DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The coverage of the DJM meltdown and subsequent collapse has not really been banner headlines in the mags that I have seen.

So, hardly serving (the less internet-savvy portion of) their readership then!

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Quite the contrary. They deserve each other.

I meant it ironically!!!! Can you imagine the train wreck that would be!

Edited by Amand
Type
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Amand said:

Let's hope he doesn't get a job with Coopercraft!

44 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Quite the contrary. They deserve each other.

7 minutes ago, Amand said:

I'd buy a ticket!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• Administrators
4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The coverage of the DJM meltdown and subsequent collapse has not really been banner headlines in the mags that I have seen.

That would be because they are magazines and not newspapers. None do banner headlines for news as a general rule - but most mentioned it on their news pages but even then coverage will be limited to the facts that can be proven. There are still libel laws which apply to paper publications. Yes, someone could spend many thousands of pounds trying to get to the bottom of everything but it won't sell any more magazines.

I doubt many readers knew who DJM were anyway. I'm constantly surprised how little product knowledge is shown in Facebook posts. He might have made waves on here, but that's not really representative of the wider population.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

That would be because they are magazines and not newspapers. None do banner headlines for news as a general rule - but most mentioned it on their news pages but even then coverage will be limited to the facts that can be proven. There are still libel laws which apply to paper publications. Yes, someone could spend many thousands of pounds trying to get to the bottom of everything but it won't sell any more magazines.

I doubt many readers knew who DJM were anyway. I'm constantly surprised how little product knowledge is shown in Facebook posts. He might have made waves on here, but that's not really representative of the wider population.

I wouldn't expect investigative journalism or doorstep interviews, but, given the amount of page space dedicated to announcements of his various schemes over the years, then perhaps a quarter page dedicated to a general overview of people's options with regard to trying to get their money back would have been useful IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Guest Half-full
18 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Its quite surprising how many folk who buy model railways who have never heard of Bachmann or Dapol, never mind all the smaller suppliers.  Or those who have heard of them but rubbish them because its not Hornby.  

Overheard at the Preston exhibition this year when a chap was asking if a trader had any Hornby Class 73s, trader explained that they didnt but did have Dapol ones, the chap said "Im not buy any of that Chinese rubbish" and walked off.  The trader, a few other folk at the stand and I had a right good laugh

Guest Half-full
31 minutes ago, Amand said:

DJ's trains are already wrecks!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

... I'm constantly surprised how little product knowledge is shown in Facebook posts...

I hope you don't mind Phil.

:)

Kev.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Flagged without any mention of the tesprays, so not really flagged. 

Nope, it was flagged. The company was called N'thusiast Resprays and has been mentioned many times on RMweb and other forums. But I guess being restricted and concerning only N gauge the majority of OO modellers probably were unaware and/or didn't bother to check it out further.

• Agree 7

• Administrators
3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I wouldn't expect investigative journalism or doorstep interviews, but, given the amount of page space dedicated to announcements of his various schemes over the years, then perhaps a quarter page dedicated to a general overview of people's options with regard to trying to get their money back would have been useful IMHO.

We are 15 pages in to a discussion on a dead parrot firm. A quarter page wouldn't do the job and would be followed by endless arguments that someone's view hadn't been properly represented. And that's before you have people, as has happened on another DJM thread, suggesting the press should be liable for some of the lost money because they reported his announcements. It's a no win situation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

57 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

We are 15 pages in to a discussion on a dead parrot firm. A quarter page wouldn't do the job and would be followed by endless arguments that someone's view hadn't been properly represented. And that's before you have people, as has happened on another DJM thread, suggesting the press should be liable for some of the lost money because they reported his announcements. It's a no win situation.

Happy to say I haven't heard that one. Shoot the messenger, eh? (CJL)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Nope, it was flagged. The company was called N'thusiast Resprays and has been mentioned many times on RMweb and other forums. But I guess being restricted and concerning only N gauge the majority of OO modellers probably were unaware and/or didn't bother to check it out further.

Flagging properly would have meant something on a DJM OO and N threads along the lines of "before spending your money have a read about Dave Jones's venture called N'thusiast resprays and how it went belly up."

There was no proper flagging along those lines and no reason for an OO modeller to make any link between Dj Models and N'thusiast resprays unless it was specifically pointed out.

All we got were comments like  "I don't pay for anything until I've read positive reviews" much too subtle to be seen as flagging the problem.

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

suggesting the press should be liable for some of the lost money because they reported his announcements. It's a no win situation.

AFAIK, that wasn't the point being made:

9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Indeed there may still be a few poor souls out there blissfully unaware that their money has disappeared into a big black hole and are still anticipating the arrival of their King/APT/whatever...  The coverage of the DJM meltdown and subsequent collapse has not really been banner headlines in the mags that I have seen.

More a point of communication than liability. Banner headlines aside.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

All we got were comments like  "I don't pay for anything until I've read positive reviews" much too subtle to be seen as flagging the problem.

There are also comments about people loosing money with Dave Jones when he ran N'thusiast Resprays. I don't think they were particularly subtle.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Any links? I may have to eat humble pie if I can be convinced.

I have only ever read about DJM on this forum. 

My over-riding impression was anyone giving any sort of warning was shouted down and accused of having an agenda (as if having previous isnt a good enough reason to flag something!).

I found it interesting that when it went belly up the mods immediately put out a warning against people saying I told you so. That surely recognises a lot had?

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I have only ever read about DJM on this forum. 

My over-riding impression was anyone giving any sort of warning was shouted down and accused of having an agenda (as if having previous isnt a good enough reason to flag something!).

I found it interesting that when it went belly up the mods immediately put out a warning against people saying I told you so. That surely recognises a lot had?

I've just seen a 15 page thread on TINGS similar format to what started here (the startup of dj models) lots interest...but some caution about n thusiast respray and people who have waited months for things etc etc... but it does reference a specific thread on rmweb by a customer of n thusiast resprays which talked about major issues he had and not to go near him....but it was removed assumingly to prevent potential legal issues.

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

And that's before you have people, as has happened on another DJM thread, suggesting the press should be liable for some of the lost money because they reported his announcements. It's a no win situation.

It's the way society is going. It's all me, me, me and everything is everyone else's fault. It's a long dive down to the lowest common denominator.

• Agree 5