Stoker - what you say is all very good and relevant.  For an 0-4-0 compensation is surely a necessity to keep all four wheels on the track for continuity, also some considerable weight to help.  In OO there is the wheel-drop problem going through points which is lessened with compensation but still risks reducing pick-up on that side to one wheel.  This problem is lessened in P4 as there is no wheel drop and hopefully continuity throughout.  Gear ratio is another major contributor for good slow running.

I normally model in DC but did dabble with DCC but found it no better for slow running - not what I expected!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We are a distance from the subject here.

Budget muddling is about getting the best with the least financial input.

Whilst it would be nice to have a fully equipped workshop that could produce a chassis with the running perfection of a Swiss watch one also needs the talent to produce such an item.

Smokey Joe is a model for train sets, it is the collector/big boys that have forced the gradual up grade of a very simple locomotive to something more suited to its entry point task of entertaining a 7 y.o. train driver AND the 60something grandfather collector. Removing the Scalextic motor and 25:1 gearing was a good start. But it needs the running qualities of the 0-4-0 pug, Peckett or the DS48 but they come at a very different price point

Yes the motion is dismal but you have to remember the entry point for the model. There are articles on this site on how to fit proper motion to a Smokey Joe chassis but for many this is beyond the pleasure of actually building up a model from simple economically prices units.

Smallbrooke Studios have seen a route to give those that wish to up-scale within a limited space a means to do so. To keep this economic then a reliable chassis is required and so various base level models have been used to give modellers a variety of start points.

Be that a taller cab and smoke stack grafted onto a barely changed donor.

To the full body swap to enable a modeller to produce a believable model.

There is also the option to use the Electrotren running gear under a Smallbrooke Body kit. But here you are looking at spending £50-60 on a loco just to buy the frames and you have for your £100 a nice slow moving model. Smokey Joe frames with slow running gearing can be purchased too but the price point is £10-14 add the body kit and you can almost have two 0-4-0 models for your £100 Electrotren unit. Electrotren is part of the Hornby Empire as is Rivarossi  and Lima and you do not have to dig particularly deep to see how often those Electrotren 0-6-0 frames appear across that span of historic names...

Most of us are talented at some part of the spectrum of modelling and can 'make do' where our abilities get challenged. But we do it at the pocket money point of the modelling scale. Where you have to choose to buy something for the layout or a magazine to read but not both.

Entry level models will inspire some to improve because they can, but we must not forget that we are doing this for pleasure and that comes from actually seeing something you have built, turn a wheel on track you have laid all on a baseboard you have built and set in a landscape of our imaginings.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

What would we describe as "Budget"? I guess it depends on the scale and gauge, and to some it would be different to others. What I certainly do not describe as budget are things that end up with a far higher price tag then if one walked into a model railway shop and bought a similar ready made project. I once read an article in a magazine where the title was something along the lines of "Budget modelling" but the final price for a 4mm scale building was around 4 to 5 times the cost of a factory made building from the Hornby Scaledale range, which led me to think "Do they actually know what they are talking about when they use the word "Budget"?" As my comprehension of what budget means is far removed from theirs. Maybe they were just paid too much? :P They were assembling a lazer cut card building kit which in itself cost way in excess of a Hornby Scaledale model building. Just because the material used happens to be card does not mean it is going to be budget modelling. I would hate to see what the writer of the magazine article thought wasn't budget modelling as my mind boggles. (If I remember correctly the total spend on this little 4mm scale building was £240? And that was nearly 20 years ago). 

To me budget modelling will include the odd kit, but they have to be reasonably priced kits. I do look at the whole picture, so while all in I may spend £75 or a little more on a loco (After obtaining the kit, the donor loco, the glues and the paint etc); though this initial spend will be high, I can then save money by scratchbuilding waggons to go behind it, so the end result saves me money compared to if I had bought everything factory made and ready assembled in the nearest equivalent scale and gauge, as while I model mostly in 7mm scale, as it is narrow gauge, the chassis and wheels etc happen to have come from 00 and H0 sources... So my comparisson of prices is based on comparing to 00 rather then comparing to 0. If I compared to 0 gauge models, I would be modelling on an exceptional budget, even though I feel that these days 0 gauge modellers are getting far better value for money then 00 gauge modellers are as though by nature 0 gauge models will cost more, they are not as high as one may expect when comparing to what is out there in 00 gauge if that makes sense? (And no, I have no 0 gauge. Just 0-16.5. Same scale though. Just 0-16.5 fits in a smaller space).

