DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, -missy- said:

That has always intrigued me. Can anyone shed any light on that statement he made? I have never found anything related to it.

M.

Missy, Nothing to verify it at all. No records of it anywhere or the competition announced, or reported in any of the printed media of the time. Being a similar age I’ve asked friends in other genres of the modelling hobby (mil/air/sea/car), and none recall it either.  I found it odd that at the time the statement was made, only a few queried it. It will of course be in the No10 diaries in the national archives if Maggie took time off fighting the argies, to award Dave his medal.

B0787960-3659-472A-A112-18E3CD653E59.png

Edited by PMP
Spelling/ add link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, -missy- said:

That has always intrigued me. Can anyone shed any light on that statement he made? I have never found anything related to it.

M.

Dave Jones claimed to have won this award. As stated, Margaret Thatcher took time out from the events of the Falkland War to award young Dave this prize. One of the many doubtful claims he made. I think it may have been on his website.

Edited by BR Blue
Spelling as usual.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Combining these traits I received a pearler via email* back in 2017...

Quote (from Dave)

Can you do me a favour please? I dont have internet access* or I'd post myself. Am currently on holiday in the Caribbean visiting amongst others Cuba, Mexico, Grand Cayman, 

Grand Cayman?

Maybe setting up an offshore account?

I wonder if that's where my £30 is?

• Funny 9

If any good can come out of this, maybe it could be a recognition that not every awkward or unwelcome question is intended to troll, and not every critic is simply being, as Dave liked to call them, a "naysayer"?

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I wonder if that's where my £30 is?

Now you mention it...

Can you do me a favour please? I dont have internet access* or I'd post myself. Am currently on holiday in the Caribbean visiting amongst others Cuba, Mexico, Grand Cayman

It sounds a bit like the time my long-lost Nigerian uncle mislaid his passport and needed me to wire him a monkey.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold

Even though I lost money on one of his ventures, I'm finding this thread quite entertaining. I must admit that if he was in the same room as me and somebody pointed him out, I'd ignore the tw@t.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

He was either taking the piss, or he genuinely believed that it happened.

You decide.

Dave     5,041

Posted September 9, 2013

In 1982 the then incumbent prime minister ( at that time Margaret Thatcher) decided to offer a cup to encourage model making by under 18's.

This was a competition of under 18's producing models for a panel of judges to vote in at the International Model Exhibition, which was, at the time, held at Stoke Mandeville Stadium near Aylesbury and was the biggest 1 day model exhibition in the world.

Anyway, the models could be of anything, and mine was a layout and engine shed of continental outline in 1:160 scale.

Much to my surprise I won the first year and was presented with a shield by the late great Roy Kinnear at the show.

A few weeks later I was formally presented with the cup by Mrs Thatcher herself in the Blue room of No.10 Downing Street with my parents and then girlfriend present. The layout was also taken into No.10 and set up for the PM to view.

The press were present and afterwards I was sent a pack of A4 photographs of the presentation and the PM's list of engagements for the day (which featured my name on) as a keepsake.

After the presentation Mrs Thatcher then insisted we were all given a guided tour of No.10 (all rooms except private residence) by Ian Murray, who I believe, was her press secretary at the time.

This included full access to the cabinet meeting room and permission to go "past the columns" which is usually a 'no go' and walk round the cabinet table.

The trophy was awarded yearly since then I believe, until the show finished in the late 90's, having moved to RAF Halton and getting much bigger.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't the supposed show organised by his Father ?

I note the claim 

9 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

and was the biggest 1 day model exhibition in the world.

Much like the taunted   'Award winning' he often touted,  forgetting the rest of those at Dapol who had actually earned it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

The way I look at it the longer this thread is, and the more his name is mentioned, the more chance there is that future Googlers may find it before investing in his next venture. It may confuse those researching early David Bowie or The Monkees but nevermind.

And we are sure there is nothing to worry about if his name is mentioned three times is a row???

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

And we are sure there is nothing to worry about if his name is mentioned three times is a row???

'Dodgy Dave' 'Dodgy Dave' 'Dodgy Dave'

[Waits for response]

No, I think we are all right...

• RMweb Gold

He said that the competition ran for a few years so their must be other winners somewhere?

I never knew Roy Kinnear was a spokesperson for the government either!

Could Margaret thatcher have been a secret railway modeller?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Could Margaret thatcher have been a secret railway modeller?

Only in terms of deconstruction. 

TBH though, I can’t imagine Maggie giving a stuff about encouraging modelling, among the under 18s or anyone else for that matter. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Ah but he has proof that the  modeling award at No.10 happened thanks to those A4 photos. Anyone seen them?

Fancy having to move around in all those exotic places due to hurricanes. The guy really cannot get a break. 

• Agree 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Much like the taunted   'Award winning' he often touted,

The word is normally 'vaunted' but I think you're closer to the mark.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Ah but he has proof that the  modeling award at No.10 happened thanks to those A4 photos. Anyone seen them?

Fancy having to move around in all those exotic places due to hurricanes. The guy really cannot get a break. 

The photos are in the folder with the other pictures of him with Einstein, Churchill, Mandela, Cassius Clay, John Kennedy et Al!

Mike.

• Funny 12

This thread is brilliant, very funny, unlike DodgyDaves business skills. Dodging a hurricane while spending others money must be very stressful, especially while trying to setup a new bank account. Perhaps that is why he went of to the Galapagos Islands for a well earned rest, hurricane stress.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The photos are in the folder with the other pictures of him with Einstein, Churchill, Mandela, Cassius Clay, John Kennedy et Al!

Mike.

You forgot Lord Lucan and Shergar.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:
17 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

You forgot Lord Lucan and Shergar.

...and Bernie Madoff?

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

[quoting Dave Jones] "After the presentation Mrs Thatcher then insisted we were all given a guided tour of No.10 (all rooms except private residence) by Ian Murray, who I believe, was her press secretary at the time."

Bernard Ingham was her only press secretary. Doesn't mean the memory is entirely false, without further research I have no idea how many deputies Bernard had, or whether the recollection of the job is wrong.

image.png.644d46a70270c7456f63c8028cce3e3d.png

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_Street_Press_Secretary#List_of_Press_Secretaries)

The name Ian Murray is difficult to search online, owing to Ian Murray  MP (born 1979) filling the search results.

By the way, the Thatcher papers for 1982 are available online, and avoiding doing proper work I've searched them and found no mention of day to day appointments such as modelling awards. Sadly, 1982 was a year dominated by the Falklands, so the focus is elsewhere.

Edited by DavidH
  • Like 4

On 06/06/2020 at 12:16, AY Mod said:

You are not able to make that assertion as there is no public evidence for it. My understanding ... Source: DJ in conversation with me. 

... My understanding is that the sums owing related to subsequent development projects. 

Dave said to me he never made any profit from the J94 due to cost overruns and exchange rate impacts.

Given the last few pages here, are you absolutely certain about the truth of what you were told? ;)

Edited by DavidH
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, DavidH said:

Given the last few pages here, are you absolutely certain about the truth of what you were told? ;)

I'd say Andy is absolutely certain of what he was told.....whether it was the truth is another matter ..

• Agree 7
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I'd say Andy is absolutely certain of what he was told.....whether it was the truth is another matter ..

You beat me to it! I've got a long list of stuff 'said'.

• Like 6
  • Funny 2