DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

Guest Half-full
6 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Just wastching the interviews with Hornby and Bachmann for this weekends virtual exhibition and wondered when the time was right (we have put out the flaming torches and the pitchforks are back in the barns) whether an interview with DJ would be possible. Maybe Piers Morgan would do it but where did it go wrong, why did you not call time sooner etc could all be explored?

Just a thought and probably an unwelcome one- sorry!

Please put away the alcohol

33 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

No need, I can write the underlying answer to all questions.

"I did everything perfectly, but the whole world conspired to screw me over in every way possible".

I'm sorry...are you quoting DJ Trump or DJ Models? :jester:

• Funny 10

10 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

...are you quoting DJ Trump or DJ Models? 

I wouldn't dare to enter or comment in any way upon any matters relating to "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America" not being a citizen of that splendid Republic.

I have been known to buy RTR model railway products...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I'm sorry...are you quoting DJ Trump or DJ Models? :jester:

There are a lot of similarities!

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Just to think...

If DJModels had survived another 12 months...

it could have all been blamed on Covid...

He would have had something to say about covid, but it would be something that he hoped he could tell us in a couple of weeks via a grand announcement.  There would also be some inside information that he knew about covid but wanted to keep under his hat to protect his source

• Funny 5

21 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Just to think...

If DJModels had survived another 12 months...

it could have all been blamed on Covid...

I'd guess it'd be something else he would blame on a Chinese factory.......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

On 14/06/2020 at 22:37, Willie Whizz said:

Recent posts again illustrate the blurring between 'crowdfunding' and 'deposits'.  Not least in Dave Jones's mind, but also in the minds of many prospective purchasers who believed at the outset they were just putting down a deposit to secure one of a limited number of a specific variant of a model that was going to be produced anyway, rather than - in effect -  "investing" in the business with the particular model as your "return".

This is something people need to be very wary of in future - especially if the description changes part-way through the process.  If it's crowdfunding, it should clearly say so at the very outset; if it changes part-way through, ask for your money back while you still can.

I don't think there was any 'blurring'. I remembered something in the 92 thread, and have found this which I think is what stayed in my mind. 

- - - -

On 13/08/2016 at 22:48, James Makin said: 

Hi Dave,

Forgive me if it's a silly question - is the money invested at stages 1 and 2 protected and repayable should the worst happen and the model doesn't make it to stage 3 please?

I saw your note about the credit card insurance but wondered aside from individuals chasing Visa/MC/Amex etc if there was a crowdfunding safeguard that automatically pays out if the project gets cancelled further down the line? 

Many thanks!

James

Hi James,

Whether you are kick starting or crowdfunding, once the money is spent, it's spent!

The company or individual can, however, try to mitigate against subsequent customer loss, but I would imagine it would be difficult as the funds are used for paying various stages of development of said project.

What I'm doing is only taking credit card payments as that protects you, plus only asking for smaller 'chunks' of monies to fund these projects in 3 stages.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

- - - -

To my mind there are no illusions as to how DJM saw the instalments in this instance. You were not paying a returnable deposit, you were in effect paying for all the design and development costs upfront. 

I am wondering how many people actually realised this, or understood the implications? 

Using payment by credit card as the only form of insurance does seem rather unprofessional.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

He would have had something to say about covid, but it would be something that he hoped he could tell us in a couple of weeks via a grand announcement.  There would also be some inside information that he knew about covid but wanted to keep under his hat to protect his source

A crowdfunded vaccine perhaps. ;)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

A crowdfunded vaccine perhaps. ;)

With a load of promises that it'll be available by the end of the year. Oh, hang on.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

With a load of promises that it'll be available by the end of the year. Oh, hang on.

Provided the factory don't let him down and there's a ship available because shipping has been very difficult recently (despite the considerable surplus container shifting capacity between China and Europe) andoif course the exchange rate has changed so I'll need an extra tenner on top of what you've already paid.

PS Is there going to be an 'air bridge' to the Galapagos Islands?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

As Tom Lehrer said when Henry Kissenger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize while the Vietnam War was still in progress, "Satire is dead".

• Like 4

@phil gollin, if you don't like this thread, do feel free to ignore it.

The moderators will moderate as they see fit. I'm sure they don't need the self-appointed thread police to tell them what to do.

Edit: we need a nee-naw emoji

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12

18 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

All it does is continue insults and questionable "jokes".

Some of the jokes are on par with those on the jokes thread, but this thread does also contain useful information such as that only posted yesterday by Jonny777. And there is a sensible discussion about the differences between 'refundable deposits' and 'crowdfunding stage payments/contributions'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

33 minutes ago, truffy said:

The moderators will moderate as they see fit. I'm sure they don't need the self-appointed thread police to tell them what to do.

Hi.

Aren't moderators just self appointed thread police?

M.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Everyone here is free to, (has an obligation, right, duty to), bring to the attention of the Moderators any rude, offensive and/or libelous material.

The problem is, everyone has different levels, (or tolerances of), of what rude, offensive and/or libelous material actually is.

I guess Phil is just saying what he thinks is right - just like the rest of us do on occasion.

There is no way I am going to defend anything DJM did but there were times when I was concerned for his mental well being.

Other than that proviso, I think he deserves everything that's been thrown at him (metaphysically speaking).

Kev.

(Edit to change the name to Phil.)

Edited by SHMD

7 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I guess Grahame is just saying what he thinks is right - just like the rest of us do on occasion.

Not really. I didn't say or imply anything was right or wrong just that I find the 'jokes' on a par with others elsewhere and that I consider some of the posts interesting and informative. That is not to assert or think what I say is right but is rather how I feel about those things.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, grahame said:

Not really. I didn't say or imply anything was right or wrong just that I find the 'jokes' on a par with others elsewhere and that I consider some of the posts interesting and informative. That is not to assert or think what I say is right but is rather how I feel about those things.

Ah! - Sorry Grahame. I meant Phil

Doh!

Kev.

(Now edited.)