DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

Whatever is wrong with Skegness, surely it can't be that bad

that it's permanently associated with DJM!

Would you want to be permanently associated with DJM???

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I'm still waiting for the oft-promised book...

The Clayton Job

Catch 92

Gone in 60 promises

On the origins of intellectual property

The curious incident of the Mk5s in the nighttime

Margaret Thatcher, my part in her downfall.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

The Clayton Job

Catch 92

Gone in 60 promises

You overlooked the most anticipated volume in the series: Shadows of the APT

(yes, it's a thing)

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I could propose some film titles...

How to loose tools and alienate people ?

Austerity and I

71 Hit wonder

Dysons arent forever

From China without luck

Who’s tool is it anyway ?

A tilt too far

The Good, The Bad and I didnt announce a class 70.
Back To The Factory part 1 (59)

Back To The Factory part 2 (74)

Back To The Factory part 3 (92)

Carry on Crowdfunding

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Willie Whizz said:

Before you knock Skegness too much, take a look at Mablethorpe just up the coast.  And as for Cleethorpes ... well, I went once, but it was closed ...

Mablethorpe is for people who think Skegness is too posh.

Cleethorpes is for people too stingy to go to Mablethorpe.

I used to work in Lincolnshire....don’t think I dare return.

Dava

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The Clayton Job

Catch 92

Gone in 60 promises

The China Syndrome

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

We keep quiet about the joys of the east coast riviera to keep the riff-raff out.

We don't tell anybody where the good chippies are, or the good beaches, so we keep them for ourselves.

People forget it isn't that long since a trip to Skeggy was about all the folks round here could afford or hope to get to as a destination. A day excursion to Skeggy or Cleethorpes was a genuine treat well into the 50s or 60s.

A run to the seaside to Cleethorpes or Skegness for fish and chips and an ice cream on the beach is still a nice day out now.

Well, when I say now, I don't mean a cloudy day near the end of September in the middle of a pandemic but you get the idea.

So you can keep your "music hall" jokes and humour.

We wouldn't want you lot here anyway, you would spoil it! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

4 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

We keep quiet about the joys of the east coast riviera to keep the riff-raff out.

We don't tell anybody where the good chippies are, or the good beaches, so we keep them for ourselves.

It sounds like the rest of the country prefers to send the riff-raff there to keep them away from the nicer parts of the country.

And oddly enough, the majority of beaches are where the land meets the sea so they're all quite easy to find and a little difficult to disguise and keep secret. Consequently 99.9% of all beaches around the UK are known about, even the good ones.

;-)

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, grahame said:

It sounds like the rest of the country prefers to send the riff-raff there to keep them away from the nicer parts of the country.

And oddly enough, the majority of beaches are where the land meets the sea so they're all quite easy to find and a little difficult to disguise and keep secret. Consequently 99.9% of all beaches around the UK are known about, even the good ones.

;-)

OK, some of the actual towns may not be up to much but we do have lots of nice sand.

We have the sea too but when the tide is out, it is a flipping long way to walk to reach it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, grahame said:

And oddly enough, the majority of beaches are where the land meets the sea so they're all quite easy to find and a little difficult to disguise and keep secret.

Exactly! You just keep going until your feet get wet! :)

• Like 2

On 24/09/2020 at 10:36, The Stationmaster said:

I only went there to take some photos of signals so I never even left the station.  Looks like I had a lucky escape - not even a decent chippy?   Even Castleford had a decent chippy as I found when photographing signals there.

A lot of the beach to the south of the town is actually quite nice. Once you get out of chav waddling distance from the car parks and railway station (about a quarter of a mile) there's miles of empty beaches without an empty chip wrapper in sight. It's just the town and the people in it that isn't nice. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Before you knock Skegness too much, take a look at Mablethorpe just up the coast.  And as for Cleethorpes ... well, I went once, but it was closed ...

Had some great nights out in Cleethorpes when I was stationed at RAF Binbrook.  There were some very "friendly" nurses there...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

A lot of the beach to the south of the town is actually quite nice. Once you get out of chav waddling distance from the car parks and railway station (about a quarter of a mile) there's miles of empty beaches without an empty chip wrapper in sight. It's just the town and the people in it that isn't nice. 

That is exactly what I mean. Don't go telling everybody, they will all want to come.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Coming from the area , I've been to Mablethorpe , even quite recently. I admit that it's basically for those who find the pace of life in Skegness rather too fast, but a brisk long walk along the beach and sea defences was invigorating in a melancholy way. In early September late in the afternoon   it was an excellent place to avoid the crowds, and there were certainly chippies and seaside tat-shops open.

i gather the station building at Skegness has been converted into some kind of supermarket or shop, and I would expect there are reasonable chippies in the town, though I don't much care for the one-way system. On the other hand if bucket-and-spade is not quite your thing , I can recommend the nature reserve at Gibraltar Point to the south as a good place for a long walk

On the other hand, Cleethorpes station is the only place that has ever filled me with a burning desire to go to Grimsby...

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

...People forget it isn't that long since a trip to Skeggy was about all the folks round here could afford or hope to get to as a destination. A day excursion to Skeggy or Cleethorpes was a genuine treat well into the 50s or 60s...

Quite so. Living in a prosperous location with full employment, I was the only child in my 'infant' school (current years 1 and 2) who had 'gone abroad' at six years old - twice actually! (This was at a time just before the foreign package tour really took off.) Everyone had been to Spain by the end of primary ed. (year 6)...

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Quite so. Living in a prosperous location with full employment, I was the only child in my 'infant' school (current years 1 and 2) who had 'gone abroad' at six years old - twice actually! (This was at a time just before the foreign package tour really took off.) Everyone had been to Spain by the end of primary ed. (year 6)...

I was in a similar position.

My dad was in the RAF and by the time I was six years old, I had been to Bahrain, where we lived for 2 years and we had been to Aden (which was quite exciting for the wrong reasons) and Kenya for holidays. I remember lying in the hotel bed in Aden and asking Dad "Is that thunder?" and Dad saying, "No son, it is just the distant artillery in the mountains, now go to sleep". We ended up being evacuated on a tank carrying landing craft!

When we settled back in the UK and I went to a "civilian" school, I was the only one who had been abroad.

Apart from his travels abroad when on National Service, my old father in law, now 93, never holidayed any further than Cleethorpes, Mablethorpe and Skegness. He would cycle there, just over 40 miles, to save the rail fare! 

• Like 3