• RMweb Gold

Splendid stuff Alex. 

A quick question.......or two..

How fine is the spray from the Halfords Matt aerosol ? 

Did you use any weathering powders on the models before spraying it

I would look to use it to seal weathering powders. If the Varnish is too thick a spray, its too wet and the colours of the weathering powders are lost.  I currently use Humbrol Matt Acrylic Varnish but it can be tricky to source. Dullcote did not work for me. 

I'd welcome your thoughts. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Splendid stuff Alex. 

A quick question.......or two..

How fine is the spray from the Halfords Matt aerosol ? 

Did you use any weathering powders on the models before spraying it

I would look to use it to seal weathering powders. If the Varnish is too thick a spray, its too wet and the colours of the weathering powders are lost.  I currently use Humbrol Matt Acrylic Varnish but it can be tricky to source. Dullcote did not work for me. 

I'd welcome your thoughts. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob,

I never actually use any matt varnish aerosols, preferring to airbrush mine. I have used Humbrol matt spray cans in the past but with generally poor results. This new VMS Supplies Varnish I'm using however can be brushed on with the same effect as airbrushing as it requires a wet coat that is able to then self-level. I would say it's probably not ideal to use to seal weathering powders if you aren't airbrushing it as obviously it would just move it around as you're painting it on. 

In terms of aerosol matt varnishes, I've had superb results in the past with the non-aerosol versions of both Tamiya acrylic and Mr Color lacquer varnishes when airbrushed, both of which are available in spray can form so they would be my recommendations. This stuff especially or this stuff if you want a bit more protection

Cheers

Edited by Locksley
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alex. 

I'm clearly addled this morning, thinking you had sprayed the B4 with Halfords Matt. Doh!

They are delightful little models though. 

I can see more Varnish research is called for.

Rob  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

What a difference, Alex. 

Do they come as individual plates or as a sheet ?

I only ask as I have three B4s to sort out. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

What a difference, Alex. 

Do they come as individual plates or as a sheet ?

I only ask as I have three B4s to sort out. 

Rob. 

Cheers Rob! I used this set but didn't use the cabside numbers as the stock ones are fine. If you have a few B4s to do it might be worth dropping @railtec-models a quick msg and maybe see if he'd do you just the smokebox gubbins :) 

• 4 months later...

Late to the party, but I really like the idea of painting up the two wagon sides differently. That really works on an Inglenook puzzle, giving "twice the bang for the buck" and letting two eras be modelled with the same set of stock.

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah, that first outing for a new layout. Actually, it is usually an invaluable trip.
It's good that it was a low-key sort of event too - you wouldn't want its' premier exhibition to be a huge exhibition, with hoards of onlookers. This way, you can learn those invaluable lessons as to what needs "tweaking" or modifying. So you probably made a wise decision to take Garnswllt to your club event first.

I know many people feel that a simple Inglenook could get boring to operate for a whole show - but I find that time usually goes far more quickly than you'd anticipate. Chatting to exhibition goers can be enjoyable and rewarding. As you say, some swapping of stock can also help add interest and make things more interesting for operators too.

This layout is superb, and despite being a simple design, it oozes atmosphere, and demands attention and observance of details. As you say, a backscene might lend it even more a sense of "place". If it were my layout, I think I'd be tempted to place a screen in front of the fiddle - just to add a sense that the train is going "somewhere", and to hide those stock swapping moments. Perhaps I'd even be tempted not to use the ubiquitous over-bridge to conceal the exit - maybe just a couple of trees, or the end of a building?

Anyhow, that's no criticism by the way - just a thought (I do have a few, now & then! lol). Superb sir, just superb :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1