Heljan spares

Has anyone tried getting Heljan spares since they were taken over by Gaugemaster ?

I can't even understand the way GM list them ! 

I am glad I managed to get a small supply from Howes before they stopped selling them....

It is difficult as not everything has pics and you have to go by the reference and also try to bring down the parts list by if it is 00 gauge or 0 gauge. Ekm exhibitions have the right idea a description of the item along with class or loco its from a system perhaps they look at.

• RMweb Premium

I found it easy to use and intuitive.

go to spares page

open pdf for chosen model

get part number from diagram

open spares price list pdf

scroll down to chosen scale/model

read across columns

part number/barcode/price availability

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I must admit it does take a little time to get familiar with Gaugemasters' system, but the part relevance is quite simple when you break it down, for example:

HN-OO-ACBUS-014 = HN (Heljan), 00 (00 guage), ACBUS (AC railbus), 014 (part number)

Though it is badly listed with 1002, 00 guage spares to sift through until you find the one youre looking for, I guess until they get a better system in place, grab a cuppa or preferred beverage as youre going to be there a while!

NL

The prices on the plastic parts have gone up, since you are paying for the part not the whole sprue.  That said, diesel axle wheel sets are only 2 pounds, that makes them less expensive than the four and six axle sets that Howes sold.  Gaugemaster has asked the factory for wheel sets, currently unavailable.

Well thank you for your answers chaps,  I don't really need to bother with them anymore, because I can make the parts I need usually. It just made it easier getting the bits from Howes.   

Rob 

• RMweb Gold

if all else fails there’s a good supply of 26/27/33 chassis out there for £36.

many of their spares are adjustable/transferable.

If the spares situation turns bad, you will find the supply of knackers will increase on ebay.., obviously bad for Heljan reputation to have an increase of crank cases in bargain trays as it leads to brand devaluation. Comparatively very few Heljan knackers have ended up on ebay (Certain models excepted),  as they are very easy to self repair and the spares were cheap, buying a sprue is less risky than each individual part.. you may break a second piece which is spare on the sprue, people have difficulties with spares lists and lead times increase if the wrong spare / extras are required, all which reduces the experience and increases the reluctance.

But as times change, so does circumstance, people will dump them if repairing them becomes less straight forwards, even if it’s just down to admin processes making it more complicated, but it’s bargain opportunities for others who don’t mind boneyarding (which admittedly many of us do).

• Like 1