I mentioned the term "Budget" so I will give an example. Add about 20 to 40 pence to the price of a pair of wheels and that is what I am calling budget in my case. Obviously, if I spend a fortune out on a pair of wheels, the term budget does not apply! 

I believe that the further we go into a monetary recession or collapse, the more we will turn to budget modelling and I feel that our hobbies are an important key to help us turn our minds off the stresses of life around us. (So if there is a financial collapse, where money looses its purchasing power, there is little point in spending ones hard earned money on buying the latest model and stressing oneself out when one can't afford food or to pay the electric bill. It is why I suggest to try some budget modelling now so one stays happy and has a stress free outlet for when things in the outside world go wild. All one needs are a few tools, paints and glue and a few bits and pieces and all going well, one can carry on modelling... But make sure you are well fed and warm etc first).

I believe the early years of modelling where people had to make things are coming back, and I feel that this is not a bad thing. I am not saying it is neccesarily a good thing either, but what I am saying is that it is a good plan to have a different approach now to avoid frustration in the future. Nothing worse then setting ones heart on a beautiful model when the prices are going up and up beyond ones modelling budget! 

I found that when I found myself with periods of no income, as far as the hobby is concerned, at first it was a disaster! But what seemed to be a dead end ended up giving me a freedom that I just did not have before. I changed from 00 to model in 7mm narrow gauge and my whole outlook and approach changed. It was no longer a case of working long hours to pay for the next new model in an addiction to wanting everything! It now became a "If you want it, make it" approach. Almost overnight the addictiveness of "Collecting" was cured. (I did not plan to be a collector as I always intended to run my models, but while I did not have a layout at the time, I happened to end up with a fleet way in excess of my needs when I modelled in 00. But the change of scale where I had to make everything I needed, meant I became far more sensible, and if I felt I had made to much, I was less likely to hoard, because if I did let one go but later found I needed it, I would say to myself "Oh well. I can always make another".  So in that way I was no longer compelled to collect for the sake of collecting if that makes sense?

So back to the topic "Modelling on a budget" and my point is that for some, a change of scale and gauge will give the consistency and approach required to help them in their modelling.

And with that I include a loco I am building for an online friend which has been delayed somewhat as I have had issues using my hands and my focus and concentration... But now I am slowly getting back to things... Two days ago I managed to fit the handrails. A job that has delayed the build for many many months. 

file.php?id=41046&mode=view

It is not finished yet, and is made from using a Smallbrook Studio body kit on a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. 

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 7

I remember some pamphlets that came with Railway Modeller many years ago, I think they were called 'Modelling on a Shoestring' or something similar.  They had various suggestions to use household raw materials like cereal boxes, bean tins, coffee stirrers and the like.  You certainly could save some money and be a bit creative but motors, gearboxes and wheels do cost quite a lot!

• Like 1

I've used several Smallbrook Studio items on my "Midsomer Brevis" O-16.5 layout, which is currently in storage so I can't take any current pictures and don't have any previous ones to hand!  However, the "Thor" locomotive featured in one of my Cakebox Challenge 2018 entries so I've been able to copy one of those photos across.

image.png.a4b57f4d5e3b9dfbce373a0b444f6225.png

the "scene" itself has now been dismantled, but the major components have migrated to Midsomer Brevis as intended. The bridge is DAS on foamboard, the figures cheap ones off ebay, the flat wagon behind the loco consists of coffee stirrers on a Dapol wagon chassis.  The track is a piece of scrap Peco code 100 flexitack with every other sleeper cut out to give it a more "narrowgauge" feel.

As far as the mechanism is concerned, its false economy to use an old Hornby 0-4-0 loco as the donor, ones produced over the past 5 years or so have better running qualities.  While this does notch the price up a little its worth it, and still far cheaper than buying an Electrotren loco for the chassis.

• Like 4

I need to make some name and number plates for the loco next. Then comes the coupling drop bar, the smokebox door handle and touching up the paintwork and shes done.

I like your engine.  I had bought two of these kits when they first came out.  My nephew is building the other one. He has painted it black. 

Regarding the chassis, the main difference is lighter weight pickups and a different internal motor design. I am considering designing and making my own chassis in the future from the Hornby 0-4-0 parts which will include altering the gear ratios for the older locomotives as there is nothing wrong with the older motors or the wheels. They just need taming down a little!

