Starlingford

Black Marlin

Hello chaps and chapesses

My name's Gavin. I'm a PhD student at Aberdeen Uni, and I'm also an 00-gauge modeller. I've been building a 16' x 10' roundy-roundy layout called Starlingford in my parents' loft for the last few years. Progress is slow, because I'm from Northern Ireland and my parents live there still, so I only get to model when I'm home, which isn't as frequent as I'd like.

The model itself is partially completed, but there are still lots of jobs (some quite major) to do, and the baseboard has just grown further with the addition of a fiddleyard. I'm afraid - and here I wish to hide from the wrath of modellers and enthusiasts far more expert than I - that Starlingford conforms to no particular region or period, and I run trains from whenever or wherever happens to amuse me at the time (in my defence, I don't run wildly different things simultaneously!). The main station, whose nameboards are printed but not yet applied, is called 'Perdido Street', after one of my favourite books. I have a definite preference for the LNER (and would be very interested to learn where I could get replacement transfers to renumber and rebrand a WD 2-8-0 into an O7), so I think the first images I post should feature that fine company...

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

018.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Regards,

Gavin

Thanks, folks, for the welcome!

This is a very rough trackplan (that doesn't incorporate the new fiddleyard, which comes off the bottommost right-hand corner):

ExtremelyRoughTrackplan-1.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality of the drawing, but Xtracad is something of a closed book to me...

Oh, and here are some more pictures lest you think I am partisan about the LNER:

JintyinClonsallagh.jpg

AlbertHallCropped.jpg

43xxPassengerTrain6.jpg

AusterityQuayside1.jpg

N2DriftingThrough.jpg

T91.jpg

Cheers,

Gavin

that looks a lot of fun. Must be a bit frustrating only having a fiddle when you get home ?!

You know, I had to read that twice...

Yes, it's very frustrating. And also peculiarly expensive. You get trapped into this hideous loop of "I wish I could do something on the railway now. Oh well, the new Thompson L1 will look nice on it. Oh no, I've just spent £70. But it'll look good when I get it home. When I'm home, I can work on the railway. I wish I could do something on the railway now. Oh well, the new 12-wheel Pullmans will look nice on it..." (repeat until bankruptcy threatens).

On the other hand, when I am home, I sometimes take serendipitously nice pics, like this one, on which no manipulation of any kind has been performed...

28xxSmoker.jpg

This is the very last smoking 28xx Hattons ever sold. Which makes it, I suspect, among the last made before Hornby got ready with their retooling of the class... Here it is again at Perdido Street Station (at an earlier stage of the station's development) at the head of an 18-wagon rake of 'Ocean' coal wagons:

28xxThroughTrain.jpg

Hope these appeal.:)

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

That's looking good. I really like the scenery and trees. Very nice.

As a frequent visitor to Ireland (both North and South :D ) I find it curious that you're from N.I. yet model British subjects. :lol: Is there a reason for that, like did you used to live in GB; or is it simply just what interests you?

The reason I find that curious, although I don't know a great deal about the railways in Ireland, I have seen some charming stations over in the emerald isle. Great stuff to model, I would have thought (although I'd imagine your locos over there aren't as interesting as what we have here - I could be wrong, of course ;) )

One of the most memorable lines I've traveled on in Ireland is the Dublin to Sligo line. Some of the stations on that line are much the same as they would have been 70 years ago. Stunning.

Are there many modelers like yourself, who model British outline, over in N.I.?

Hi Gavin,

That's looking good. I really like the scenery and trees. Very nice.

As a frequent visitor to Ireland (both North and South :D ) I find it curious that you're from N.I. yet model British subjects. :lol: Is there a reason for that, like did you used to live in GB; or is it simply just what interests you?

The reason I find that curious, although I don't know a great deal about the railways in Ireland, I have seen some charming stations over in the emerald isle. Great stuff to model, I would have thought (although I'd imagine your locos over there aren't as interesting as what we have here - I could be wrong, of course ;) )

One of the most memorable lines I've traveled on in Ireland is the Dublin to Sligo line. Some of the stations on that line are much the same as they would have been 70 years ago. Stunning.

Are there many modelers like yourself, who model British outline, over in N.I.?

Hi Vac

Yes, there are a lot of British outline modellers in NI. The simple reason for this is that British outline stock is what's available RTR. Until the Murphy's Models stuff started emerging a couple of years ago there was very little by way of RTR stock available: a few Lima Class 201 diesels and some repainted coaches and a Sprinter and that was about it. Everything else had to be kit-built, and these tended to come from small suppliers who didn't produce large runs and whose kits were never on sale in shops and therefore depended on word-of-mouth. Additionally, there isn't a huge railway infrastructure in NI - there were (I think) only 3 4-6-0s in the country (not 3 classes; 3 locos!) so there just isn't the opportunity for manufacturers to make large numbers of them. Bachmann have released a Jinty and a mogul (a reliveried Southern N) to cater to the steam market, as both these types were used (in, again, miniscule numbers) in the country.

A more encouraging sign is the Belfast Modelling Shop now commissioning small runs of standard items adapted to local circumstances - one I am quite looking forward to is an Oxford diecast Green Goddess fire engine with anti-riot mesh over the windows, as used during the firemen's strikes during the Troubles. Bachmann is also producing limited numbers of Irish-outline infrastructure in the Scenecraft resin range, most notably an NIR version of their diesel shed.

So, Starlingford is built on the basis of what I could easily obtain, and what I liked the look of, rather than what is local to me. I would love a model of Maedbh, for instance, but to create one would probably involve hacking up a Jubilee and that's both an expensive and uncertain prospect.

