DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

I am led to believe that he did win the Thatcher Individual Trophy.

There was some doubt cast during the Theory part of the  competition when someone wrote an answer "Don't Know" and the person who was sat next to them (no names but you may guess) had written "Neither Do I". But they couldn't prove any evidence of cheating :-)

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

His one success was leading the Lambs to slaughter, ie, people sending him money for projects

that never saw the light of day. I intensely disliked the " Hi Mate " in replies to questions.  That's no

way to address people you don't know. But, this may have led some people into thinking that DJ

was becoming a personal friend, and producing a model just for them. Gaining peoples confidence

in the early stages of his ' projects ' was something he was extremely good at.

A good read of the class 92 thread, from how it starts out, to how it ends up is very revealing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidH said:

By the way, the Thatcher papers for 1982 are available online, and avoiding doing proper work I've searched them and found no mention of day to day appointments such as modelling awards. Sadly, 1982 was a year dominated by the Falklands, so the focus is elsewhere.

I’m not sure the hard copy ‘appointment diary’ is on line. I believe there’s a Household standard appointment diary used by staff etc so they knew who was coming and the times. My understanding is this is at Kew. If correct, somewhere there’s going to be an entry for ‘Modellers Award’ with fifteen minutes? at the least set aside for this.

What is surprising is that none of the contemporary media ran the story.

Railway Modeller
Model Railway Constructor

Model Railway News

Scale Trains

MilItary Modelling

Scale Modelling

Model Engineering 

Presumably no national or local papers ran the story either. 

Not only that, how did a modeller enter the competition? The mags above were the staple diet for the hobby. With no interweb, how was this ‘National‘ competition advertised?
If you’re mid to late fifties your age bracket puts you in the frame for eligibility to enter. Why don’t  you or similar aged mates recall this prestigious competition. Note there was a plastic modelling show IPMS style, around the time, that was held at RAF Halton, but that was military modelling, and likely covered in MM/SM above.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, PMP said:

[...] Why don’t you or similar aged mates recall this prestigious competition.

We've been here before, haven't we? Not only that, but no one managed to come up with the name of an organiser of (or helper at) said exhibition to corroborate the story.

I guess the more detail given in an account, the less likely people are to investigate. Especially given the sort of people modellers are - an absence of facts tends to get some people immediately digging for more information, just out of interest.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

I intensely disliked the " Hi Mate " in replies to questions.  That's no

way to address people you don't know. But, this may have led some people into thinking that DJ

was becoming a personal friend, and producing a model just for them.

This is still seen on other threads, it soon turns into anyone with a question becoming a detractor and to be pounced on. I don't think it's intentional elsewhere but I do think that DJM expolited this human trait to his benefit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

2 hours ago, DavidH said:

Bernard Ingham was her only press secretary. Doesn't mean the memory is entirely false, without further research I have no idea how many deputies Bernard had, or whether the recollection of the job is wrong.

image.png.644d46a70270c7456f63c8028cce3e3d.png

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_Street_Press_Secretary#List_of_Press_Secretaries)

The name Ian Murray is difficult to search online, owing to Ian Murray  MP (born 1979) filling the search results.

By the way, the Thatcher papers for 1982 are available online, and avoiding doing proper work I've searched them and found no mention of day to day appointments such as modelling awards. Sadly, 1982 was a year dominated by the Falklands, so the focus is elsewhere.

I was lucky enough to be given a tour of 10 Downing St last April.  My host is one of many, many people who work in the building.  I can't remember the exact figure of those working in the building but it is not insignificant.  (a perk of their job is that one weekend in x they can apply to take guests around - an interesting tour rather like a National Trust property and clearly heavily used.  eg worn carpets).  Whilst numbers working there will have increased since 1982, there still would have been a fair few back then.  Incidentally in those days, there wouldn't have been a gate at the end of Downing St so anyone could walk up to the front door and take their photo. I doubt someone as senior as Ingham would do a tour of a working day so perfectly possible a junior official existed.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

I intensely disliked the " Hi Mate " in replies to questions.  That's no

was becoming a personal friend,

Some people must have been feeling really lonely.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

Evidence of another nice holiday (although the zenpholio  online album referred  to is no longer available) 

https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80675

Was that his trip to investigate the possibility of using factories in India (i.e. a 'business trip') ?  I recall him posting at some time that he had been visiting various factories in India to see if they could be used instead of China.

• Agree 2

The business class flights must have cost a bit.

Mention of the J94 reminds me that a friend bought one and has had no problems with it, so perhaps the difficulties were batch related?