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And now comes making some nameplates and numberplates out of fizzy drinks cans.

file.php?id=41155&mode=view

Which are then painted and once dry they will be cut out and have their raised surfaces removed to display the lettering or numbers etc.  (Ignore the mistakes as it takes a few goes to get the letters right with the machine I use).

file.php?id=41154&mode=view

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

file.php?id=37020&mode=view

I am working on a coach from this. In the past I made a bogie coach from one by giving it a new chassis (Jouef Playcraft shortened flatcar chassis). Chassis it comes with has eight fixed position (Not bogies) rotating flangless wheels for pushalong operation. 

file.php?id=37026&mode=view

But it did require quite a lot of work by opening up doorways and adding depth to the doorframes etc (The coach only has doors on the one side). 

Looking at the coach, it is easier to simply cut the coach body to form two small workmens type coaches each having 3 windows each, so I am working on it. 

If it is a success, I may also alter the bogie coach in the same way. I am not sure yet. We shall see.

The locos themselves have a lovely cast metal bodies and looks ideal as they have future conversion project potential. 

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...

will go back to the coaches again. 

In my spares and everything else collection I had this Jouef Playcraft bogie tanker which would just sit there for many more years if I do not use it.  I had already worked on a lovely Playcraft van with opening doors by changing the couplings, adding stirling weights and new wheels, and I sent it to a new owner who loves it... But this tanker...

file.php?id=41778&mode=view

Well. It shows potential.

So the first job was to dissasemble and disect it and file off any parts I did not need. 

file.php?id=41781&mode=view

Cut it into sections and add DAS modelling clay.

file.php?id=41874&mode=view

file.php?id=41875&mode=view

I also coated the clay with runny superglue while I was working on filing the ends. 

So that is as far as I have got so far...

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Such genius to produce such results from household objects - drawing pins, coffee stirrers, lolly sticks, drinking straws, rusty tins etc. Were you ever a presenter on Blue Peter?

Best wishes

Cam

Edited by CameronL
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 24/02/2021 at 12:26, CameronL said:

Such genius to produce such results from household objects - drawing pins, coffee stirrers, lolly sticks, drinking straws, rusty tins etc. Were you ever a presenter on Blue Peter?

Best wishes

Cam

but there's no latex glue, cornflakes boxes or sticky-back plastic.....    :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Best wishes

Cam

Thanks. Was due to circumstances where 00 gauge started to become out of reach that I made the change. Narrow gauge in 7mm scale is ideal for budget modelling!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Mountain Goat said:

Thanks. Was due to circumstances where 00 gauge started to become out of reach that I made the change. Narrow gauge in 7mm scale is ideal for budget modelling!

There was an old railway-modelling saying that "a coat of paint covers a multitude of tins", we're lucky that we have access to a wider range of modelling media, and that paint still retains its important function!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Best wishes

Cam

I put the laughing smily thing on because you asked if I was a Blue Peter presenter.  No, sorry. I watched it as a child.

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I can sometimes be switching between projects as my mind follows possibilities. Some projects are started just to find out what is feasable or/and possible, and this next one is along those lines...

I am attempting to find out if I can make a new sturdy chassis instead of a flimsy one I bought cheap from a toy and train fair several years ago. 

So far I am in the stage of marking out so I am kinda making it up as I go along... If it does not work I have not lost out. I do not currently know what the end result will be used for as yet! :D We shall see. First see if I can make it work.

file.php?id=42667&mode=view

Yes. I know. Wheels, crank pins and bits and pieces everywhere! :P

And I forgot to say. It was an 0-6-0 and I am planning on making it an 0-4-0 instead.

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You know where you change scale and you end up with lots of stock that no one really wants, so it is either let them go for silly prices, or take drastic action? Uhmmm. Well, this is something along those lines. 

I have a rake of six immaculate boxed never even used Hornby grain wagons, along with a seventh older Triang/Hornby battered version of the same design, so as I was not sure how this was going to work out, I decided to start working on the battered version first.

As a guide, I took out a previous 7mm NG conversion of a battery operated toy trainset bogie wagon (Now a 4 wheeled NG waggon after the conversion) to have an idea of what I wanted this grain wagon to end up looking like. 

file.php?id=42789&mode=view

Then I removed the roof.

file.php?id=42792&mode=view

Eventually after removing anything that reminds me of its former scale, we have a body that looks something like this...

file.php?id=42793&mode=view

And though it is far from finished yet, it shows a promising narrow gauge conversion.

file.php?id=42794&mode=view

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1