DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

It has been available for 3.5 years, which is not very long in my view.

Hattons would be mugs to do another batch with the same chassis design,

Hmm. Sorry, I slightly disagree.

The common view is that the mechanics of the model (both Austerity & 14xx ) had pretty poor chassis design.  Had the decision been taken to create a more robust design, then perhaps this sort of discussion wouldn't be taking place. 

To tag the word 'mugs' is, in this case, a little premature.

I'm sure we shall see. 

• Agree 1

There are an awful lot of issues over the way Company Administration works in the UK at the moment with no proper checks on the identity of officers and shareholders.

A recent case in the local press involved a director who was disqualified but had still been able to set up another company

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Half-full said:

Only the chassis/bogie frames, motor and gear train could be used, the 74's bogies and underframe equipment were quite different from the 71

Agreed.

On a locomotive the Big costs are the chassis / drive train... the rest of it is similar to a coach / wagon. That’s why it’s a ray of hope for a 74... or put differently it’s the only real use for it.

• RMweb Gold

On the issues with the running qualities of the locos like the J94 - is it an issue with the design or because If I remember correctly Dave was insisting on using coreless motors or a combination of the 2? Just curious I don't have any of the locos mentioned.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Markwj said:

On the issues with the running qualities of the locos like the J94 - is it an issue with the design or because If I remember correctly Dave was insisting on using coreless motors or a combination of the 2? Just curious I don't have any of the locos mentioned.

Ive got 4, they all work.

If you turn them upside down, many have been known to sharpen knives on their wheels.

My only complaint is they are a bit light weight.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Markwj said:

It’s due to a poorly engineered chassis. The concept is ok if you apply quality engineering to it, (DJM didn’t) european and a good few N gauge models use this type of geared chassis. Review below.

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2016/09/15/djm-j94-setting-higher-standards/

A subsequent attempt to get it running better, also unsuccessful. It still sits on the shelf of doom waiting for an RT chassis. At the time I’d had six through, it’s now nine. All eight of which exhibited the same poor running, and one real black museum piece which has never turned a driven wheel in anger. Some people know exactly why!

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/?s=Removals&submit=Search

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, PMP said:

It’s due to a poorly engineered chassis. The concept is ok if you apply quality engineering to it, (DJM didn’t) european and a good few N gauge models use this type of geared chassis. Review below.

A subsequent attempt to get it running better, also unsuccessful. It still sits on the shelf of doom waiting for an RT chassis. At the time I’d had six through, it’s now nine. All eight of which exhibited the same poor running, and one real black museum piece which has never turned a driven wheel in anger. Some people know exactly why!

The geared drive chassis for steam outline models is a typical (common?) Chinese model railway manufacturing method and unless a client specifies something different it is what most Chinese designers will go for - presumably because it has production cost advantages.  The problem with it is that it requires careful design, the right materials, and close manufacturing control to ensure that it works properly and that often means the overseas customer has to carefully control all stages of the process and make sure that they are very careful with their initial spec and hold the factory to it.

Rapido hit problems, which they eventually sorted, with their Hudson because of this kind of mechanism and,  as PMP has mentioned already, if it is properly designed and engineered it will work - just look under more than a few diesel outline models.

Incidentally as far as the Hattons 48/58/14XX is concerned I reckon it could make a smashing body kit - after all the tooling exists so it would just be a matter of packaging the sprues which would be much cheaper than factory assembly  and providing some decent instructions.   I suspect a market would be there provided someone were to provide a complementary chassis or chassis kit to go with it.  That might give the best of both worlds?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, PMP said:

9 examples? Wow! Were you on a bonus scheme?

I did wonder about helical gears in the geartrain. Cogging is removed, as the gears are more-or-less in constant mesh.  As I posted earlier, I do have a 14xx chassis to play with at some point.

Ian. 

Edited by tomparryharry
Text clean-up.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

9 examples? Wow! Were you on a bonus scheme?

Only joking, mind!

Ian. 

Nope, I bought my example and quickly found its limitations. The retailer asked me to look at his stock, (six if I recall), based on my findings with the same results. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipy7Zn4N5kY

A friend bought his across to try on my layouts (same results), and the final one donated by a friend in the trade. The J94 thread has plenty of discussion on the entire model. 

The retailer still has stock...

Edited by PMP
Add link
  • Friendly/supportive 2

We still have an original DJM J94 EP that DJ gave to us. I think it’s in the (s)crap box. We were thinking of donating it to the Museum of Science and Technology. Just concerned they might send it back and us having to pay the postage.

At the time l raised my concern re coreless motors as we had had issues with them in R.C drones. He explained that this was another way of, what was the term? “Raising the bar”. Any sort of knock and the motor had to be replaced. I don’t know what improvements have been made since then to be fair.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, PMP said:

Nope, I bought my example and quickly found its limitations. The retailer asked me to look at his stock, (six if I recall), based on my findings with the same results. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipy7Zn4N5kY

A friend bought his across to try on my layouts (same results), and the final one donated by a friend in the trade. The J94 thread has plenty of discussion on the entire model. 

The retailer still has stock...

Which retailer?

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Incidentally as far as the Hattons 48/58/14XX is concerned I reckon it could make a smashing body kit - after all the tooling exists so it would just be a matter of packaging the sprues which would be much cheaper than factory assembly  and providing some decent instructions.   I suspect a market would be there provided someone were to provide a complementary chassis or chassis kit to go with it.  That might give the best of both worlds?

RT models do a J94 chassis, High Level & Comet/Wizard both do a 14xx. I accept that neither is specifically aimed at the DJ body, but can be altered to fit reasonably easily.

The question is, are the enough 'modellers' who would go down this route to actually make it viable? I agree the costs are different when paying for a run of something for which tooling exists, but even so a lot of people (examples up thread of those who prefer the Hornby J94 as it actually runs well every time, rather than the DJ model which is far more accurate in body shape & detailing terms).

I'm not aiming to be derogatory to those who would use RTR and have no intention of building chassis' - this is a broad church and we should all do what we actually enjoy in our spare time! But the sales for RTR and sales for kits are in completely different leagues.

• RMweb Gold

I get the feeling from some of his ramblings just before administration that he fully blames the Chinese factories for the demise of his business and not his own complete lack of business sense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I get the feeling from some of his ramblings just before administration that he fully blames the Chinese factories for the demise of his business and not his own complete lack of business sense.

It's been a constant theme throughout the sorry saga, every setback was somebody else's fault. Nothing to do with his lack of business sense or having completely the wrong temperament to be dealing with Fat Eastern suppliers apparently.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 8

45 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

It's been a constant theme thought the sorry saga, every setback was somebody else's fault. Nothing to do with his lack of business sense or having completely the wrong temperament to be dealing with Fat Eastern suppliers apparently.

Was he OK with the thin ones?

Ducks quickly for cover...

Edited by Roy L S
  • Funny 13