DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

33 minutes ago, DavidH said:

No one on this page (including the linked post by Heyfordian/Dave on the airshows forum) has said he travelled business class - merely Stationmaster's comment that it might have been a 'business trip'. If this was the reason for the trip, he would have only claimed the business part of the trip as expenses. Indeed on the airshows forum he calls it a holiday.

I've just noticed that you first queried this "cup" in 2013, and your original comment appears to have been deleted, just leaving the tell-tale of someone's reply and then Dave's explanation as above. Did you delete your question?

(Sorry everyone for flooding this thread with multiple posts. You know how it is: you make a comment, then people quote you, and you end up going back despite having other things to do!)

He quotes he does in his post and Ethiad lost his luggage including his long lens

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

At the time of the 'holiday' DJM was looking at manufacturing in India. 

Also note that the source of income for him was from crowdfunding.

This is on top of trips to China which were made (he claimed) to 'get answers' over problems,  when other manufacturers didn't feel the need to visit.

There is a luggage carousel going around, and around, and around.......

Inside contains a brand-new 4mm APT, in full working order.  

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

This is on top of trips to China which were made (he claimed) to 'get answers' over problems,  when other manufacturers didn't feel the need to visit.

He definitely dealt with his Chinese suppliers differently to other manufactures. For instance other manufacturers paid their Chinese suppliers.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 8

18 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

He quotes he does in his post and Ethiad lost his luggage including his long lens

My thanks to all who pointed it out - I missed that detail. See, one can't even trust oneself to get the facts right!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the DJ Models APT stood for 'Aeroplane Photography Tours' in this instance....

Andy

Comment of the year lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidH said:

I've just noticed that you first queried this "cup" in 2013, and your original comment appears to have been deleted, just leaving the tell-tale of someone's reply and then Dave's explanation as above. Did you delete your question?

Yep I did. You’re obvs a similar enquiring mindset to my own! A few years back I got particularly fed up with the forum for various reasons, some of which are still extant, but they’re not for here. I decided to delete posts and leave the forum, having a reasonable number of posts this took quite a while... Some of them were utterly irrelevant, others unfortunately actually useful.

Anyway, a change of heart occurred after speaking to a few friends and people connected with the forum. I stopped that process but reduced participation significantly in the forum. Retrospectively, not the brightest idea I’ve ever had, (the deletions), and why my total post number won’t reflect the actual posts that can be seen on forum.

3,2,1, And back in the room with....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

There is a luggage carousel going around, and around, and around.......

Inside contains a brand-new 4mm APT, in full working order.  

Don't you mean several versions in 5, 7, 9 and 14 cars

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Margaret Thatcher. Dave Jones.

Are we touching on the real reason the APT project was cancelled?  ;)

Postscript.

Perhaps when Maggie cancelled her crowdfunded APT model, a misunderstanding arose and the prototype got cancelled instead. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 10/06/2020 at 18:24, Colin_McLeod said:

Postscript.

Perhaps when Maggie cancelled her crowdfunded APT model, a misunderstanding arose and the prototype got cancelled instead. ;)

I knew this crowdfunding model APT seemed to be taking a long time, but I did not realize we were now reaching 40 years. Do we know if Maggie got a refund when she cancelled?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

For amusement I have been rereading the infamous 1st May 2019 announcement thread.

What was amazing was how quickly it grew to double figures pages in a matter of hours and how universally condemning it was with one or two DJM Apologists occasionally popping up.

My reaction at the time, once I had read the now sadly no longer available diatribe of codswallop at least three times was to cancel all my preorders with a retailer for DJM products even though he was still running at the time.

Last week I disposed of my last DJM items I owned, even though I have a suitable modelling scenario to run them in as I just don't want anything tainted with his name.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

27 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Last week I disposed of my last DJM items I owned, even though I have a suitable modelling scenario to run them in as I just don't want anything tainted with his name.

But RMWeb still features some of his posts so presumably is also “tainted”...?

;)

Paul

Edited by Fenman
Autoboobs

On 10/06/2020 at 17:24, Colin_McLeod said:

Postscript.

Rather like the time that some lackey of Stalin's misunderstood why he'd scribbled at the bottom of a list of political prisoners, and had them all shot.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I guess I am very, very lucky, my J94 runs beautifully and really looks the part. On the strength of that, if DJM had announced a future project that lay in my sphere of interest, I would have parted with some cash..............but he didn't..PHEW!!!:biggrin_mini2:

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

You could model it with just the feet sticking out of a harbour on the end of a crane winch....

In the process of removing the statue for placement in a model museum so that in can be seen with some commentary to "provide context?"

I wonder what the words would say?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 10/06/2020 at 11:20, PMP said:

I’m not sure the hard copy ‘appointment diary’ is on line. I believe there’s a Household standard appointment diary used by staff etc so they knew who was coming and the times. My understanding is this is at Kew. If correct, somewhere there’s going to be an entry for ‘Modellers Award’ with fifteen minutes? at the least set aside for this.

What is surprising is that none of the contemporary media ran the story.

Railway Modeller
Model Railway Constructor

Model Railway News

Scale Trains

MilItary Modelling

Scale Modelling

Model Engineering 

Presumably no national or local papers ran the story either. 

Not only that, how did a modeller enter the competition? The mags above were the staple diet for the hobby. With no interweb, how was this ‘National‘ competition advertised?
If you’re mid to late fifties your age bracket puts you in the frame for eligibility to enter. Why don’t  you or similar aged mates recall this prestigious competition. Note there was a plastic modelling show IPMS style, around the time, that was held at RAF Halton, but that was military modelling, and likely covered in MM/SM above.

IMHO, although we are talking about 1982, I would expect railway modelling sage Chris Leigh aka "Dibber 25" to have  remembered the Prime Minister's cup event.  Perhaps not actually the event, moreso from a "trade press" happening.  I mean, it is not everyday, that your favourite hobby's profile is raised to such an extent.

All very strange really, but I do hope we can collectively get to the bottom of it.    

• RMweb Gold

The award is a complete nonsense like other claims he made when he was starting DJM. I know for a fact that a successful wagon he claimed he was responsible for had none of his input as the project re-started without him. The initial work he did was sub standard and rejected. The project was redone from scratch yet he still tried to take credit.

Edited by BR Blue
Spelling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Covkid said:

2 hours ago, Covkid said:

All very strange really, but I do hope we can collectively get to the bottom of it.    

How do you get to the bottom of a complete work of fiction? In the Walter Mitty world of DJM perhaps but not in the reality of this world. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Covkid said:

IMHO, although we are talking about 1982, I would expect railway modelling sage Chris Leigh aka "Dibber 25" to have  remembered the Prime Minister's cup event.  Perhaps not actually the event, moreso from a "trade press" happening.  I mean, it is not everyday, that your favourite hobby's profile is raised to such an extent.

54 minutes ago, Persephone said:

How do you get to the bottom of a complete work of fiction? In the Walter Mitty world of DJM perhaps but not in the reality of this world. 

why
whats the point?

it wont change anything.

• Agree 2