DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

why
whats the point?

it wont change anything.

Well it might. After the resprays a lot of us who knew how brown it had gone thought surely he can't fool people again. He did.

Perhaps if he resurfaces, or a similar claim is made by a new entrant, pointing out that it may be worth a cursory check before parting with money, might save someone some money. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PMP said:

Well it might. After the resprays a lot of us who knew how brown it had gone thought surely he can't fool people again. He did.

Perhaps if he resurfaces, or a similar claim is made by a new entrant, pointing out that it may be worth a cursory check before parting with money, might save someone some money. 

So what about the Austerity-Class 17-APT model I have in front of me, then?

Limited edition, mind...... Also available in 2,4, & 7mm  scales....

Just send your funds to "Mr Smith's Cayman Island Relocation Fund".  No small denomination coins, please...... Oh! Hang on! Yes! Small coins as well.....

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Just send your funds to "Mr Smith's Cayman Island Relocation Fund".  No small denomination coins, please...... Oh! Hang on! Yes! Small coins as well.....

Don't forget to send them business class too....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Don't forget to send them business class too....

Oh yes. Each & every model has it's own seat.  In the Home Counties area, the model is delivered by the State Coach, complete with liveried attendants, and a little van to pick up the horse poo.....

• Funny 5

Guest Half-full

So what about the Austerity-Class 17-APT model I have in front of me, then?

Limited edition, mind...... Also available in 2,4, & 7mm  scales....

Im saving up for the Dave Jones Commemorative Solid Gold Chocolate Coin, minted to reflect his winning of the 'Best Modeller In The World Ever! FACT' award, and my guaranteed tour of the White House by Julius Ceasar for being in the first 10 people to sign up for it. 

Bargain for 3 installments of US $1000, to be paid all at once in cash, risk free.   Easy to sign up too, quick letter with the cash, my bank details, passport number and date of birth sent to his new office address in Nigeria.  As soon as the letter is received, I'll get my Coin, along with a free 21-car  APT in N, OO, O and Gauge 1, personally delivered to me by Ghenghis Khan.

Why cant more manufacturers be like this, instead of telling us lies about delivery dates???

Best regards,

D.  Luded

Edited by Half-full

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Im saving up for the Dave Jones Commemorative Solid Gold Chocolate Coin, minted to reflect his winning of the 'Best Modeller In The World Ever! FACT' award, and my guaranteed tour of the White House by Julius Ceasar for being in the first 10 people to sign up for it. 

Bargain for 3 installments of £1000, to be paid all at once in cash, risk free.   Easy to sign up too, quick letter with the cash, my bank details, passport number and date of birth sent to his new office address in Nigeria.  As soon as the letter is received, I'll get my Coin, along with a free 21-car  APT in N, OO, O and Gauge 1, personally delivered to me by Ghenghis Khan.

Why cant more manufacturers be like this, instead of telling us lies about delivery dates???

Best regards,

D.  Luded

Dear D. Luded,

Unfortunately, our Commemorative Solid Gold Chocolate Chocolate Coin offer has been over-subscribed.  However, you can partake of our latest  triple- plated offer, where our delightful assistant, Cleopatra, can give you the needle. Our highly experienced sales manager, Tut, has just opened up a new scheme to involve Pyramid Selling.

Our tour guides, Messrs Kahn & Caesar, are unable to show people around the White House, but there is a tour around the Brown House*.

* Seating is strictly limited.

Your continued support (& funds) is extremely important to you!

Phaery D'-ust  

Edited by tomparryharry
Yes.
  • Funny 11

Guest Half-full
14 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Dear D. Luded,

Unfortunately, our Commemorative Solid Gold Chocolate Chocolate Coin offer has been over-subscribed.  However, you can partake of our latest  triple- plated offer, where our delightful assistant, Cleopatra, can give you the needle. Our highly experienced sales manager, Tut, has just opened up a new scheme to involve Pyramid Selling.

Our tour guides, Messrs Kahn & Caesar, are unable to show people around the White House, but there is a tour around the Brown House*.

* Seating is strictly limited.

Your continued support (& funds) is extremely important to you!

I. Rony.  

Oh thats a shame, he had told me I was the first person to sign up as well, I guess he must have had a little mix up, not surprising given the amount of people who would be interested in that fantastic product.

Im not sure the triple-plated offer fits in with my plans, so I'll just ask for a refund, he has after all guaranteed that any refunds due to over subscription will be repaid instantly by his good friends who run PayPal, and to soften the blow of disappointment, I'll receive a free Baby Deltic in HO Scale, specially air freighted to me.

Top bloke all-round

Edited by Half-full

• RMweb Gold

Dear D. Luded,

Due to Conn-Vidd 18, our sister company, Polly Pal are in Quarantine in our Seychelles Office. We will, of course, refund your pittance at the first available opportunity. Subject, of course, to the tax structure in force. To summarise:- 

Air fare tax (twice)

Landing tax ( outside the bathroom).

Breathing Tax.

Going into the kitchen for coffee tax.

Biscuit tax.

Chocolate biscuit super tax. 

Being nice to your granny tax. 

As you can see, taxation in this day & age is quite prohibitive, but we can, of course, forward your second-class stamp to anywhere you wish*

*Postage rate due. 

I trust you will continue to use our services, and look out for our latest product, which is a crowd-funded lens cap. 

Have we told you about our new camera bag? It's totally unique! It's got my name & address on the inside......

• Funny 7

Guest Half-full

Dear D. Luded,

Due to Conn-Vidd 18, our sister company, Polly Pal are in Quarantine in our Seychelles Office. We will, of course, refund your pittance at the first available opportunity. Subject, of course, to the tax structure in force. To summarise:- 

Air fare tax (twice)

Landing tax ( outside the bathroom).

