DJ Models: company wound-up and liquidation closed

BR(S)

• RMweb Premium

Sheesh, you lot are making me feel privileged, apart from one year when we went to Cornwall, as far as I can recall we used to go abroad. I recall driving down through France in 1963 in dads brand new Mk1 Cortina, we'd flown or gone by train in previous years. Mind you we usually stayed at my maternal grandparents place in Italy, I grew up spending a month a year playing with the local kids ...

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ravenser said:

<snip/>

On the other hand, Cleethorpes station is the only place that has ever filled me with a burning desire to go to Grimsby...

It's a while since I was last there, but the No2 Refreshment Room at the station always used to be worth a visit.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Eee, you had it privileged. ‘Olidays fer us were spent at t’bottom of garden, wit’ only an empty crisp packet for shelter. But we were ‘appy...and the shiverin’ kept us warm.

them were the days

But when you tell the kids of today, they don’t believe you. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

5 hours ago, truffy said:

Eee, you had it privileged. ‘Olidays fer us were spent at t’bottom of garden, wit’ only an empty crisp packet for shelter. But we were ‘appy...and the shiverin’ kept us warm.

them were the days

But when you tell the kids of today, they don’t believe you. 

You had a garden? How posh! Further up the north east coast it was a back yard with a netty!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2020 at 10:36, The Stationmaster said:

I only went there to take some photos of signals so I never even left the station.  Looks like I had a lucky escape - not even a decent chippy?   Even Castleford had a decent chippy as I found when photographing signals there.

Hi

Not been to Salts then.

Cheers

Paul

When I was a junior doctor in Hull we organised a mess trip to Pleasure Island in Cleethorpes. Mainly an excuse for candy floss, hot dogs and beer

Some of the overseas doctors were clearly thinking ‘we left our homes and families for this.....?’

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

On 28/09/2020 at 22:27, johnofwessex said:

Severn Beach anyone?

Well !

the downs bakery used to be all right for food and years ago my stepson who had dreams of sun kissed golden sands demanded to be taken their........ after climbing over the sea defences he was greeted by the sight of miles of mud flats,.well did have fun but I had to lead him to a stand pipe to hose him down before I would let him back in the car!    Mum glorious Mud !thick and sticky black Mud

cant be bothered to find out what this has to do with DJ Modeld ?

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Graham456 said:

Well !

the downs bakery used to be all right for food and years ago my stepson who had dreams of sun kissed golden sands demanded to be taken their........ after climbing over the sea defences he was greeted by the sight of miles of mud flats,.well did have fun but I had to lead him to a stand pipe to hose him down before I would let him back in the car!    Mum glorious Mud !thick and sticky black Mud

cant be bothered to find out what this has to do with DJ Modeld ?

could be worse....could be spaghetti Jcn beach.....never heard of it.....well you haven't lived....let me post a review of Birminghams most favourite holiday destination I have just read on the web.....

"

People have been telling me that there was a beach under ‘The Gravelly Hill Interchange’ for years, and I seem to remember a newspaper article about it, but I always dismissed it as a bit of an urban myth – until now.

People underestimate Birmingham as a holiday destination, those looking for ‘sex, sand and surf’ especially – but anyone who’s seen the sunrise over Acocks Green on bin day can understand that Birmingham is God’s chosen holiday destination.

From the beauty that is Speedwell Road, to the tangy air around the HP Sauce factory , Birmingham has got something for everyone. It can leave memories that last far longer than Centenary Square’s ‘eternal’ flame.

It wouldn’t be right to begin our journey, by doing anything else than traveling into the belly of the beast via the serpentine structure that is the A38(M), woo! Narrowly avoiding a disastrous trip up the M6, we descended in to the locality, where there are a number of charming local boutiques and ‘beech cafe bars’ and decided to sample the local specialties. After a pint of ‘Ansells Mild’ and a bag of porky puffs, it was time to trek to the golden sands of Birmingham 6.

