularly in males, many of them may soon be candidates for the morgue.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It would be ironic if the pundits were wrong and no serious increase in covid occurred due to the relaxation of the strict rules as many younger people have promulgated.  All those on beaches and elsewhere flaunting it and apparently not caring as they figure they are not in the vulnerable category.  If true will it make any difference as many places are loosening up anyway?

Brian.

14 minutes ago, brianusa said:

It would be ironic if the pundits were wrong and no serious increase in covid occurred due to the relaxation of the strict rules as many younger people have promulgated.  All those on beaches and elsewhere flaunting it and apparently not caring as they figure they are not in the vulnerable category.  If true will it make any difference as many places are loosening up anyway?

Brian.

It would be more worrying if they proved wrong.

Second wave predicted!

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, might drop a few CO2 canisters for my air pistol about.....see what sort of hit they get out of those..

First thing I’d do , is make Mcds and Burger King imprint each customers postcode on their packaging , that way it’s traceable when it’s lobbed put the car.The penalty would be harsh .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Hmmm, might drop a few CO2 canisters for my air pistol about.....see what sort of hit they get out of those..

First thing I’d do , is make Mcds and Burger King imprint each customers postcode on their packaging , that way it’s traceable when it’s lobbed put the car.The penalty would be harsh .

I do know of someone who saw someone tipping FF packaging out of car, so they picked it up and chucked it in through their sun roof.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Sixty years ago "Keep Britain Tidy" posters were commonplace and I think that there were public information films on the subject as well. There were, of course, some litter bugs but generally Britain was tidy and one noticed far higher levels of litter when travelling abroad in some countries.

Nowadays, it seems to me that we have by far the biggest litter problem in Europe. Every roadside verge along main roads is strewn with litter thrown from cars. I see far less of that overseas.

Serious action needs to be taken. Let's use dashcam footage to prosecute these people. Generally, people convicted of littering should be made to do a couple of weeks (unpaid) working with council teams doing the constant clean-ups needed. And any driver of a car who chucks rubbish out of his car, or permits one of his passengers to do so, should lose their licence for a few months as well as doing the two weeks of clean-up duty. 

First step would be to get this debated in Parliament. We should all be writing to our MPs about this but there is also the Govt petitions website where, if 100,000 (istr) sign up, it goes for debate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

This a very strange thread - seemingly only for trash postings ... but not for the causes of trash (to misquote an old political slogan).

I live in Gateshead, one of the 2 worst Boroughs in England for C-19 and high R value (as at mid May).

I am 83, and have been in Lockdown since May 12. Two things did register with me during that time:

• Reading "the Medieval Expansion of Europe" that is on eldest grandson's Reading List for his second year of a History degree.
  • The celebration of 75 years since VE day.

Both these were dependent upon the age group that are being most chastised by all these trash postings i.e. the young who seem to believe they're indestructible. They were to the fore in the Crusades, the voyages and expansions during the Black Death and the" fearless" men and women of the Second World War.

My uncle Pete was not yet twenty when he was  posted missing over Burma three weeks before VJ day, I remember him as a mad beggar who'd have surely killed himself (and me hanging on for dear life) on his Matchless had he remained an apprentice at home. 

Edited by runs as required
  • Friendly/supportive 5

^^^^^^
maybe I’m becoming an old fart at 48, but today’s young people would seek counselling if they shut their hand in a fridge door, let alone be able to storm up a beach in Normandy .

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the illegal lockdown trips to the SW & NW (two of the most badly affected areas for unauthorised visits) has possibly had an effect as the R number in both those areas is now increasing again.

Official figures give the R number in both at 1 but some are claiming it is now over 1, the point at which infection starts spreading again.

Estimates suggest many are first time visitors and they leave a lot of rubbish just anywhere

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Sixty years ago "Keep Britain Tidy" posters were commonplace and I think that there were public information films on the subject as well. There were, of course, some litter bugs but generally Britain was tidy and one noticed far higher levels of litter when travelling abroad in some countries.

Nowadays, it seems to me that we have by far the biggest litter problem in Europe. Every roadside verge along main roads is strewn with litter thrown from cars. I see far less of that overseas.

Litter everywhere is something I associate with the 70s (although mostly from pictures, I was too young to remember much from that time), but it seemed to be reducing. Now that trend has sadly reversed. I don't know whether it's simply more people, more people who don't care, or just it's easier for them to get around and for everyone to see the mess they make, but nothing will really get solved unless it's somehow possible to change their attitudes.

One thing I firmly believe doesn't help is anything that discourages people to think for themselves. Yes, in the short term that leaves the scum even worse, but I'm convinced you get more of them if people are expecting to be told what to do constantly so never really get the opportunity for any self-responsibility. To make it habit-forming it needs to start young, in schools if the family won't, maybe even pre-school; adults are mostly going to be a lost cause sadly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2020 at 10:11, chris p bacon said:

About 15 or so years ago I did a job at Hitchin McDonalds putting their back/service doors on. Parked just a few spaces away were 4 younger people in a car eating their food. When they'd finished eating they all got out of the car to smoke and then got back in, the car started and the windows went down and all the rubbish came out of the windows. I shouted at them to pick it up but got verbal from the driver. I was absolutely incensed and I think they knew I wasn't going to back down so the driver tried to make a hasty exit from the car park. The problem they had was that the driver got it wrong and had to go the long way past the drive thru windows. In the mean time I calmly picked up the rubbish which included a 2 half containers of coke and strawberry shake and waited at the exit road. As the car approached I let the windscreen have the shake which slowed it and the remainder inc the coke went through the side windows and gave the hardest kick I could to the drivers door. The car sped off with some screaming coming from the inside and I turned around to see half a dozen people staring at me, after a few seconds one of them said 'well done' but I was rather embarrassed and went back to the doors. 

I expected the manager to ask me to leave but he wasn't fussed and said he was sick of the mess that just a few customers made, he did say I ought not to make a habit of attacking his customers though..... 

So it was you that ruined my upholstery.....

• Funny 4