Breathing Tax.

Going into the kitchen for coffee tax.

Biscuit tax.

Chocolate biscuit super tax. 

Being nice to your granny tax. 

As you can see, taxation in this day & age is quite prohibitive, but we can, of course, forward your second-class stamp to anywhere you wish*

*Postage rate due. 

I trust you will continue to use our services, and look out for our latest product, which is a crowd-funded lens cap. 

Have we told you about our new camera bag? It's totally unique! It's got my name & address on the inside......

Hmmm, I'm starting to get doubts now.

Surely he cant be doing anything untowards?  I've built up a great relationship with him over 2 emails, he refers to me as his mate.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Hmmm, I'm starting to get doubts now.

Surely he cant be doing anything untowards?  I've built up a great relationship with him over 2 emails, he refers to me as his mate.

That reminds of an old saying  'You can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time'.  Maybe 'somebody' thought it was worth a try?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PMP said:

I didn’t know anything about the resprays , I’m not sure many did and it might have been useful to folks to have known this  . I think if he resurfaces then a factual posting of the resprays  and the liquidation of DJ would assist people to make judgements . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, PMP said:

i think you live in too much hope, that you imply this was his second time around the circuit suggests people didn't learn from the first time.

As for a 3rd time...

I doubt given how high profile DJModels was, that forgive and forget would be so easy if there was a “next” time.

That said if there was a “next” time it might not be “railway” modelling either, other hobbies are out there.

its all over bar the shouting for this one.

• Agree 1

Guest Half-full
2 minutes ago, Legend said:

I didn’t know anything about the resprays , I’m not sure many did and it might have been useful to folks to have known this  . I think if he resurfaces then a factual posting of the resprays  and the liquidation of DJ would assist people to make judgements . 

I was at his stand at an exhibition yonks ago when he was doing the resprays, a chap next to me was asking about the paints used and if they were railmatch or precision, his reply was along the lines of "I use what I have in stock, and will try get a close match"

I walked away then.  I remember all the stock on the stand not being for sale - display only

Guest Half-full
5 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

It was flagged at the time but shouted down. 

I mentioned it on the N Gauge Forum and the post was deleted

6 minutes ago, Half-full said:

I mentioned it on the N Gauge Forum and the post was deleted

They're like that though. I had several innocuous posts* deleted by them over the years.

When I had the temerity to question one of the mod's about one of them. I was told the decision was final and they didn't need to tell me why I'd been deleted. So I left them to it. 

*As in not even slightly controversial, I posted the self-same post on two other fora and they didn't raise any objections, no dissent from the other users. It was a mild criticism of one of the bigger manufacturers delivery times, from product announcement to able to buy and get one delivered.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, GeoffAlan said:

When I had the temerity to question one of the mod's about one of them. I was told the decision was final and they didn't need to tell me why I'd been deleted.

Ahh, the old “no further correspondence will be entered into”, as favoured by the logic bankrupt. It’s a classic. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

i think you live in too much hope, that you imply this was his second time around the circuit suggests people didn't learn from the first time.

As for a 3rd time...

I doubt given how high profile DJModels was, that forgive and forget would be so easy if there was a “next” time.

That said if there was a “next” time it might not be “railway” modelling either, other hobbies are out there.

its all over bar the shouting for this one.

I’m not implying, stating fact. The same Dave Jones previously ran a respray company which just stopped, leaving customers, and I believe some suppliers out of pocket.

As @Wheatley mentioned any mention of this was restricted, as well as shouted down by the foaming fanboys.

The next time might not be toy trains. However on a google search his name and this DJM debacle come up regularly and with a high ranking. So these discussions could thankfully give a heads up to any future victims of his ‘unconventional’ business practices.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, John M Upton said:

You could model it with just the feet sticking out of a harbour on the end of a crane winch....

Hmmm... giving us ideas in case he re-surfaces again. No need to make a statue though.

• RMweb Premium

The next time might not be toy trains. However on a google search his name and this DJM debacle come up regularly and with a high ranking. So these discussions could thankfully give a heads up to any future victims of his ‘unconventional’ business practices.

Of course that will only work for those connected to the online world and IT savvy enough to do some background research before they open their wallets.  There are still an admittedly diminishing number who still do things with letters and cheques, their only contact being the glossy advert in the Railway Modeler that lures them in.

Indeed there may still be a few poor souls out there blissfully unaware that their money has disappeared into a big black hole and are still anticipating the arrival of their King/APT/whatever...  The coverage of the DJM meltdown and subsequent collapse has not really been banner headlines in the mags that I have seen.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I can’t imagine any of the major mags would run an advert from him or a news story without the line Dave Jones to restart business in railway modelling despite previous business failing and owing a shedload of money!

I think more likely if he wanted to get back into the model railway business he would be in the background with someone else as the frontman.

Hopefully no one would be daft enough to be that frontman!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Flagged without any mention of the tesprays, so not really flagged. 

Except for those that mentioned the respray. So, ‘flagged’ really.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, BR Blue said:

The award is a complete nonsense like other claims he made when he was starting DJM. I know for a fact that a successful wagon he claimed he was responsible for had none of his input as the project re-started without him. The initial work he did was sub standard and rejected. The project was redone from scratch yet he still tried to take credit.

This sounds like a lot of people I have "connected" to on my LinkedIn. We had a temp contractor once claiming on there that he was a finance director at our company and even my old line manager makes a bold claim about being responsible for completely migrating from one email system to another. Meanwhile, 4 years later I'm still having to keep an old, out of support system running because it has a business critical app on it that got descoped from the migration (too difficult and costly to move) so his project came in "on time, on budget".

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7