An intriguing sculpture, of romanesque proportions, columns stretching into the sky, greets us as we take a beautifully designed subterranean walkway towards our quest. An interesting aside is that the structure is said to have been built many years ago by a tribe that had no access to modern technology – so how they constructed such a complex piece of architecture is a mystery. It’s believed that the same ancient civilization was responsible for the constructing a temple, nearby, known as The Doug Ellis Stand – where locals still enact a game not unlike, but bearing only a passing resemblance to, modern day football.

The historically fascinating cave paintings here are another main attraction, who can guess the significance of such pre-historic messages as “Kimberly 4 Wayne 4 EVA”, obviously the work of a pre-modern mind. The primitive scrawlings are said to depict fertility symbols, and rituals. Whilst the hieroglyphics, that seem to say ‘VILLA’, have no meaning to today’s, fully evolved, humans.

There it was, paradise! The golden sands, the lapping crystal-clear waters, the breathtakingly beautiful scaffolding and used condoms floating around the frame of an old bike I carefully made my way, across what is a completely unspoiled dirt track, to the wonderful natural treasure of the beach. I must have made my trip out of season because the beach, which is normally teeming with thrillseekers, was comparatively empty save for a local man who I asked for his memories of the area. I was unfortunately unable to understand his dialect, it sounded like he was asking me if I had ‘ten pence for cup of tea’, but I’m sure that it was his way of telling me to enjoy myself.

With his crys, which sounded like “Piss orf you tight !” still in my ears I set off to find the best place to enjoy the long summer afternoon.

Deciding, to make base camp under this delightful palm tree. I lay down my towel and prepared to catch some rays. The sight of such an affluent tourist caused some interest amongst the locals, at least two men in the traditional dress of the area (a dirty blue overall-like garment) peered out of their portakabin. They serenaded me with a beautiful local hymn “Who Ate All The Pies”, as I settled down to relax in the unspoiled wilderness.

It wasn’t long before I drifted into a peaceful sleep, dreaming of Geoff Horsfield getting his first England cap. Tyres and shopping trolleys made restful splashes in the waterway, as the playful wildlife nibbled at my trainers.

I would fully recommend a trip to this fine beach as part of a longer break in the Brummagem area. Maybe you could combine it with a visit to the One Stop Shopping centre, a charming local bazaar selling Midlands artifacts like ‘3 lighters for a quid’ and lovingly handcrafted porcelain models of Laurel and Hardy (which many people will tell you once stayed at the Barton Arms)."

Edited by pheaton
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

Of course the Birmingham beach has moved around a bit since the Gravelly Interchange days, with Emirates airfreighting several plane loads of sand to Centenary Square and the Bull Ring landing above St. Martins' in more recent years.  The beach huts have been missing since a number of shed load incidents on the M5, M6 and M42.

I was based in Skegness for 4 months in 1990/91 surveying level crossings for BR(E). It was great, largely because my landlady wss a hoot and the various lorry drivers sharing my B&B took 20-something me under their wing and took me with them on their evening beer/snooker excursions. I was supposed to move gradually further inland so after 2 weeks I moved my digs to Sleaford. It was shut. I was back in Skeggy the next evening and stayed there for the duration, just with a longer commute as the work moved gradually west. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 4

On 25/09/2020 at 20:44, Amand said:

Further up the north east coast it was a back yard with a netty!

Luxury!          Said with a Montypythonesque faux Yorks accent.

On 28/09/2020 at 17:29, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's alright for you lot mocking Cleethorpes, some of us have had to live there!

Moike; is there anywhere you haven't lived?  :smile_mini2:

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Moike; is there anywhere you haven't lived?  :smile_mini2:

1 minute ago, durham light infantry said:

That's why he is exiled in Spain. Chucked out of every town in England (he hasn't mentioned anywhere Celtic).

They wouldn't have me and there's nothing there worth climbing the wall for.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

From UK Airshow Review forum, talking about the Blackburn Beverley being sold... 

So we pay via a crowdfunding excercise to move and re assemble the aircraft, so that someone can make money by renting it as an air BnB?

Apart from 'saving' (and i use that word carefully) the aircraft on a field with presumably limited access, what do the crowdfunders get?

It aint exactly Tom Moore is it?

Maybe HeyfordDave111 could give the new owner some tips about crowd funding! 

• Funny 10