In the meantime, here are some diesels...

Hymekthroughthecrossing.jpg

Dutch37Breakdown1.jpg

Intercity2251.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

regards,

Gavin

• 3 months later...

Hello all once again. My word it's been a long time since I last updated this thread! And much has changed (well, alright, not massive amounts, but still, enough to be significant). First of all, o be still my beating heart, it appeared in the 'Readers Layouts' section of BRM in August.

Second of all, I was able to take some time at home and actually get some worrk done...

The largest and most obvious change is the replacement (at long last!) of the 'temporary' blue paper (which went down 2 years ago...) with proper water - in this case, Noch 'Sea Foil' after other, vastly more cunning plans fell through...

D49QuaysideView.jpg

(Hmmm...I really must get round to repainting those fishing boats...)

IMG_0466.jpg

Secondly, a new locomotive has been added to the roster, a fact I blame almost entirely on Tony Wright's rapturous review of same. Mind you, it is a very impressive model...

O4Ocean1.jpg

O4SignalGantry.jpg

(Clearly this pic was taken before the fence was glued down!)

I've also begun construction of the cutting leading up to the double tunnel mouth:

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

TornadoPreservedEmbankments.jpg

And the town is beginning to develop too

TheRedLionTown.jpg

I have more pics, and more detailed information, to come :)

Regards,

Gavin

Tornadoreadytoleave.jpg

• 4 months later...

I really must remember to update this thread more regularly.

Hello everyone. I had had great plans to make progress on Starlingford over Christmas, but, due to ill health in the family, my plans went the way of the best-laid plans of mice and men... Anyway, I did manage to relay the track off the viaduct, where a noticeable dip had had locomotive bogies derailing; and I've been repainting the viaduct itself to lose some of the horrid Hornby plasticiness of same; and there are a couple of new locos that have joined the roster...

Anyway, some videos and some pics for you to enjoy:

A Bachmann K3 annoys some Presier geese on the quayside:

IMG_0898.jpg

A Bachmann 9F simmers in the industrial yard:

IMG_0939.jpg

A Hornby T9 emerges from the tunnel mouth and onto the newly-repainted vaiduct:

IMG_0844.jpg

City of Lancaster, a Christmas present, hauls a 9-coach sleeper train over the suspension bridge while in the background Royal Inniskilling Fusilier leads the night mail over the viaduct:

IMG_0814.jpg

Royal Inniskilling Fusilier, at the head of the mail train, seen mid-stream:

IMG_0787.jpg

More waterfowl investigate the fishing party:

IMG_0797.jpg

And, as the 9F looms in the background, it's clear that cork, hanging basket liner and the repainting of the Hornby viaduct has transformed this scene:

IMG_0923.jpg

I hope you like the pics, everyone; and the videos ought to put a smile on your face for 5 minutes at least!

Thanks chaps,

Gavin

Three things to like about this layout

1. Looks like train playing at it's unpretentious best

2. Long trains

3. Joke after signature

Keep up the posts

Andrew

ps I haven't seen that castle in 30 years Airfix re issue?

Hi George

I'm glad you like the layout! There's still an awful lot of work to be done on it, but it's getting there, and I'm having a great deal of fun along the way. I really do like just playing trains, so having a layout that facilitates that is what I strive for. And one is flattered that one is to be considered 'unpretentious'...! :lol:

As for long trains - yes, I admit that this is something else that I really like. I have something of a bee in my bonnet about train-set trains - to me, Flying Scotsman on 3 coaches just looks wrong. I am very fortunate to have the space that I have, and I don't take it for granted.

As for the joke - I'm glad you like it. I confess it amused me mightily when I thought it up for a newspaper article years ago :)

And finally, the castle is not a reissue but the original! It was my dad's, when he was a boy - all I have done is repaint it and add ivy.

Thanks for taking the time to comment,

Regards,

Gavin

• RMweb Premium

I like what I see here - a layout with no pretention to a specific era or region, it's clearly a run what you like operation, and as such is just as valid as those layouts which are at a sepcific date/era/location. Yours and the more region specific offerings on here prove just how diverse our hobby is, and that there is room for everybody and everything.

I hope to see more of this one on the future, and thanks for posting this thread.

Regards

Stewart

Fantastic layout, and it's given me a few idea's for my layout,

now for a totally off topic question... The white stuff you have in your loft ceiling for insulation, what is it and where is it from?? I'm looking to insulate my loft soon.

• 2 years later...

Yikes. How long has it been? Two-and-a-half years? Goodness. In the wise words of Kermit the Frog: "Time's fun when you're having flies."

So what's changed since I last appeared on here? My personal circumstances, a little: I was a shop assistant in Modelzone in Aberdeen, then the shift supervisor, then the assistant manager...then unemployed. (I start work again on Monday, lest anyone be concerned). I'm still battering away at this thrice-damned PhD. And I have been doing (frankly, too little) modelling of Starlingford. Here, at least, are some nice pictures. I hope you like them.

T9MilkTrainResize.jpg

Class105Resize.jpg

JubileeSwankyTrain.jpg

SandringhamStartingOut.jpg

KingfisherAshResize.jpg

IMG_1971_zpsed84e460.jpg

SouthernShed1.jpg

QuicksilverAsh1.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

P-47Armour.jpg

Tankcolumn.jpg

That ought to be enough to going on with!

Regards,

Gavin

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just found this thread. The work you have done on the layout is fantastic. I fully understand the lack of time on the layout, I too spend most of the year living away from home, though in my case it is my own home!

Look forward to seeing more progress when you get time.

Mike

• 9 months later...

Archived