Brown railfreight VDAs 1980s - what colour ?

rob D2

Hi folks,

quick question - what colour were these painted please , ( other than filthy )...

was it later bauxite ? I’m guesssing solebars were black .

I have some VDAs I’m respraying - any favoured paint between railmatch acrylic and Phoenix ?

For ones i have painted i have used both bauxite colours both early and late to give variation on the brown as it would weather and get dirty as you say. Don't forget you would still see freight maroon ones into the 80s. 

As for paint types i only use enamel Railmatch or Phoenix.

hope this helps Steve

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

I always thought that the first VDAs were delivered in a maroon livery, which very quickly weathered to something resembling the Freight Brown used on the earlier vans. The last lot were delivered in red and grey livery.

Brian

Which lot do you consider were in red/grey from new? I appear to have the near maroon red finish on all lots of the vans early on.

A very elusive colour - I think when new it is the very late quite bright brown - I have lovely photos of the same colour on HUOs. Perhaps it is a maroon, it is how I've described it https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brvda/e35608512 I'm  not convinced it is maroon but it does come close. It is not the red used on some freight stock - This quite early (1977) photo of an early VDA shows the difference between what modellers call bauxite on the ferry van in the foreground, the red on the Bogie bolster in the distance and the VDA inbetween. This is a newly painted BBA on the same day https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bba/e17fd54cf.

But it is possible all of this is simply perception and the effect of different undercoating and/or different means of application?

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvda

• Informative/Useful 1

The reason I ask, is , I brought several VBA bodies as bargains in EWS livery with the aim of resprays.

thanks to covid I have finally got round to it , so I have at least two to spray.I’ve noticed the flaw in my plan that the VBA underframe isn’t quite the same as the VDA.

Anyway, As below the actual Bachmann one in railfreight , is quite a light brown ! 

503387D2-7E9D-459F-A173-5E8AD2B80D54.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I have been doing a rolling programme of improving the old Farish model with extra weight, new wheels and a decent paint job.

Here are three of them, one in lighter brown, one in darker brown and a red/grey version.

20200605_142341.jpg.3d3d40e0e54d04729a8d9ad88527f8a8.jpg

20200605_142329.jpg.452ea6960b56973a6296a209f88b0849.jpg

20200605_142317.jpg.d2d29620698ab5fd8454d2b1c2f29c64.jpg

Of the two brown (technically bauxite) versions, I prefer the supposedly earlier lighter shade.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I think the Bachmann brown one looks like the older one bit with newer logos.

I’ve ordered Phoenix later bauxite and will try that out, topped off with railtec transfers. It occurred to me I should also do the all white VDA as well.

Serendiptiously a friend has just sent through various BR instructions including one for 12 April 1976

With regard to our modern fleet of wagons these will be painted in maroon with the inscription “Rail Freight” painted on the side.

The same instruction mentions that unfitted stock is to be painted freight red (instead of freight grey). Modellers usually call FR bauxite. Unfitted mineral wagons were still being built at this time - reusing underframes with new bodies.

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Paul, that's useful. So the first VDAs would have been delivered in freight red (bauxite) with later batches in maroon. The 1976 date explains why the one shown in the Rail 150 souvenir guide was in freight red even though it had the boxed style markings. Would I be right in thinking the OBAs were the only new build (as opposed to rebuilds like the BDAs) delivered new in freight maroon?

Sorry Bernard I'm not sure. It is possible the circular was simply repeating an earlier instruction - they tend to do that. It was the description of the colour as maroon which was important to me. I do find it difficult to distinguish colours at this period - and I suspect some on BR did to. This is a very early one, and I think it is maroon https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brvda/e20d78b47

This is one of the colours I cannot explain, again a mid 1977 one, it is the HUO I mentioned earlier. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhopperhuo/e18f65e9d What a colour! I still don't know why Accurascale wouldn't copy it! It fits with the instruction that unfitted wagons should be freight red - but it is an interesting take on freight red.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

This is one of the colours I cannot explain, again a mid 1977 one, it is the HUO I mentioned earlier. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhopperhuo/e18f65e9d What a colour! I still don't know why Accurascale wouldn't copy it! It fits with the instruction that unfitted wagons should be freight red - but it is an interesting take on freight red.

Paul

This is one of the first 498 with LNER style clasp brakes on all four wheels and central V hangers. The Accurascale version has push brake gear with offset V hangers. The centre stanchion was also subtly different in the early batches.

Clasp brakes to the left, disc braked to the right. Thank you for supplying your full size photos of the diagram 1/153, they helped considerably. I should also have removed the strengthening strips on the clasp braked wagon.

665251393_3xHUO(2).JPG.f8b75eaa39ad98bede7bcc3334e943cd.JPG

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1