DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

12 minutes ago, PMP said:

I'm not sure that’s quite right, if I might offer an alternative perspective.

How Dave Jones sees himself ....

992FB9D3-D25C-4A39-B034-2F96100B4110.jpeg.baa825fdd385a46a05616d22e3d763cb.jpeg

How other people see him .....

992FB9D3-D25C-4A39-B034-2F96100B4110.jpeg.baa825fdd385a46a05616d22e3d763cb.jpeg

And a good reason why we should not be going over all this again, as he loves attention just like this other one.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

Perhaps it's finally time to press the Delete key on this whole unsavoury episode (including deleting this entire section of the forum).  I personally hope I don't accidentally bump into him on my travels as I might be tempted to give him a "Kirkby" kiss! (don't ask).

A "Kirkby Kiss" Dixie? Now there is a good idea. Don't mind if I join you for old times sake? Quite APT, I would add.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

So did KR Models buy the King and Shark directly from the factory?

Indeed looking at this did DJM actually own anything?

I still hope somewhere the Class 17 may yet emerge from the ashes of this sorry mess.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Indeed looking at this did DJM actually own anything?

I seem to remember this being discussed at the time the business failed. Some felt that basically DJM was just a vehicle for project management and cash handling. Except that Dave Jones wasn't that good at managing projects or handling cash.

It's a bit like someone I know who fancies themselves as a  bit of a DJ (the musical sort). They've not actually got any vinyl or decks, but they do have a Spotify subscription.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

I still hope somewhere the Class 17 may yet emerge from the ashes of this sorry mess.

I haven't summoned up the motivation to find the thread myself, but was the Class 17 one of 'his' designs DJM (or maybe Dave Jones personally...) was claiming some sort of IPR on, in that last 'stream of consciousness' press release / rant on his site?

Edited by spamcan61

• RMweb Premium

I think it was one of those he thought he owned the tooling etc of but it turned out he didn't and they actually belonged to the factory.

I got the impression he failed to read the small print in a contract somewhere.

This would explain why the Class 17 after a visit by Dave to China suddenly went from almost here to postponed indefinitely amid one of his thinly disguised sessions of teddy tossing.

That was when I began to suspect the ship was starting to sink...

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Just to comply with social distancing, make sure they are over two metres in length. ;)

The pitch fork mob won't know what metres are.

You'll have to tell them six and a half foot

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Hadn't he already tried and failed the 'one man band' route with N'thusiast resprays though, which didn't end well I recall.

Yes indeed that is correct.

He may have exceeded the average of 5 years to fail but the extra 2 years allowed the failure to be bigger. I very much doubt the business was ever going to succeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I do hope - though I think it a forlorn hope - that none of those members who shouted the praises of DJM from the housetops, when he left Dapol and started to announce his own products, are now decrying him so vociferously.

I seem to recall an atmosphere of almost religious frenzy here at the time - when anyone daring to sound a note of caution was condemned outright as a destructive and faithless doubter!

Yours cynically,

John Isherwood.

Not me guv, I'd decided  he was temperamentally unsuited to working with Far Eastern companies back in 2011.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The figger quoted may be larger. dave jones has  never hand over any deatilas of people who payed deposits . There are people who nevr knew he went under . There are people who never lodged a claim.
When the liquideaters found out from Rm web about all the people that had paid deposists they ask dave for deatils which he never passed on. The true figger of the money owed will never be know due to the questionable pratices of DJ models. Sadley a lot of people have lost money and he done a lot of damage to the model railway world
john

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Not me guv, I'd decided  he was temperamentally unsuited to working with Far Eastern companies back in 2011.

I see that in that post you recommended a book for Dave to read.

I also offered this book as reading material in the Class 92 thread. It's a very interesting insight.

post-31758-0-14136400-1543845096.jpg

If only I wasn't so wrong in my opening paragraphs.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we're still seeing the dead hand of DJ in Dapol releases such as the Class 121 which were announced when he was still involved in the design work. It's a terrible

bit of over-fiddly engineering which doesn't work properly. Mine's self-destructed, others have had to remove one half of the gear train to get it to run realistically or

for the motor not to overheat. Looks good, runs like a dog ... ring any bells?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

And these figures don't include the £250 deposits that many people paid for the APT, or any other deposits people may have paid for other models.

You can't make that assertion as there is no breakdown of the unsecured creditors.

• Agree 3

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

Theres a number of people who we know are not included in the final figures.

Well you should have said 'some of' the £250 deposits; your assertion intimated that none of the £250 deposits were in the figures - you have no means of knowing that as the information has not been given by the liquidators.

Think before posting please.

Like I've said, this new DJ thread is just picking the scab of the old wound - nothing new to add to the discussion:

• There was no money left
  • People are out of pocket
  • Liquidator is out of pocket

But we've got to go over it all again and now throw in some not so casual racism to the mix.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Mel_H said:

From another site

DJModels liquidation claims were £174K

Big snip....

Development work had progressed from a June 2018 laser scan of the surviving vehicles at Crewe Heritage Centre, to an initial CAD drawing of the driving car and an early 3D test print of it, before the company, owned by Dave Jones, ran out of cash on 4 June 2020.

...... big snip

According to that report today is the day the company runs out of money. 
I know this virus thingy has stretched time but .......

• Like 2