In my case I ordered a Clayton (N) about two months or so before they crashed.  I spoke to a lady who gave every impression of working there, but perhaps was Dave's partner?  However, she didn't take any bank card details and I think said that I would be called back for those.  Nothing ever happened, which suggested to me (later) that the business was being run a bit haphazardly.  I wonder if my case was isolated or other sales were going astray?   

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Nice to travel business class on hols

Indeed, just noticed that, there's a few King deposits right there. Heck even most businesses (including the multi billion dollar turnover ones I've worked for) don't fly business most of the time.

• Agree 3

No one on this page (including the linked post by Heyfordian/Dave on the airshows forum) has said he travelled business class - merely Stationmaster's comment that it might have been a 'business trip'. If this was the reason for the trip, he would have only claimed the business part of the trip as expenses. Indeed on the airshows forum he calls it a holiday.

2 hours ago, PMP said:

Not only that, how did a modeller enter the competition? The mags above were the staple diet for the hobby. With no interweb, how was this ‘National‘ competition advertised?

I've just noticed that you first queried this "cup" in 2013, and your original comment appears to have been deleted, just leaving the tell-tale of someone's reply and then Dave's explanation as above. Did you delete your question?

(Sorry everyone for flooding this thread with multiple posts. You know how it is: you make a comment, then people quote you, and you end up going back despite having other things to do!)

Edited by DavidH

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, DavidH said:

No one on this page (including the linked post by Heyfordian/Dave on the airshows forum) has said he travelled business class - merely Stationmaster's comment that it might have been a 'business trip'. If this was the reason for the trip, he would have only claimed the business part of the trip as expenses. Indeed on the airshows forum he calls it a holiday.

At the time of the 'holiday' DJM was looking at manufacturing in India. 

Also note that the source of income for him was from crowdfunding.

: Dave does India, part 1 ( no pics.........yet)

Post by HeyfordDave111 » Tue 03 May 2016, 12:24 pm

Agreed, rookie mistake.

What's worse is that no one can find the suitcase, no one will suggest what I do now or even offer to help in and way small or large. And I travelled business class too. 

I cannot recommend leaving Etihad and Jet Airways alone, highly enough right now, they are a disgrace.

Got to love Russianhardware

This is on top of trips to China which were made (he claimed) to 'get answers' over problems,  when other manufacturers didn't feel the need to visit.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ryde-on-time said:

Evidence of another nice holiday (although the zenpholio  online album referred  to is no longer available) 

He was also in Marakesh in March/April this year, judging by another thread. Can't afford medicines, hasn't paid for his Zenfolio site, yet nice little holidays to Africa, Asia and America in the last few years... 

Someone I know knew DJ many years ago when he was a member of their club, and said he didn't trust him back then either. DJ organised a club trip to the Severn Valley Railway and collected payment from everyone. Treasurer got a call a few weeks afterwards asking why they haven't paid the SVR for their trip. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, DavidH said:

No one on this page (including the linked post by Heyfordian/Dave on the airshows forum) has said he travelled business class

Form the horse's mouth:-

image.png.292b2cc810251fa1bd67f3dc81b28fc8.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The photos are in the folder with the other pictures of him with Einstein, Churchill, Mandela, Cassius Clay, John Kennedy et Al!

I dont want to start any conspiracy theories here but did Oswald shoot the wrong man?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• Moderators
On 10/06/2020 at 13:49, Steamport Southport said:

I bet this will get deleted as well.

OK; here's your post I removed.

Funny thing is that is something that is quite possibly true. I mean the meeting Maggie bit.

Bring in fifty different kids who have "won" something "worthy". Take a photograph, couple of minutes with each one and it's all done and dusted in an afternoon with the pictures in the local press.

When I was at school in the 1980s they were always doing things like that as we were always getting put forward to do them. Seemed a way of getting impoverished kids to better themselves by doing something arty. Before they slung you on a YTS doing painting and decorating because you can use a paint brush.

Normally daft ideas sponsored by the likes of Radio One or BBC TV programmes like Swap Shop. Usually involving people like Jimmy Saville or Rolf Harris for some reason....

Still happens now but it's normally one of the minor royals and an anonymous Blue Peter presenter instead.

It was removed because it had nothing to do with what was being discussed; laced with political jibes and throw in references to paedophiles, what did you expect to happen to it man?

Don't try and paint anyone else as the villain.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Ryde-on-time said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the DJ Models APT stood for 'Aeroplane Photography Tours' in this instance....

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14